Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,404

1 members and 2,403 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,102
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Geezy99
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

PVCX is heavier than plywood???

I had always thought one of the advantages of PVCX over wood was the light weight. I have found a source and was going to order, but looking at the technical data, it seems that it is MUCH heavier than plywood??? This doesn't seem to make sense.

You can see the weights of plywood here:
    http://parr.com/PDFs/PG_plywoodthickness.pdf

And here is technical data for the PVCX Komatex and Komacel:
    http://www.kommerlingusa.com/komatex/technical.cfml
    http://www.kommerlingusa.com/komacel/technical.cfml

As you can see, a 4X8 foot sheet of 3/4" thick plywood is about 60.8 pounds

However, the same size and thickness of PVCX are 94 pounds and 76 pounds per 4X8 sheet for the two brands respectively? Same pattern for the other thicknesses.

I wanted something light weight, now I am quite confused. Does anyone know?

BPnet Senior Member Rickys_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    What are you using it for?

Before my ex wife ruined my company (grumble grumble ) we used to manufacturer showcases and enclosures out of acrylic. It's very light.

Thanks

Re: PVCX is heavier than plywood???

Quote Originally Posted by Rickys_Reptiles View Post

Before my ex wife ruined my company (grumble grumble ) we used to manufacturer showcases and enclosures out of acrylic. It's very light.
    You should start that up again at some point.
    ~TJ~ Visit me on facebook! or Tweet me @MBReptiles

The Favorites:
    Ball Pythons Western Hognose
    1.0 Lithium Blaze
    1.0 Bee
    1.0 Spotnose
    1.0 Enchi
    0.1 Super Cinnamon
    0.2 Pastel
    0.3 Cinnamon
    0.1 Mojave
    0.1 Pinstripe
    0.1 Spotnose
    0.1 Het Hypo
    0.2 Het Pied
    1.1 Red Albino
    1.1 Orange Albino
    1.0 Albino Het Snow
    0.1 Het Snow
    1.0 Anaconda Het Albino
    0.1 Anaconda
    1.1 Het Pink Pastel
    0.5 Het Albino
    1.0 Het Snow
    0.1 Red Phase
    0.1 Pink Phase
    0.1 Green Phase

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

PVCX is heavier than plywood???

Can you get Forex sheets in the states? Its used here frequently its hard foam pvc supposedly really lightweight.

0.1 Albino
    0.2 Classic
    0.1 Het. Red Axanthic
    0.1 Mojave h. Ghost
    0.1 Pastel
    0.1 Spider h. Ghost
    1.0 Black Pastel
    1.0 Blue Eye Leucistic h. Ghost
    1.0 Lesser
    1.0 Pastel h. Ghost

0.1 Morelia bredli
    0.0.1 Varanus acanthurus (Silly)
    0.1 Brachypelma auratum
    0.1 Scottisch Fold (Tipsy)
    0.1 Abyssinian (Prim)

http://www.facebook.com/AAExoten

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rickys_Reptiles View Post

For making a snake rack. I am very very confused here, because I have been reading over and over "use PVCX, it's light weight. Melamine weighs a ton!". Then I found a supplier of PVCX and he can't answer my questions about whether it is hard enough for snake rack etc. The best he could do was let me visit their factory and inspect a sheet of their PVCX myself. They had Komatex and Komacel. I lifted the 4X8 foot sheets and they were heavier than I imagined, although not heavy. Obviously this isn't an indication of what a small sheet would weigh so I looked up the specs and it seems that plywood is MUCH lighter than PVCX!

To top it off, I had always thought when you guys talked about melamine that you meant plywood with the melamine coating on top, which is what I am using in my old racks. Thus, I thought PVCX would be a lightweight alternative (turns out it is even heavier?). Then a member here who has been trying to help, messaged me telling me not to use melamine because of many problems, but at the end one alternative he suggests melamine on plywood?? So "don't use melamine, use melamine on plywood instead"?

What exactly do you guys mean when you talk about "melamine"? Is it plywood or wood of some kind coated in a "melamine" cover? Or do you mean sheets of PURE melamine, which I didn't even know existed?

I feel like I'm tripping on acid. I think I am losing it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hungba View Post
    For making a snake rack. I am very very confused here, because I have been reading over and over "use PVCX, it's light weight. Melamine weighs a ton!". Then I found a supplier of PVCX and he can't answer my questions about whether it is hard enough for snake rack etc. The best he could do was let me visit their factory and inspect a sheet of their PVCX myself. They had Komatex and Komacel. I lifted the 4X8 foot sheets and they were heavier than I imagined, although not heavy. Obviously this isn't an indication of what a small sheet would weigh so I looked up the specs and it seems that plywood is MUCH lighter than PVCX!

To top it off, I had always thought when you guys talked about melamine that you meant plywood with the melamine coating on top, which is what I am using in my old racks. Thus, I thought PVCX would be a lightweight alternative (turns out it is even heavier?). Then a member here who has been trying to help, messaged me telling me not to use melamine because of many problems, but at the end one alternative he suggests melamine on plywood?? So "don't use melamine, use melamine on plywood instead"?

What exactly do you guys mean when you talk about "melamine"? Is it plywood or wood of some kind coated in a "melamine" cover? Or do you mean sheets of PURE melamine, which I didn't even know existed?

I feel like I'm tripping on acid. I think I am losing it.
    Melamine sheets are traditionally chip board rather than plywood. He is likely suggesting you buy plywood and use the melamine wrap to finish the plywood.
    ~TJ~ Visit me on facebook! or Tweet me @MBReptiles

The Favorites:
    Ball Pythons Western Hognose
    1.0 Lithium Blaze
    1.0 Bee
    1.0 Spotnose
    1.0 Enchi
    0.1 Super Cinnamon
    0.2 Pastel
    0.3 Cinnamon
    0.1 Mojave
    0.1 Pinstripe
    0.1 Spotnose
    0.1 Het Hypo
    0.2 Het Pied
    1.1 Red Albino
    1.1 Orange Albino
    1.0 Albino Het Snow
    0.1 Het Snow
    1.0 Anaconda Het Albino
    0.1 Anaconda
    1.1 Het Pink Pastel
    0.5 Het Albino
    1.0 Het Snow
    0.1 Red Phase
    0.1 Pink Phase
    0.1 Green Phase

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TJ_Burton View Post
    Melamine sheets are traditionally chip board rather than plywood. He is likely suggesting you buy plywood and use the melamine wrap to finish the plywood.
    Well perhaps this is where the confusion was from. I do not live in the USA and the "Melamine" we have available here are ALL plywood coated with the melamine wrap. I have not seen the chip board version at all except in imported furniture, but never sold as material here. They have chipboard, they have plywood coated in melamine wrap, but not chipboard in melamine wrap.

So, the "toxicity" from "melamine" is from the glues in the CHIPBOARD, and not directly from the "melamine" wrap? I thought it was the melamine wrap that was outgassing formaldehyde.

Also, when comparing weights, you guys mean the Chipboard coated with melamine is too heavy, hence use of PVCX? I presume the chipboard coated with melamine is a lot heavier than PLYWOOD coated with melamine? Because from the technical data is seems that PLYWOOD is even lighter than PVCX. If this is true there is no reason for me to pay for PVCX as it is 4 times the price of plywood covered in melamine here, and the latter is available across the street from where I live. I wanted something lighter and before I saw it I was expecting PVCX to be really like like styrofoam or something.
    Last edited by hungba; 06-07-2013 at 12:58 PM.

Thanks
    Also, i think people usually only use 1/2" pvc as it won't sag like thinner melamine can. That would probly be where the weight savings comes from. just an educated guess though as I have not worked with pvc before.
    Last edited by Darkbird; 06-07-2013 at 01:03 PM.
    Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket?

Never argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with their experience.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Well, I was planning to make the rack two 32 qt tubs across, and 13 levels high. People keep telling me that "melamine" would sag at 1/2", but my "melamine" (plywood) of 1/2" does not seem nearly as bendy. Do you think if my shelves are two tubs across (31 to 33" across or so for each shelf) that PLYWOOD covered in melamine (not the particle board) at 1/2" would suffice and not sag?

I would presume that plywood is a lot stronger than particle board?
    Last edited by hungba; 06-07-2013 at 01:25 PM.

Thanks
    I would think as long as you use the 3/4" ply you should be fine. Ply is a lot less likely to sag in my experience, and definately weighs less than the particle board at the same thickness. I wouldn't mind finding some melamine coated ply here, but i haven't seen it before.
    Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket?

Never argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with their experience.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast