Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,201

0 members and 3,201 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    Thanks

The Doobie Brothers have nothing to do with Dubia Roaches...

non sequitur,

I just got 100 dubia roaches and I am starting my own breeding colony. Now some may say that 100 is too small to start from, but I disagree as I am an ambitious man. And like all ambitious men I am patient enough, like good ol' Brutus. I don't think genetic diversity should be an issue, but if it posses a challenge I'd pick up more males as needed.

I am just so excited to only need crickets...never. I mean, I am also starting a superworm colony, so with Superworms and Dubia as my staple I would plan on embellishing the arthropod smorgasbord with waxworms, mealworms, and yeah.....even crickets.

I will be feeding a leopard gecko, a crested gecko, an african sideneck turtle, and a metallic pinktoe. Who knows, if all goes well and I find myself with a crazy impossible surplus I can get a bearded dragon and still afford to feed myself.
    Ride the snake, ride the snake/ To the lake, the ancient lake, baby/ The snake is long, seven miles/ Ride the snake...he's old, and his skin is cold... (The End, The Doors)
    _____________________________________________________________________________
    Ball python 1.1 Leopard Gecko 1 Crested Gecko 1 African Side Neck Turtle 0.1 Giant Plated Lizard 1 Ribbon Snake 0.0.1 Corn Snake 0.0.1 Tiger Salamander 0.0.1 Metallic Pinktoe Tarantula 0.1 Black Lab/Pit Bull mix 1

Thanks
    Sounds fun! Good luck with your colony. Genetic diversity shouldn't be an issue, at least I don't think so.
    Chloe
    0.1 Het Hypo- Indy
    The cup is useful because of it's emptiness

Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 1,596 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As long as you're not too anxious to start feeding. I've got a friend who started with new colonies of roaches several times before figuring them out. I finally sat her down and explained that it takes a whole 6 months for the roaches to reach adulthood and start breeding. She thought they 'bred like roaches' and was feeding the large ones to her monitors and the smaller ones to her bearded dragons and was wondering why her colonies kept dwindling down to nothing. Once I got her to stop feeding off the adult breeders she started doing much better.

Thanks

Re: The Doobie Brothers have nothing to do with Dubia Roaches...

I actually appreciate you telling me that. My leopard gecko already recognizes the smell they give off because he'll run out of his hides to check on me as I check on the roaches. I don't know who is more anxious for him to eat Prime South American Roach Steak, me or Jim.

I figure that once I get to around 6months like you said I'll have a reasonable turnover if I supplement with supers and crickets (ever after until never ever again)

But I can see why a herp would want a roach over a cricket. the roaches are soooooooo juicy looking.
    Ride the snake, ride the snake/ To the lake, the ancient lake, baby/ The snake is long, seven miles/ Ride the snake...he's old, and his skin is cold... (The End, The Doors)
    _____________________________________________________________________________
    Ball python 1.1 Leopard Gecko 1 Crested Gecko 1 African Side Neck Turtle 0.1 Giant Plated Lizard 1 Ribbon Snake 0.0.1 Corn Snake 0.0.1 Tiger Salamander 0.0.1 Metallic Pinktoe Tarantula 0.1 Black Lab/Pit Bull mix 1

Thanks
    Thanked 7,979 Times in 5,583 Posts

The Doobie Brothers have nothing to do with Dubia Roaches...

I got mine from the China Grove whoaaaaaohhhh china grove
    1.0 normal bp
    mad roaches yo