Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,206

0 members and 3,206 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Large amount of water moccasins

Can't really add much more to what Jason has said, he speaks sense.

An easy way to show they aren't out to bite you, is by placing it on the floor and walk 2 meters away and see what the snake does. Simple, no ridiculous free handling heroics.

This is a reptile forum, anyone with half a brain cell understands that reptiles (and animals) in general aren't aggressive by nature. But they're defensive when they feel threatened, differs between species and individuals.

It's like all these shows that have disclaimers saying 'don't try this at home'. Kids will try it, because they've seen it been done by someone else and think its safe for them to do the same thing. The same applies here, free handlers can say 'don't try this' all they want, but the damage is already done once they post pictures - irresponsible behaviour.

Just a while ago on Instagram, a teenager was tagged by a cottonmouth after engaging in free handling. Which I have no doubt, he would've picked up from pictures like you have demonstrated.

Thanks

Re: Large amount of water moccasins

I know I'm a little late to the party, but I found Cody's demonstration very educational of the fact that they are not out to chase us down and gobble us up. Do you really know Cody and his experience? Or the numerous trips he has taken to educate us all on snakes of the world and other species? He is one of my main go to guys if I ever have a question...especially when it comes to my retic and he is always more than happy and unselfish to take his valuable time to help myself and others learn...the way they did for him. I only hope to have half the knowledge he does as it pertains to these beautiful animals.

I have no problem with him posting a picture of him free handling a venomous. I have two pre-teen boys. Kids will always be kids and their lack of fear and true understanding will always feed them into doing stupid things regardless of pictures or what they see on the Internet. When I as growing up we didn't have the Internet, cell phones, XBox, or computers...and we still made poor decisions; we were kids...that is was kids do. WE are here to TEACH THEM. And if they live in an area that has venomous, more than likely they have been taught NOT to go near them. If they choose to tempt fate knowing a venomous could end their life, it has nothing to do with what they see on the Internet. That's like saying kids are going to be more violent playing violent video games. Hundreds of millions of kids play violent video games and are growing up to be normal, productive members of society. Yet one or two people go on a shooting rampage and he just happened to be a fan of some specific violent video game and now everyone who plays that game is demonized. I call BS!

My point is this. Education leads to understanding. We have done so much to educate our family, friends, co-workers, and strangers about how each species interacts with and are vital to our ecosystem; debunking myth after myth with real information. We need to continue to do so, venomous or constrictor. Colubrid, boa, or python. With each and every chance we get, we can demystify the irrational fears no matter what family or genus they come from. Without education, we can kiss the all goodbye.

Off my soap box now. Thanks Cody!

Burmese Pythons: 1.0 Albino [George]

Reticulated Pythons: 1.0 White Phase [Zeus]

Ball Pythons:
    0.1 Spider [Isis] | 0.2 Normal [Athena/Pandora]

Carpet Pythons: 0.1 Jungle [Pris]

Colombian BCI: 1.0 Crimson/Pastel [Pablo] | 1.0 Hypo Salmon [Escobar] | 0.1 Pastel [Haven]

Black Rat Snakes: 0.1 Albino [Malachi]

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Willie76 For This Useful Post:

Annarose15 (07-15-2013),cory9oh4 (08-11-2013),reptileexperts (07-27-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 993 Posts

Large amount of water moccasins

Sorry for the delay on this - but thanks Willie! It's good to hear those kind thoughts.

Free handling is not something that should be done. In fact in the last 2 weeks I've been traveling in San Diego working with sidewinders and free handling never happened... In fact I handled them with tongs or hooks ... And only when I had to manipulate or move them. No boastful showmanship, or stunts.

However, I do and will stand by the power of free handling when done proper. But it does come at a huge risk!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Retics are my passion. Just ask.

www.wildimaging.net www.facebook.com/wildimaging

"...That which we do not understand, we fear. That which we fear, we destroy. Thus eliminating the fear" ~Explains every killed snake"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123