Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,279

1 members and 3,278 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 993 Posts

Large amount of water moccasins

Actually it's called high quality camera took this picture. . . Why photoshop a free handling shot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Retics are my passion. Just ask.

www.wildimaging.net www.facebook.com/wildimaging

"...That which we do not understand, we fear. That which we fear, we destroy. Thus eliminating the fear" ~Explains every killed snake"

Thanks

Re: Large amount of water moccasins

Quote Originally Posted by reptileexperts View Post
    Actually it's called high quality camera took this picture. . . Why photoshop a free handling shot?

I think the better question would be why take a free handling shot? Or even more important, why free handle any hot?
    Visit us for all your housing needs http://www.herphouses.com/

Thanks
    More body support than hooks, and no stress on the tail even when you are grabbing tha back half properyl. More humane than tongs IMO . . . as long as safety was cautioned, it was ok. Not to advocate free handling hots in the LEAST.

"...That which we do not understand, we fear. That which we fear, we destroy. Thus eliminating the fear" ~Explains every killed snake"

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

More body support than hooks, and no stress on the tail even when you are grabbing tha back half properyl. More humane than tongs IMO . . . as long as safety was cautioned, it was ok. Not to advocate free handling hots in the LEAST.
    Get a wide hook made if you're that concerned about support. Using two hooks is more than sufficient.

Showing pictures of you free handling I just irresponsible, how many impressionable youngsters are on this website?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Crotalids View Post
    Get a wide hook made if you're that concerned about support. Using two hooks is more than sufficient.

Showing pictures of you free handling I just irresponsible, how many impressionable youngsters are on this website?
    Heh as to the point to post it here is was clearly a statement to their attitude. Yes there are kids on here who are impressionable. No doubt. While they should not copy what I've done they should be nle to see that these snakes are not out to get you just because they are venomous.

Thanks

I'm sorry. And I'm not trying to pick a fight. But it is important that people who are not expierienced with hots (and unfortunately some people that are) understand that people must respect and take every available precaution when working with venomous reptiles. You in no way observed safety protocols by using your hands to pick up a venomous snake regardless of how calm and not inclined to bite you believe this specimen was. And regardless if you intended to or not, by posting a picture of you free handling a hot you have advocated the free handling of hots. Remember even ball pythons bite sometimes.

Thanks

Lol again the purpose is to show they are not aggressive monsters they are made out to be. I have been working with hots for about 13 years now. Experience does matter. . .

Thanks

Lol again the purpose is to show they are not aggressive monsters they are made out to be. I have been working with hots for about 13 years now. Experience does matter. . .

I understand what your trying to show. And I agree people need to understand that just because and animal is venomous does not make it a more aggressive animal. But free handling a hot is not a great way to make that point. The fact that you've been working with hots for 13 years just tells me that you should have the expiernce to know better. I've been keeping hots for 17 years. I've (knock on wood) never had a bite. And big part of that is I always observe proper safety protocols and don't take risks like putting myself within the strike range of venomous animals simply because I believe I have the experience to know that animal isn't going to bite me. I have however seen a very competent keeper with over 20 Years of expiernce take a bite in the face from a large puff adder because he was trying to show someone how docile and trustworthy that animal was. I hope you don't have to learn the hard way that free handling hot's for any reason is a bad idea. And I really hope that your actions don't inspire any less expiernced keepers to make the same bad choices that your photo displayed.

Thanks

Mine was a personal choice. Bad is your opinion not the fact of the matter. While It may look bad to some it's eye opening to many many many others because it crosses that line in their minds. These are the intended audiences for images of free handling wild hots. And while this was the last time I free handled I actually do things much Much differently now.

Thanks
    At some point I do plan to move to a state where we can keep hots. I thanked Cody's original post because it shows that these animals aren't bloodthirsty killers looking for any excuse to tag you. While I may be a bit more mature about researching then some of the impressionable folks you (Jason) are talking about, this in no way made me think that I would free handle these animals. I understand that it could give some folks the wrong idea but Cody did already say that he in no way advocates people handle hots this way.

I feel the same way when I see folks on youtube handling their large constrictors 12+FT alone. On the one hand I don't like that type of video to be widely available to folks who don't do the research. On the other I like them because they show that these animals aren't looking to make you a meal just because they can attempt to.
    5.5.13 C. Ciliatus - Specialize in Super Dals
    0.0.1 V. Exanthematicus (Skorge)
    4.4 U. Lineatus
    1.2 N. Amyae
    1.2.2 N. levis levis
    1.0 U. Pietschmanni (Pietsch)
    5.2.2 U. Fimbriatus

Lots of BPs focusing on Clown stuff in 2014.

1.0 P. Reticulatus 50% Dwarf Purple Albino het Gen Stripe

Chris from The Lizard Horde
    www.thelizardhorde.com
    Our Iherp Reptile Collection
    https://www.facebook.com/TheLizardHorde

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast