Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,484

1 members and 3,483 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    I would look into any grain free kibble, also they have prepackaged raw diets that are decent. They come in patties. Dont cook the meat though, your better off feeding kibble if you do.
    I fed Natures Variety Instinct patties for a while and it was alright. I prefer prey model raw though..

The dog food adviser website is a great start! I also fed TOTW before and I loved it, cant say a bad thing about it or other Diamond brand dog foods.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to pookie! For This Useful Post:

Newbie Ball (06-01-2013)

Thanks
    I'm obsessive about reading dog food labels.

I only feed grain free, but it's not absolutely necessary to feed grain free. I just don't feel that a dog needs to have grain in their diet, but that's really a personal decision. One grain NO dog (or cat) food should have is corn. They cannot digest it, and it's a cheap, junk filler.

Look at the first five ingredients of the food; that will give you the overall feel of whether the food is good quality or not.
    The first ingredient should be a named meat product, preferably a meal. Ingredients on dog food are listed in order by weight, and a meat meal is dehydrated, so 'chicken meal' has more meat than just 'chicken,' since chicken is heavy in water content before being dehydrated. Be sure it is a NAMED meat product, though. If it just says 'meat meal,' move onto the next bag. Using a vague name is how dog food companies get away with using euthanized zoo and shelter animals - they throw literally whatever animals they can get for cheap in the bag.

I used to feed EVO, but I switched my little man to Nature's Variety Instinct due to recalls.
    Some grain free foods I would recommend are:
    Wellness CORE
    Orijen
    Taste of the Wild (probably the most budget friendly)
    Acana
    Blue Wilderness
    Merrick's Before Grain

Foods with grain I'd recommend are:
    Wellness
    Merrick
    Nature's Variety Prairie
    Innova (made by same company as EVO)
    Blue Buffalo

There are so many dog foods out there available on the market out there, you gotta just go look and try out and see what works for your budget and your dog(s).

P.S. Nature's Variety also has pre-packaged raw meals. I feed my ferrets a raw diet, but sometimes I'm lazy and don't feel like doing their food, so I always have a bag of the medallions on hand for those days. They DEFINITELY prefer their prey, though.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Konotashi For This Useful Post:

satomi325 (06-14-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts

Re: Alternatives from raw diet?

Some shameless advertisement for the Raw/Whole Prey Diet Appreciation Thread.

Feel free to inquire information or share your experiences.

http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...aphic-warning*

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12