Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,010

1 members and 3,009 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

SyHy4455 (58)

» Stats

Members: 75,122
Threads: 248,564
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, SyHy4455
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Newbie Ball python owner with a couple of questions

Hi, I am a new owner to a 2013 female ball. I'm not new to snakes as I own 4 altogether, but balls are a bit different than colubrids. First question, I've had her for a little over 3 weeks, and try feeding a fuzzy mouse every Thursday. She has yet to eat for me. I've tried everything from dangling it outside her hide, to scenting it with rat, to leaving it in over night. I suppose this is a 2 part question First is the size of the prey too small? And second, any tips you ball owners can offer?
    She is in a 4 tub rack system with belly heat. The tape is at a constant 83-85 (hooked to a cheaper thermostat for now). I have a digital thermometer where I read to put it on the tape itself and not inside the tub. Is that ok? Should I put it inside, or just raise the temp slightly? The other 2 snakes that currently call the rack home, (corn and king) have no issues feeding. I know their temps are slightly lower than a ball, but they feed just fine at the higher temps.
    And I know balls are picky eaters sometimes, and they fast for absolutely no reason, but she's just a baby! She weighed in 2 weeks ago at 74 grams and has stayed steady 72-74 so I wasn't getting too concerned, but now thinking it been such a stretch for not feeding I thought I'd go looking for opinions and tips. Any help would be appreciated, and any extra tips that might make her more comfortable would be great.

Thanks so much,
    Kendra

Thanks
    I'd get it on RATs right away. Start with offering rat pups. If you're not going the rat route, just offer appropriate size mouse every 5-7 days.

I start all my babies on live rat pups. It peaks their interest alot. They easily switch to FT 5-10 meals later.

Basically, just keep trying to feed it every so often, until you notice it starts dropping down in weight, then you may have to assist feed(fairly simple once you know what/how to do)

Thanks
    Thank you for your quick response, I will look into getting some rat pups. No pet stores nearby, I buy all my feeders online, so no live available! I own 2 pet rats (both male or I'd breed) and that's how I scent the mice.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Yes, a fuzzy mouse is on the small side. We start our hatchlings on mouse hoppers, so I would suggest nothing smaller than that. Was she eating F/T before you got her? If not, I would try live for a few feedings to get her eating, then try and switch to F/T. I would also bump the hot side temp to at least 85. How big is her tub?

Thanks
    Yes, she had been feeding on f/t before I got her. I have small mice for my other snakes, would that work until I get rat pups? Her tub dimensions are 16 1/8" x23 3/4" x 6" /30.6 quarts.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Small mice should be about the perfect size. That tub is biggish for a hatchling, so it might help to really clutter it up with crumpled newspaper or something. I'd also recommend asking the person you got her from how they normally offered her food.

Thanks
    I have shredded newspaper as her bedding plus a sheet of newspaper on the bottom. She has a cave hide, that I think may be too big. I'm looking into smaller hides now. I will clutter it up some. I've heard glass aquariums aren't the best, reason I don't remember, but I have a 10 gal just sitting around. Would that maybe make her feel more secure?

Thanks
    Most people keep them in clear rubbermaid type containers, ranging from 6quarts/12q/28q/32q/42q. Depending on size.
    A smaller aqarium would probably provide more security though. Hides should be just big enough for them to get in, they dont like oversized hides, they like to feel wedged in there.

The reason aquariums aren't the best, is most have open top type lids, which dont allow for any humidity to really hold in the environment. Easily solved with a lid adjustment. Also, glass is such a hastle to move around when cleaning. Its not as bad when you have 1 snake, but as you can see lots of us have 5-10 even 20-100 +. Glass isn't really the best option.

Depends on your situation.

Thanks
    I currently own 4 snakes, so yes the tubs are great for even me with my small collection that seems to get bigger each month I will be picking up smaller sized hides from a friend today so hopefully that will help. I am also in search of live rat pups, to try and see if that works. I'm doing everything to try and make her comfortable, worse comes to worse I will try to rehome her with a more experienced herper, as I don't want to be the reason she don't make it. I live in a small town in MI, where reptiles aren't very common, so feeders are even less common.
    Are there any other tricks to try with f/t? Say she was on live, anything to transition her to frozen? I have yet to hear back, but I'm going to assume maybe that's why she's not eating as I can figure out no other reason.
    I turned the thermostat up, it is now hitting 87 and staying consistant to that temp.

Thank you everybody for your replies. It is greatly appreciated!

Thanks
    Just make the few adjustments, give her time to settle in. Always feed in the least disturbing manor with baby balls. They frighten easily and will not eat if something spooks them.

Tips would be,
    Make sure the prey is really warm. not just room temp or slightly above. It really triggers better feeding response.
    Try feeding at night when active, again try not to spook the snake with any loud vibrations or the likes, shadows and whatnot.

Baby balls can be picky, but most will come around when they're hungry enough. Don't be discouraged, no need to re-home it. All it may take is a simple assist feed to get it eating again, but you're not at that point just yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast