Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,358

3 members and 3,355 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    Thanks

New here 1st BP saying hello and I need some help.

Hello, this is my first post and my first ball python.Pretty sure its just a "normal" I rescued him from craigslist on a whim and happy that I did because I've wanted one for a long time now. I have yet to name him yet but I'm thinking hard. He came with the basics (20gal long glass cage,UTH with no thermostat ,hide,water dish) which i will slowly change out for new nicer stuff when some money comes in.

The past owner fed him a few days prior to his arrival. I've taken him out twice since I've gotten him both times no problem very tame and adjusting well. Problem is it looks like he is shedding in pieces and there's weird marks on his belly. Since all this is new to me I would love some help/info/advice. Here are some pictures

shedding

heres what I'm concerned about, I hope it isn't bad.

Weird stuff is it scale rot? burn? normal shedding? did this guy throw a dying snake on me? I wont be able to take him to the vet for a little while so please any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Hello and welcome (Although I'm new here like you)

You should check it first with a herp VET

You should have thermostat in both sides (cool side and hot spot)
    Last edited by m6s0ud; 05-22-2013 at 03:54 AM.

Thanks
    ill be getting a thermostat this weekend and ill take him to a vet in the next few weeks. he seems okay active and thermoregulating

Thanks
    Looks like a bad burn...no matter what it is, paper towel substrate would be best to keep it clean soak in warm water (around 80 is what my snakes prefer) to help with the shed
    Mine's bigger.

Thanks

New here 1st BP saying hello and I need some help.

Yea looks like a burn get him on paper towel substrate to help keep it clean. Problem shedding looks like from low humidity as stated soak him an you can let him "dry" himself by loosely holding him in a towel an letting him slither threw it. Take sarin wrap an cover like 3/4 of the tanks screen lid, I have one snake still in a tank I use a towel on it with a big water bowl he can fit in a I spray the tank, when he sheds I spray tank more and dampen the towel on top.
    Normals 1.3
    Spider .1
    Carpet Python .1
    Dog APBT .1

Thanks
    Thanks for the replies ill help him shed tonight or tomorrow since im seeing two very small pieces in the tank and some hanging off his neck area I'm getting a thermostat asap even if its just a cheap one and im looking for a new cage to house him in thats pleasing to the eye yet holds the heat and humidity since my roomates like to bump the A/C (im not complaining as I don't have to pay for the bill.) I want to move him into our room which is much warmer but my girlfriend has two robo dwarf hamsters and I don't want problems when handling my snake.

Thanks
    Yeah, that's definitely a burn, totally do what everyone else is suggesting to swap to paper towel and maybe try to give him a soak in 1:10 Betadine to help keep it clean. You'll want to sterilize the rest of the enclosure too since bacteria loves burns which you can go about by either using 1:10 bleach or boiling water, or a veterinary cleaner like F10SC, and run anything that can through the dishwasher. Also heavily consider getting him to a herp vet ASAP. And if you're going to try to help him shed, be very careful of the skin on his stomach, you don't want to hurt him or open up any wounds so if it doesn't come away easily, it will be best to just leave it until otherwise advised by a vet.

Also, you shouldn't have issues with the hamsters as long as you don't handle them and then handle the snake without washing your hands.
    The Ball Pythons
    0.1 2002 normal "Noodle", 1.0 2011 albino "Mosh", 0.1 2011 pinstripe "Pepper", 1.0 2009 lesser "Cato, 0.1 2010 spider "Phoebe", 1.0 2011 pastel 50% het. hypo "Toad", 0.1 2012 black pewter "Pomona", 0.1 2013 kingpin "Marvel", 0.0.7 lesserxspider eggs

The Others
    0.1 2013 p. baroni "Hyacinth", 0.1 2013 CB g. oxycephala "Laurasia", 1.0 2013 T+ albino p. brongersmai "Reinhardt", 1.0 2012 CH g. oxycephala "Gondwana"

The Dearly Departed
    0.1 2012-2013 hypo black pastel "Dexter"

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MisterKyte For This Useful Post:

CP420 (05-25-2013)

BPnet Veteran Coopers Constrictors's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: New here 1st BP saying hello and I need some help.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterKyte View Post
    Yeah, that's definitely a burn, totally do what everyone else is suggesting to swap to paper towel and maybe try to give him a soak in 1:10 Betadine to help keep it clean. You'll want to sterilize the rest of the enclosure too since bacteria loves burns which you can go about by either using 1:10 bleach or boiling water, or a veterinary cleaner like F10SC, and run anything that can through the dishwasher. Also heavily consider getting him to a herp vet ASAP. And if you're going to try to help him shed, be very careful of the skin on his stomach, you don't want to hurt him or open up any wounds so if it doesn't come away easily, it will be best to just leave it until otherwise advised by a vet.

Also, you shouldn't have issues with the hamsters as long as you don't handle them and then handle the snake without washing your hands.
    This. Best of luck and keep us updated.
    Last edited by Coopers Constrictors; 05-22-2013 at 09:54 PM.
    Best Regards,

Jeremy Cooper
    Cooper's Constrictors

Website / Facebook

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Coopers Constrictors For This Useful Post:

CP420 (05-25-2013)

Thanks
    Thanks guys you are very helpful and quick too! will keep updates

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks guys you are very helpful and quick too! will keep updates

Thanks
    Took him out again last night. He really seems to likes me I've decided to call him Reggie. I'm waiting to see if he will shed on his own he is a lot softer than when I got him and the humidity is better than what is was in the tank. his hot side has paper towels and the cold side has repti bark but only a little and when misting the tank should i mist the paper towels as well or keep them dry?

and a couple problem pics im concerned about.Is this an open wound?

this looks like a scab near his spurs and vent

any input? I'm taking him to the vet asap