Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,335

1 members and 3,334 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    So explaine then what is a recessive trait? What is a "codominant", and what is a dominant?
    I beg to differ. I am more of a mind that most of what we breed are simple recessive.
    Lotsa Balls and more

http://www.tessadasexotics.com/

Thanks
    Thanked 3,036 Times in 2,147 Posts
    revisit my last picture ...

If het clown is recessive why does it alter everything it touches in pattern and in color?
    Jerry Robertson

3. The Following User Says Thank You to snakesRkewl For This Useful Post:

satomi325 (05-19-2013)

Thanks
    We do not have co-dominant traits in ball pythons "that I know of", they are incomplete dominant(heterozygous) and dominant(homozygous)
    Jerry Robertson

BPnet Veteran majorleaguereptiles's Avatar
    Thanks

What are Pieds? (Jinx)

Quote Originally Posted by snakesRkewl View Post

If het clown is recessive why does it alter everything it touches in pattern and in color?
    Bc it's not recessive. Good for you to see that. That is what a great breeder does and what I preach in this ball python industry. Don't let standards hold you back. I don't, and I'm very successful doing this.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to majorleaguereptiles For This Useful Post:

snakesRkewl (05-19-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts

Re: What are Pieds? (Jinx)

Quote Originally Posted by snakesRkewl View Post

Exactly. Wholly agree. I've been saying this for a while as well.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Thanks

What are Pieds? (Jinx)

Quote Originally Posted by TessadasExotics View Post
    So explaine then what is a recessive trait? What is a "codominant", and what is a dominant?
    I beg to differ. I am more of a mind that most of what we breed are simple recessive.
    I think you should turn the heat down on your comments. You seem to be getting agitated for some reason. We are all friends here.

Thanks
    Another example, Virgin sRk line yellowbelly female bred to clown male and produced the sRk line yellowbelly 100% het clown male in the picture with her.

Clown in het form is a color and pattern changer.
    Last edited by snakesRkewl; 05-19-2013 at 11:45 PM.
    Jerry Robertson

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to snakesRkewl For This Useful Post:

Aes_Sidhe (05-20-2013),Coleslaw007 (05-21-2013),satomi325 (05-20-2013)

Thanks

Re: What are Pieds? (Jinx)

You can not change genetics. Pieds are recessive. Albinos are recessive. Laves are. Carmels are. Axanthics are.
    The genetic terms used in the ball python world are already wrong. So why try to make things worse?

By definition.
    In genetics, a:recessive gene or allele is one in which the effect is not tangible, or is masked by the effects of the dominant gene. The recessivetrait may be expressed when the recessive genes are in homozygous condition or when the dominant gene is not present. That happens when anorganism inherits a pair of recessive genes from its parents.
    No, we might not can change genetics, but we certainly can do a little more research to UNDERSTAND the genetics better. Your view in this post makes you sound very narrow minded since you aren't open to the possibility that saying pied/clown/whathaveyou COULD be something other than recessive. In order for science to progress, we have to question the paradigms that exist. Currently, the paradigm is exactly what you're staying. However, most of us are arguing that pieds/cowns/etc are not in fact recessive but some kind of incomplete dominant gene. This is our way of questioning the paradigm in the hopes to further science. Think about it, if we can use genetics and genome mapping to prove that these genes are not actually recessive, can you imagine all the other questions we can answer in this hobby? I think it's a great topic for Genetic students in colleges to study. I was almost a biology major and if I had continued that path, I probably would have done a thesis on this kind of thing.

I think you know what those traits are...I just don't think you're matching the ball python morphs to the correct type of trait. Like I said above, this theory needs a lot of testing and if it's correct, it would open a world of new questions for this hobby!

It kinda makes me giddy inside just thinking about it!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BHReptiles For This Useful Post:

snakesRkewl (05-20-2013),whispersinmyhead (05-21-2013)

Thanks
    Lol!
    Look you guys are not looking at genetics and truely understanding what they are. Just because you "might" be able to see "markers" in some snakes that are het does not make it an incomplete dominant and not a simple recessive. Is the clown gene expressed in a het? Is hypo expressed in a het hypo? Is pied expressed in a het ? Absolutely not. Those genes are NOT expressed. There may be hints as to the animal carrying the one gene for that trait, but it IS NOT expressed. It is pretty simple, cut and dry. The clown gene being "expressed" means that the simple recessive clown gene is paired and it looks like a clown. If it does not have BOTH copies of that gene, it is not expressed.
    Lotsa Balls and more

Thanks
    Also like I said. Do a little research on genetics. Learn what incomplete dominance does. Learn what dominance does. And apparently what a simple recessive is.
    Discussions like this in an open forum is horrible to our hobby. We already use enough wrong terms. Why give other people wrong or missguided information to make it worse? Most people think that ball python males are "breedable" because they are producing "sperm pluggs". Ball pythons DO NOT produce sperm pluggs. Those hemipene sheds are not pluggs. If ball pythons produced sperm pluggs you could NOT have multiple fathered clutches.
    Lotsa Balls and more

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast