Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,318

4 members and 3,314 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Seriously, FedEx?

Quote Originally Posted by callmemacc View Post
    ...to make matters worse she think ignores the sign that clearly says perishable on the box and begins tossing my box with my ball between her hands.
    The same happened to me at the hub. Box is labeled perishable and the woman comes out flipping it around. I politely asked her to stop because it might be annoying the snake inside. She freaked!

She told me she thought the box had cheese in it because it said perishable.

Thanks
    Not sure why no one is labling the boxes with the words "Live harmless reptile" but I would think that would solve some of the handling issues. Just having "Perishable" on the box would make even me think it was just a food product or something. The admittidly one time I have had animals shipped was through fed-ex, and those words made the driver take extra care with the package. He kept it in the cab where the heat was and even asks if he could come in for a minute to watch me unbox what I had.

Now, I'm not excusing the way some of these guys behave, but as someone who has worked in the shipping industry, I can tell you these guys are kept extremely busy, sometimes to the point that I see them literally running in and out of their stops. If they don't have a clear idea that they are hauling a live animal, they will not spare a second for extra effort for that package. They simply aren't given the time. I firmly believe that most of these people would treat our critters with respect if they know what they are dealing with. Of course I also acknowledge that some will just be jerks anyway. Thats what happens when dealing with people.
    Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket?

Never argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with their experience.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Darkbird For This Useful Post:

Badgemash (07-06-2013),Foschi Exotic Serpents (05-12-2013),Robyn@SYR (05-13-2013),SnowShredder (05-13-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,951 Times in 1,357 Posts
    I am lucky I guess. We have a hub only 15min from my house and I have my packages held for pickup there. When I receive a reptile and the box has "Live Harmless Reptile" printed on it, the lady who manages the hub will pull that box for me and put it in her personal office. When I get there promptly at 9am, the box is ready and waiting in a quiet temperature controlled room. And she asks me to open my package there so she can see what I've got (which I don't mind doing as I can immediately check to be sure the animal traveled well). They are good there.

They simply aren't given the time. I firmly believe that most of these people would treat our critters with respect if they know what they are dealing with. Of course I also acknowledge that some will just be jerks anyway. That's what happens when dealing with people.
    I do agree with Darkbird on this point. I also make NO excuses for some of these guys' behavior, but this is why labeling the boxes correctly is so important. It's a start.
    ~ Kali
    www.facebook.com/kaliopereptiles

Check out my collection:
    Do you?

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,155 Times in 615 Posts

Seriously, FedEx?

Quote Originally Posted by toyota89 View Post
    But if I ship I have it sent to my wife's work.
    this. if you have a business you can get it shipped to thats open during delivery hours, theres no way the driver will just "leave it on the door step." if the place is open they take it right on inside. at least in my experience. every snake i've had shipped i got sent to my moms vet clinic. havent had a problem yet.

Thanks
    I've had snakes shipped twice through FedEx. First time, had it held at a hub which is literally, right across the street from where I work. The guys there were kind enough to answer the 4-5 calls I gave them asking if the box was inside, upright, and not buried under a pile of other packages. When I picked it up, both gentlemen who'd taken my calls came over and asked if they could see what I was so worried about. Opened the box, all the corns were packed wonderfully in their deli cups, and both of the guys backed up a few feet. They thought I'd been worried about food.

The second time, my husband was home so I had them deliver to the house. The doorbell never rung but our furry alarm system (2 dogs) let him know that my pastave boy had arrived so he was brought inside right away.

I don't mind home delivery as long as it's going to be a decent day (not hot/cold) but having it held was so much simpler. No worries about truck temps, being left on the doorstep, or wrong delivery address.
    Ball Pythons: 1.1 Pastave (Regulus and Ceti), 0.1 Albino (Aria), 0.1 Lesser (Daenerys), 0.1 Mojave (Sangria), 1.0 Enchi Pastel (Declan), 0.1 Normal (Sydney), 1.0 Lesser pos. het Clown/Pied (Loki), 1.0 het Clown pos. het lavender albino (Liam), 0.2 het Clown (Cara and Milly)

Corn Snakes: 1.0 Blizzard (Flurry)

Other: 0.1 Bearded Dragon (Faranth), 0.1 Russian Tortoise (Henry), 1.1 Dogs (Floppy and Lucy), 2.1 Cats (Jack, Brando, and Godiva), 1 Very Understanding Husband

Reptiles EVERYWHERE! Foschi Exotic Serpents's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,292 Posts

Seriously, FedEx?

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbird View Post
    Not sure why no one is labling the boxes with the words "Live harmless reptile" but I would think that would solve some of the handling issues. Just having "Perishable" on the box would make even me think it was just a food product or something. The admittidly one time I have had animals shipped was through fed-ex, and those words made the driver take extra care with the package. He kept it in the cab where the heat was and even asks if he could come in for a minute to watch me unbox what I had.

Now, I'm not excusing the way some of these guys behave, but as someone who has worked in the shipping industry, I can tell you these guys are kept extremely busy, sometimes to the point that I see them literally running in and out of their stops. If they don't have a clear idea that they are hauling a live animal, they will not spare a second for extra effort for that package. They simply aren't given the time. I firmly believe that most of these people would treat our critters with respect if they know what they are dealing with. Of course I also acknowledge that some will just be jerks anyway. Thats what happens when dealing with people.
    EXACTLY!!!!! Are you guys reading THIS reply?! This is along the lines of what I was going to type after reading a few pages of replies and realizing no ones box said "Live Harmless Reptile" on it. Come on, really? Just so you know, this is actually required. If the box doesn't say this and it gets abused, whose fault is it?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts

Actually, all of my boxes have said live harmless reptile. I just forgot to mention it on my previous post as I thought it was a shipping standard. I just think some drivers are just so into the routine of delivering packages that some just don't read the boxes carefully.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by satomi325; 05-12-2013 at 10:46 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to satomi325 For This Useful Post:

Foschi Exotic Serpents (05-13-2013)

Thanks
    Keep in mind that unless you specifically book a package with Delivery Confirmation, no signature is required for delivery. The driver may leave the package on your doorstep (or other "safe" place), that is routine procedure.

If the driver encounters a human being at the address, they will have you sign for it, but unless it is Delivery Confirmation (which is a few dollars extra) the signature is NOT a requirement for delivery.

It is fine to expect great service, you should, but you should also have realistic expectations as to the delivery of your package.

In our experience, requiring a signature on delivery is actually MORE likely to cause delays and missed deliveries.

Thanks

The Fedex hub is twenty miles from me but I always have them held for pick up at the hub........
    1.0 Pastel Pied, 0.1 Lesser Pied, 1.0 Ivory, 0.1 Jigsaw Fire, 0.1 Citrus Pastel, 0.1 het pied, 0.1 Bling YB, 0.1 Het Red Axanthic, 1.0 YB Het Pied, 0.3 Pastels, 1.0 Enchi, 0.3 Normals

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Robyn@SYR View Post
    Keep in mind that unless you specifically book a package with Delivery Confirmation, no signature is required for delivery. The driver may leave the package on your doorstep (or other "safe" place), that is routine procedure.

If the driver encounters a human being at the address, they will have you sign for it, but unless it is Delivery Confirmation (which is a few dollars extra) the signature is NOT a requirement for delivery.

It is fine to expect great service, you should, but you should also have realistic expectations as to the delivery of your package.

In our experience, requiring a signature on delivery is actually MORE likely to cause delays and missed deliveries.
    Oh, I wasn't expecting a signature. They literally didn't even knock on the door or ring the bell just to let me know that something was there. I was sitting 15 feet from the door the whole time. I don't think setting a package down right side up when it's clearly marked "THIS END UP" and giving the doorbell a push is 'Great Service'. I think it's at best acceptable. Are my expectations too high?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast