Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,283

0 members and 3,283 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Thanks
    Ah, drama. The one constant on internet forums regardless of the topic.

Look, every fire needs fuel. I don't care how hardcore the troll is, if you don't respond they'll get bored and go away eventually. You can call it harassment or whatever you want, but as soon as you reply to their goads it's entirely your fault. An ignore feature is a total cop-out, and usually won't work anyways. If you're unable to keep yourself from taking the bait then all an ignore feature is going to do is give you something to feel bad about when you click that little 'Show Hidden Post' button.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,646 Times in 1,686 Posts

Re: Better Ignore Feature?

Well this escalated fast.
    I never have ignored anyone on here or any forum, or "unfriended" someone on FB. Dont really see the point. If someone is that annoying I would literally ignore them not use the ignore feature.

sent from my Galaxy s3 using tapatalk2

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rob For This Useful Post:

DooLittle (05-08-2013),satomi325 (05-08-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts
    Something I think everyone, including the OP, should remember when on the internet...

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to satomi325 For This Useful Post:

DooLittle (05-08-2013),Mike41793 (05-09-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    I never have ignored anyone on here or any forum, or "unfriended" someone on FB. Dont really see the point. If someone is that annoying I would literally ignore them not use the ignore feature.

sent from my Galaxy s3 using tapatalk2
    Ditto x2
    I agree.
    At first I could see how people could find the 'ignore' feature useful. But, it just seemed so petty and little on the internet....
    Trivial in the grand scheme of things...
    Last edited by satomi325; 05-08-2013 at 11:01 PM.

Thanks

if you ignore a troll you take away their power
    Ball Pythons

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts
    To the OP:

I love how when you tell me that you've got a decade of experience so you're right, it's fine.
    When I tell you I've got more, it's attacking.

When you tell me that MY feelings don't matter because if I had been through a "stalking" like you, I'd think differently, it's grand.
    When I tell you I have been through worse, it's being mean and attacking.

I think your major problem is that you think anyone who disagrees with you is automatically bullying and attacking you. That doesn't fly in the real world. It barely qualifies in kindergarten.

OMG. I'm disagreeing and pointing out hypocrisy. What label shall we slap on that?

Maybe you should think about the fact that the world isn't about you and your opinions. There's nothing wrong with using the ignore function, but to point out that you don't have the WILLPOWER to not look at their post when it's hidden so the forum should change it? Really? And someone you don't like, that has done nothing wrong on the site, should still be punished because you feel like it? Come on.

If someone was REALLY stalking you and bullying you and harassing you, then why hasn't the site admin been involved and banned them? Maybe you think that responding to the same threads = stalking? Or disagreeing = harassing? It doesn't.

And to the one that declares that silly definition of bullying... it's silly. If people can't stand up for themselves in any way, maybe the solution is to teach them to be more self-confident instead of trying to pad the entire universe for just them? And I don't mean special needs kids, who obviously need more sheltering than the regular public. But a normal human being should be capable of responding to a situation where someone pranks them or makes a joke without crying "Bully!" every time.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to wolfy-hound For This Useful Post:

Coleslaw007 (05-09-2013),Dave Green (05-09-2013),DooLittle (05-09-2013),Foschi Exotic Serpents (05-09-2013),I-KandyReptiles (05-08-2013),satomi325 (05-08-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,171 Posts
    Whether you actually do it or not, a well placed statement to an angry troll that you are putting it on ignore can be quite effective in pissing the poor thing off. The timing is crucial though.
    I may not be very smart, but what if I am?
    Stinky says, "Women should be obscene but not heard." Stinky is one smart man.
    www.humanewatch.org

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Here's what I'm seeing here...not just in this thread, but in others as well....

On the one hand...we've got some extra-sensitive people who are quick to see offense in the most casual of conversations. They see "stalking" when really, they're just seeing the same regular members who happen to participate equally in all the threads. They see "bullying" in every eye roll, every sarcastic remark, every challenge to their logic or actions. This kind of super-sensitivity will most certainly grate on some nerves. Many of us despair at the direction our culture seems to be heading, wanting to "cushion" the realities of life so that no gentle soul ever gets offended or gets their feelings hurt. It's frightening to see this weakness rot our society from within and so when we see it being acted out so openly, of course we're going to challenge it and hope in some small way to fix it.

On the other hand...we've got members who are quick to turn..."witchy" (keeping it within the bounds of my own TOS) at the first signs of the weakness mentioned above. Not satisfied to question an action and accept the answer given, they seem to feel some compelling need to pound that hammer over and over and over again. For some, it's gone beyond a lack of sugar coating reality and become a form of personal entertainment to see how far they can drag a thread out with their snarky comments. It's ugly. I've seen sides of people that I didn't expect to see, and I'm sorry for it.

And somehow, it's up to us admins to make these sorts of people get along with each other? How do we make rules against sarcasm??? We get told "It's not up to others to tell someone what they can be offended by..." But neither is it up to US to tell members which assumptions they're allowed to make or which opinions they are allowed to express.

If YOU want the forum to be nicer and live up to its reputation as a friendly place to be...then BE FRIENDLY. Set the example for others to follow. TELLING everyone how wrong they are for expressing their own feelings, thoughts and opinions is NOT the way to set that example. Both sides of this stupid argument are guilty of that. Stop feeding the drama and go out there and help someone get their snake eating, or shedding properly.
    -- Judy

12. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to JLC For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

ballpythonluvr (05-11-2013),BHReptiles (05-09-2013),ChaosAffect (05-09-2013),dr del (05-09-2013),Foschi Exotic Serpents (05-09-2013),Kaorte (05-09-2013),meowmeowkazoo (05-09-2013),rabernet (05-09-2013),REBELLMORPH (05-09-2013),satomi325 (10-09-2013),Spartan452 (05-09-2013)

BPnet Senior Member meowmeowkazoo's Avatar
    Thanks
    I apologize. I didn't intend to start a huge flame war.

I feel persecuted by a specific group of people here, most of whom showed up in this thread. I have discussed this feeling with neutral third parties, who have agreed that I appear to be unreasonably persecuted by these particular people. I have honestly not had this issue on other websites, at least not to the extent that it has happened here. I felt that an ignore feature would help me to better deal with the people that are specifically targeting me here, without causing a lot of drama or fuss.

I apologize that people felt I was being arrogant, or sensitive, or thin-skinned, or condescending, or whatever.

All I intended to do was ask about getting this feature added. I did not intend to offend or insult anyone in the process, nor did I intend to give the impression that I need to be coddled or protected.

I just want to be able to use this website without being harassed or criticized by the same group of people every single time I post. I completely understand people disagreeing with me or having different opinions. I don't understand the personal attacks, sarcasm, and generally unpleasant, passive aggressive attitude toward me by these people. I don't personally dislike any of these people, and I would very much like to get along with them.

I ask that if any of you have a personal issue with me, please PM me and discuss it with me so we can try to work it out. I'm not hard to get along with, and I am more than willing to apologize for any offense I have given that has caused this specific group of people to so intensely dislike me. If you find particular aspects of my personality or posting style to be aggravating, let me know so that I can work on changing that, or so that I can explain why I might seem that way to you.
    [Python regius]
    1.0 Black Butter Pinstripe (Amazeballs), 1.0 Pastel Butter Leopard (Thunderbeeper)
    0.1 Spider (Charlotte), 0.1 Leopard (Spot), 0.1 Pastel (Buttercup), Fire Sugar (Abaddon), Crystal (Opalescence)

[Python brongersmai]
    1.1 T+ Albino (Kushiel & Carmilla)

[Boa imperator]
    1.0 Hypo 100% Het Leopard/66% Het Albino (Darcy)
    0.1 66% Het Leopard/Albino (Gabby)

[Colubrids]
    0.1 Cave-dwelling Rat Snakes (Betty Spaghetti)

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to meowmeowkazoo For This Useful Post:

Kaorte (05-09-2013),Spartan452 (05-09-2013)

Thanks

At the end of the day you need to realize that these are just words on a screen.

Sent from my Gameboy using Tapatalk 2

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast