Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,312

3 members and 3,309 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,171 Posts

Re: Better Ignore Feature?

Quote Originally Posted by meowmeowkazoo View Post

Maybe in the end I am meant to move past this part of my life and find new hobbies that I enjoy. Who knows.
    Only you.
    I may not be very smart, but what if I am?
    Stinky says, "Women should be obscene but not heard." Stinky is one smart man.
    www.humanewatch.org

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries
    For those that wish they didn't see the notice that an "ignored" post has been made...there are also those that are glad they have the option to read it if they choose to. Who's to say which person's wishes take precedence over the others?

I've dug around in the site controls, and have found no simple way to turn that feature on or off. I'm sure it's in there somewhere, but it's not anyplace obvious. Frankly, it's not worth the time and effort it would take to fulfill one person's wish and take away someone else's useful tool.

To set the site up so that someone on your Ignore List can't even see what you write, would take a great deal of customized programming that we would have to pay for. That's not going to happen.

I'm very sorry that there may be a few individuals who can't/won't/don't get along with someone else, to the point that they feel the need to go to such extremes to pretend that person doesn't exist. I wish it were within my power to make all 30,000 of our members get along and be kind to each other. I really do. But let's face it folks....life is life, and it's not always fun and pretty. We do everything humanly possible to keep BP.net user-friendly as well as fair. We can't kick someone off the site just because they don't get along with someone else.

That being said, if ANYone feels they are being harassed in any manner that is against the rules of this site, PLEASE contact us and let us know. We DO care. If you have private messages, save them so you can show us. If there are specific posts made, those can be reported with the click of a button...or send us a link in a private message. We can't and won't take action for merely "not getting along"...but if we believe someone is intentionally maliciously harassing another member, we WILL do something about it.
    -- Judy

3. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to JLC For This Useful Post:

angllady2 (05-08-2013),BHReptiles (05-09-2013),Coleslaw007 (05-08-2013),DooLittle (05-08-2013),I-KandyReptiles (05-08-2013),Royal Hijinx (05-09-2013),satomi325 (05-08-2013),Wes (05-09-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,230 Times in 689 Posts
    Maybe it's being raised differently then. Yea, I do say get over it to people who complain about what other people think or say. I tell my girls to man up, and not worry about who said what, worry about what makes them happy. If that means they're wearing dinosaurs instead of princesses, they have my permission to tell the snotty brats picking on them to kiss their grits.

People being raised to believe that everything should be sugar ccoated with rainbows and butterflies is the cyber bully epidemic. There are jerks in the world and online. There are people who get their jollies by picking fights and making others feel bad. It sucks. Get. Over. It. It's life, and to tell anyone any different isn't going to do any good.

I'm generally a nice person, but the whole "coddling" thing really grinds my gears.

Give them all a trophy, so no one feels bad! Bleh.

/end rant

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to RoseyReps For This Useful Post:

arialmt (05-08-2013),Coleslaw007 (05-08-2013),DooLittle (05-08-2013),I-KandyReptiles (05-08-2013),Inknsteel (05-09-2013),satomi325 (05-08-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kaorte View Post
    Telling someone to just "get over" someone bullying someone else is kinda harsh, don't you think? Saying "oh its just the internet" isn't that easy for everyone. Have you guys even heard of cyber bullying?
    I guess my question would be, is it really bullying or over sensitivity?
    I personally haven't seen anything that merits the title 'bullying'. Yet.
    Don't beat around the bush without fluff posts, yes. Bullying, no.
    But I suppose that's up to the mods to decide. Like I said, report the incident(s).

Quote Originally Posted by RoseyReps View Post
    Maybe it's being raised differently then. Yea, I do say get over it to people who complain about what other people think or say. I tell my girls to man up, and not worry about who said what, worry about what makes them happy. If that means they're wearing dinosaurs instead of princesses, they have my permission to tell the snotty brats picking on them to kiss their grits.

People being raised to believe that everything should be sugar ccoated with rainbows and butterflies is the cyber bully epidemic. There are jerks in the world and online. There are people who get their jollies by picking fights and making others feel bad. It sucks. Get. Over. It. It's life, and to tell anyone any different isn't going to do any good.

I'm generally a nice person, but the whole "coddling" thing really grinds my gears.

Give them all a trophy, so no one feels bad! Bleh.

/end rant
    I'm the same way and agree completely.
    Last edited by satomi325; 05-08-2013 at 08:09 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts
    My point is, this is a family friendly forum. No one here should expect to be talked to in this way. No one should have to have their sensitivity judged and put down by people on the internet. This should be a safe place for everyone and I feel that for some members, it is not. And that isn't fair. Now, since they are not technically breaking any rules, it would nice to just walk away from any confrontation by not seeing the posts. To not be tempted to click on that thread .

I understand needing the whole member approval for a site modification, but if it was just an option to Hide or completely ignore, not really a big deal right?

I understand that this is not something that will happen with a click of a button and *Magic* it just works. That is okay with me, but I feel bad for other members who feel they must abandon this WONDERFUL and AMAZING site just because of a few sour grapes :/

I know it has happened in the past, and I see the cliques on the forum. I try not to take any sides and see everyones opinion objectively. I give everyone the respect they deserve, even those who I see mildly break the TOS. Even people who I don't really get along with. I still give them my help when they ask for it, and try and ignore things when they bother me. I can't ask everyone to have such tough skin.

And NO! Not everyone on here is an ADULT. There are children on here and they DO read your posts. Don't make it seem like this harshness is just part of life on the forum... you don't have to be that way
    ~Steffe

Thanks
    Huh. For a minute I thought this site was publicly available and free to use, how foolish of me.

The only obligation the admins have to us is to enforce the ToS and even then, it's their ToS so they can do as they please.

Is the morale of the user base is certainly in their interest, no users means the bills don't get paid (That and I do believe they genuinely care about us). If there were a large number of users requesting a different ignore system then it would probably be in their best interest to do something about it. You asked and they looked into it for you. It sounds like it would be a fair deal of work and may not even be possible the way you want it.

If you get this touchy over the internet then maybe the internet isn't for you. The admins aren't part of your marriage and I don't see why they should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaorte View Post
    And NO! Not everyone on here is an ADULT. There are children on here and they DO read your posts. Don't make it seem like this harshness is just part of life on the forum... you don't have to be that way
    Harshness is part of life, not everyone is going to get along with everyone else. It would be great if everyone just magically got along but I don't see any value in pretending for the children that that is how the world works. This thread is a great example of that. You should be able to (and can!) speak your mind within the ToS without worrying that someone might find out that the world isn't all rainbows and unicorns.
    Last edited by mackynz; 05-08-2013 at 08:21 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,979 Times in 5,583 Posts

Better Ignore Feature?

Meowmeow and I went at it in other threads before lol. It doesn't mean I'm gunna ignore her on here. What if she posts something that could help me or what if she makes a post where i could help her? We can dislike each other on a personal level but that doesn't mean we can't still help one another when it comes to snakes. Shes not nearly as bad as some of the people who come on here as obvious trolls. I think people hold harsh grudges too much. If you get in an argument in the off topic cafe or something, it shouldn't transfer over into any herp threads. I dislike a lot of people, i still help them if they need it though. After all, were all really here for the same reason. :p
    1.0 normal bp
    mad roaches yo

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mike41793 For This Useful Post:

Coleslaw007 (05-08-2013),DooLittle (05-08-2013),I-KandyReptiles (05-08-2013),Kaorte (05-08-2013)

Thanks

Mike would be ignored by everyone if we could.

Sent from my Droid RAZR M using Tapatalk 2

12. The Following User Says Thank You to toyota89 For This Useful Post:

Spartan452 (05-09-2013)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    In forum like in real life you can’t make people get along, there are many different personalities from people that are very blunt (I am one of them) to people who sugar coat or need to have everything sugarcoated, and of course when personalities like those meet and disagree it can turn ugly.

And again like in real life if someone says something that you do not like or don't agree with you have two choices.

You can either give in and answer back or ignore and move on, this does not require a complex web programming just the ability to make that decision and see if answering back is really all that worth it.
    Deborah Stewart

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

DooLittle (05-08-2013),I-KandyReptiles (05-08-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,357 Times in 4,745 Posts

Wow. Where to start... First of all, yes, this is the internet. There are all kinds of people here, and no, not everyone is going to get along. You couldn't even begin to expect that. I haven't seen any harassment, or stalking. That's what the mods are for, and they do a darn good job. Disagreements, criticism, yeah. Deal with it, its part of life, internet or real life. People are going to disagree. There are people here that most of their posts irritate me. And I hate when people whine, but guess what? As soon as I click out of that thread, poof, its gone. I can't imagine (like Rosey said) letting some nobody on the internet make me that crazy that I had to pretend they didn't exist. I can't imagine using the ignore feature. Really, its not that bad. I'm on the same boat of teaching my daughter to not give a hoot what somebody says, and to be strong and self confident, and have her own opinions. And you know what? Nobody ever drags her down. Why do you care what people you don't know, will never know, think?? Blow it off and move on... I do think all the molly coddling and sheltering, doesn't help anybody. Then when a situation presents itself, they don't know how to handle it. And I'm sorry Steffe, but I don't see "cyber bullies" here, just difference of opinions. And everybody has their own way of expressing theirs. As far as the original concern, I don't think the mods need to change things just to cater to one person.
    If nothing ever changed, there would be no butterflies.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to DooLittle For This Useful Post:

I-KandyReptiles (05-08-2013)

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast