Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,247

1 members and 3,246 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts
    I think all of you guys are fixating on one part of this question: Can I put users on an ignore list, and they not be able to see my posts or threads?

But there is a second part of this that I believe would also be really effective and is not at all unreasonable!: Can I put users on an ignore list, and not expect to see their posts or threads pop up, or see their posts in quoted text?

because right now, I can still see them post. All I have to do is click "Show this post anyway" and it pops right up! This is treating the post as a spoiler. When I see that message, my eye is instantly drawn to it because I don't see it very often. I usually click on it. Sometimes I am disappointed that I did, other times it doesn't really matter. If it was a user voluntarily limiting the posts that they see, I don't see how that affects anyone else negatively. It would only affect the person who CHOOSES to ignore posts from certain users.

That is not unreasonable at all.
    ~Steffe

BPnet Senior Member meowmeowkazoo's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Better Ignore Feature?

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy-hound View Post
    Oh really?? I've been harassed to the point of involving federal authorities. I'm simply astounded at the idea that you've got a WHOLE decade on the internet using forums. Really. Honestly, cause you know, that's a really long time and obviously, the fact that I'm really old and remember when computers were the size of rooms and used punch cards shouldn't come into the argument... but there you go.

The fact is that you have NO right to not be offended. I don't know where the idea started, but it's false. If you don't like that a site includes a person you don't like, then you get to leave that site behind you. Oh? What's that? Do I hear a "You wouldn't say that if it were YOU!" comment? Cause I have, and did. I left a site that I had belonged to for a DECADE and that I was a site admin on! All because of one single harasser that the site owner would not ban, because he never broke the site rules, all his harassment was outside of the public site.

It's a public forum and if you post something on here, it is viewable by everyone who visits. To hide your public posts from someone who has not been banned from viewing the site would be unfair.
    What the hell? Why on earth are you attacking me like this?

I'm sorry you had a negative experience that was SO much worse than mine, but that doesn't invalidate how I feel or justify you jumping down my throat like that.
    [Python regius]
    1.0 Black Butter Pinstripe (Amazeballs), 1.0 Pastel Butter Leopard (Thunderbeeper)
    0.1 Spider (Charlotte), 0.1 Leopard (Spot), 0.1 Pastel (Buttercup), Fire Sugar (Abaddon), Crystal (Opalescence)

[Python brongersmai]
    1.1 T+ Albino (Kushiel & Carmilla)

[Boa imperator]
    1.0 Hypo 100% Het Leopard/66% Het Albino (Darcy)
    0.1 66% Het Leopard/Albino (Gabby)

[Colubrids]
    0.1 Cave-dwelling Rat Snakes (Betty Spaghetti)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,230 Times in 689 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kaorte View Post
    I think all of you guys are fixating on one part of this question: Can I put users on an ignore list, and they not be able to see my posts or threads?

But there is a second part of this that I believe would also be really effective and is not at all unreasonable!: Can I put users on an ignore list, and not expect to see their posts or threads pop up, or see their posts in quoted text?

because right now, I can still see them post. All I have to do is click "Show this post anyway" and it pops right up! This is treating the post as a spoiler. When I see that message, my eye is instantly drawn to it because I don't see it very often. I usually click on it. Sometimes I am disappointed that I did, other times it doesn't really matter. If it was a user voluntarily limiting the posts that they see, I don't see how that affects anyone else negatively. It would only affect the person who CHOOSES to ignore posts from certain users.

That is not unreasonable at all.
    And dr del already addressed this, and gave her the information to have her husband work on a way if she likes. IMO, that concluded that part of her query. Hence the only thing left was letting the ignored see her posts.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,171 Posts
    So then complete conformity to uniformity is the goal?

If you're so bugged by seeing that someone has posted and you are so bugged by that someone seeing that you've posted, that you're this stressed out, I'm not so sure the internet is a place you should be. No throat jumping, just the facts.
    I may not be very smart, but what if I am?
    Stinky says, "Women should be obscene but not heard." Stinky is one smart man.
    www.humanewatch.org

5. The Following User Says Thank You to wilomn For This Useful Post:

DooLittle (05-08-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RoseyReps View Post
    And dr del already addressed this, and gave her the information to have her husband work on a way if she likes. IMO, that concluded that part of her query. Hence the only thing left was letting the ignored see her posts.
    Okay.. I just don't get why everyone needs to dig in rather than brainstorm alternatives. Everyone is being really mean!!

I also agree...what wolfy said was really really harsh and uncalled for.

In the same way that Meowmeow should just try to ignore posts from users who bother her, you guys shouldn't feed the flames by promoting a debate where the goal is to make her take back how she feels and a legitimate concern/question.

Remember that whole think before you post thing? I'd say that you all didn't HAVE to say what you did.. YOU could have just ignored it.

Derek was very helpful and respectful of her concerns. It is not unreasonable to pitch ideas to the admins and mods. It is not the duty of all of the forum members to attack another members opinion of how things should be run.
    ~Steffe

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaorte For This Useful Post:

meowmeowkazoo (05-08-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dr del View Post
    Yes I could try and restrict the "view post" template to staff only - that however still leaves the glaring problem of what happens if you click the "unread posts" button and it happened to be one that was made by someone on your ignore list as your account would not have permission to use it. It also doesn't work on the quote option.

I'm not risking messing up the database and generating repeated avoidable error reports just because a very few members have trouble with self control.

Have your husband work on it and have it tested on vbulletin.org with different versions and get back to us if you like.

dr del
    Unfortunately my husband doesn't support my reptile hobby, and isn't interested in spending time on something like this. It leaves a bitter taste in my mouth that the one site I've ever wanted an ignore feature on doesn't have one, but I guess that's the way it will have to be.

Thank you for taking the time to address my query.
    [Python regius]
    1.0 Black Butter Pinstripe (Amazeballs), 1.0 Pastel Butter Leopard (Thunderbeeper)
    0.1 Spider (Charlotte), 0.1 Leopard (Spot), 0.1 Pastel (Buttercup), Fire Sugar (Abaddon), Crystal (Opalescence)

[Python brongersmai]

[Boa imperator]

[Colubrids]

Thanks
    Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,171 Posts
    Sounds like the husband could use a tune up. Isn't part of being married usually support of each other even when you don't want to?
    I may not be very smart, but what if I am?
    Stinky says, "Women should be obscene but not heard." Stinky is one smart man.
    www.humanewatch.org

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wilomn View Post
    So then complete conformity to uniformity is the goal?

If you're so bugged by seeing that someone has posted and you are so bugged by that someone seeing that you've posted, that you're this stressed out, I'm not so sure the internet is a place you should be. No throat jumping, just the facts.
    There is a lot of tension between users on the forum. You most of all should be aware of this. Is it so much to ask that users be able to choose to walk away from certain disputes in their entirety in order to get a more positive experience from the forum?

Dear everyone:
    Telling someone to just "get over" someone bullying someone else is kinda harsh, don't you think? Saying "oh its just the internet" isn't that easy for everyone. Have you guys even heard of cyber bullying?

If I were being bullied by someone, or being spoken to in the way that many of you are speaking to her, I would most definitely utilize the ability to just ignore that person fully on the forum. Being a public forum, this is the only option to really avoid conflict without affecting any other members. It is hard to turn a blind eye, but a simple computer program can do this and it causes no harm to any other member of the forum.

However, I think its unreasonable to ask that your posts and threads be screened based on people YOU might have on a list. That isn't fair. People might be annoying, but they still deserve to share in your knowledge and contributions, even if it is one sided.
    ~Steffe

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wilomn View Post
    Sounds like the husband could use a tune up. Isn't part of being married usually support of each other even when you don't want to?
    Supportive marriage is generally easier said than done. In the past I have used websites like this one to find the support I need, but even that hasn't been working out so well lately.

Maybe in the end I am meant to move past this part of my life and find new hobbies that I enjoy. Who knows.
    [Python regius]

[Python brongersmai]

[Boa imperator]

[Colubrids]

Thanks
    Thanked 1,230 Times in 689 Posts
    So let me get this straight steffe...if I don't agree with something that someone is suggesting, I should just not say anything? How are the admins to know that everyone doesn't agree or disagree if we don't pipe up?

Being really really mean? Come on. We're all adults, well the majority anyways. If you post a proposed change to a website that would affect everyone (yes, the ignore not being able to see what you post, not the other half) she/you/we should expect some debate.

I thought wolfys remark was direct and a bit hard, but I've come to expect that from her. It's not a bad thing to not sugar coat everything. Especially if she feels strongly about it. I didnt see it as overly harsh, or an attack by any means. Maybe thats just me. *shrug*

As for you sarah, I'm sorry to hear that hubby won't give a hand. That sucks big time.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast