Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,207

0 members and 3,207 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,543
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
    Thanks

Virginia State Law

Hey everyone,

I am looking to relocate to Virginia from Georgia. I will be staying in the Chesapeake/Suffolk areas, but my family lives in the Fredericksburg/Stafford area. I have emailed Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission however have yet to hear back from them. I am wondering what the laws are on the species I own. Also if permits are needed for educational presentations. I currently have:
    8 boa constrictors (Boa constrictor)
    3 ball pythons (Python regius)
    2 corn snakes (Pantherophis guttatus guttatus)
    2 Reticulated Pythons (Python reticulatus)
    2 Carpet Pythons (Morelia spilota)
    1 Western Hognose (Heterodon nasicus)
    1 Macklock Python (Liasis mackloti)
    1 Kanyan Sand Boa (Gongylophis colubrinus)
    1 Angolan Python (Python anchietae)

None of the snakes are currently larger than five feet although obviously with the retics and boas that can change quickly. I will probably only be there for a year and a half. Also if anyone knows of a feeder breeder (mice, rats, rabbits, chicks, and/or quail) please let me know.

Thanks!
    Facebook - Stare Worthy Serpents
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Stare...76771925806600

Instragram - StareWorthySerpent

Thanks

Re: Virginia State Law

Google is your friend. You should be able to find something similar for the city and county where you are moving to. Simply Google, "Chesapeake City Ordinances" or the like and you should be able to find them. Although it may be OK within the state or county, cities have their own codes as well and you'll need to check those too. Make sure you check all 3: State, County, City ordinances.

I don't know Virginia, but a simple Google search came up with this for Fairfax County:

Residents of Fairfax County are welcome to own "companion" animals. There are several laws, codes and home owner restrictions, however, referencing owning and housing of "exotic" animals. Please visit the Fairfax County zoning site for specific information on these restrictions.

What is the definition of "companion" animal?
    Companion animal means any domestic or feral dog, domestic or feral cat, non-human primate, guinea pig, hamster, rabbit not raised for human food or fiber, exotic or native animal, reptile, exotic or native bird, or any feral animal or any animal under the care, custody, or ownership of a person or any animal that is bought, sold, traded, or bartered by any person. Agricultural animals, game species, or any animals regulated under federal law as research animals shall not be considered companion animals for the purpose of this chapter.

What is the definition of an “exotic” animal?
    Wild or exotic animal means any live monkey (non-human primate), raccoon, skunk, wolf, squirrel, fox, leopard, panther, tiger, lion, lynx or any other warm-blooded animal, poisonous snake or tarantula that can normally be found in the wild state or any other member of a crocodilian, including but not limited to alligators, crocodiles, caimans and gavials. Ferrets, non-poisonous snakes, rabbits and laboratory rats that have been bred in captivity and that have never known the wild are excluded from this definition.

Local codes largely prohibit the keeping of wild, exotic or vicious animals in Fairfax County.

Section 41.1-4.1 describes the law and its exceptions:

No person shall keep or permit to be kept any wild, exotic or vicious animal, as those terms are defined (above) for any purposes except: zoological parks, traveling animal exhibitions, circuses or veterinary clinics that are properly licensed by Federal or state governments. The wild or exotic animals of such establishments shall not be exhibited or displayed in such a manner than persons other than their handlers can pet, fondle or otherwise come into direct physical contact with such animals. This prohibition shall not apply to the riding of elephants by persons other than the handlers while under the direct supervision of the handlers while performing in properly licensed parks/exhibitions or circuses.

41.1-4-2 describes the requirement of proper information sharing for those selling exotic animals at the time/place of their sale:
    No person may lawfully keep or permit to be kept in Fairfax county (other than a certified service animal) any live monkey, raccoon, skunk, wolf, squirrel, fox, leopard, panther, tiger, lion, lynx or any other warm-blooded animal, poisonous snake or tarantula, crocodile or alligator, which can normally be found in the wild state or any other member of the crocodilian, including but not limited to alligators, crocodiles, caimans and gavials.

Section 41.1-4-3 Disposition of Animals
    Any person who keeps a wild, exotic or vicious animal in contravention of this article may dispose of the animal by removal of the animal from Fairfax County, by giving or selling the animal to a zoological park or by releasing the animal to the Animal Services Division, which shall release the animal to the wild, to a zoological park, or other entity approved for the care or protection of the particular species
    ** Federally, Lacy Act does not include Reticulated Pythons so you can transport those across state lines and the rest of your collection looks good as well.

Burmese Pythons: 1.0 Albino [George]

Reticulated Pythons: 1.0 White Phase [Zeus]

Ball Pythons:
    0.1 Spider [Isis] | 0.2 Normal [Athena/Pandora]

Carpet Pythons: 0.1 Jungle [Pris]

Colombian BCI: 1.0 Crimson/Pastel [Pablo] | 1.0 Hypo Salmon [Escobar] | 0.1 Pastel [Haven]

Black Rat Snakes: 0.1 Albino [Malachi]

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Willie76 View Post
    Google is your friend. You should be able to find something similar for the city and county where you are moving to. Simply Google, "Chesapeake City Ordinances" or the like and you should be able to find them. Although it may be OK within the state or county, cities have their own codes as well and you'll need to check those too. Make sure you check all 3: State, County, City ordinances.

I don't know Virginia, but a simple Google search came up with this for Fairfax County:

** Federally, Lacy Act does not include Reticulated Pythons so you can transport those across state lines and the rest of your collection looks good as well.
    Thank you I have been using Google to find information, however laws about reptiles tend to be very vague. Considering I have larger constrictors that are more often than not having some sort of bill trying to pass on them I wanted to make sure I was utilizing all my source to understand exactly what the laws were. I would prefer to move once and not have to relocate my animals, and right now I have some flexibility as far as the county and city are concerned.

This is the email I received from Virginia Game and Inland Fisheries:

"The state of Virginia does not have any laws regarding venomous snakes. However, many of the localities do. Once you find out where you plan to live you should contact that locality to see what local ordinances they may have. I am attaching a link from our website that contains a new law the USFWS issued on March 23, 2012 regarding dangerous pythons and anaconda species - http://www.dgif.virginia/gov/wildlif...kes/injurious/ in case you haven’t seen it. None of the species you listed are mentioned.

We also have an Exhibitor’s permit that is required if you plan to use your animals in educational programs. The link to the permits application is - http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/forms/PERM/PERM-026.pdf.

Dianne Waller

Permit Section"

Thanks

You should be fine with what your have. As far as I know you are not allowed endangered or venomous.
    1.0 Albino Ball
    0.2 Het Albino Ball
    1.0 Pied Ball
    1.0 Lesser Pastel Ball
    0.1 Bumblebee Ball

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jons2012pied For This Useful Post:

M&H (05-08-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jons2012pied View Post
    You should be fine with what your have. As far as I know you are not allowed endangered or venomous.
    Thank you I appreciate it.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I believe if you have more than 5 corn snakes, or breed them, or sell them, you have to have a permit. With 2, you should be fine. I'm not aware of any regulations affecting the other species you listed.
    Casey

8. The Following User Says Thank You to kc261 For This Useful Post:

M&H (05-09-2013)

Thanks
    In va you should be fine with what you listed just double check local/city/town regs as the dc metro area counties/cities of Va are fairly more regulated than the rural areas of Va....also double check the snake species native to Va as I know Va has some native wildlife laws seeking to further protect them.
    1.1 Pinstripe - Orion/Eos
    1.1 Lessers - Typhon/Kali
    0.2 Dinkers - Stella & Wildfire
    1.0 Desert - No Name
    1.0 Het Red Axanthic - No name
    0.1 Woma- Cayenne
    0.1 Cinnamon- Nutmeg
    2.1 Mojave- No names
    1.0 Mystic- No Name
    0.1 Mahagony- No Name
    1.0 Black Pastel- No Name
    1.0 SD Tiger Retic- Thor
    0.0.1 Green Tree Python (Apollo)
    0.2 Labs- Daisy & Ruby

10. The Following User Says Thank You to OsirisRa32 For This Useful Post:

M&H (05-09-2013)

Thanks

Virginia State Law

Thank you both for that information. I was also directed to this site with different county information in case anyone else is looking for the information.

http://www.virginiaherpetologicalsoc...plaw/index.htm

It's great to know I shouldn't have any issues with my larger constrictors. Thankful that I am able to relocate to an area that is not as restrictive with the exotic laws.