Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,374

4 members and 3,370 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

horned frog tank preferences

I got another horned frog today. I had one for years, but it died awhile back after developing some kind of tumor or growth on its side.

What kind of tank do you set up for yours? I have a nice planted terrarium that I made, but I am keeping the frog in a smaller (5 gallon) tank with a nice depth of eco-earth for now. It has a shallow (no more than a centimeter for a 2.5-inch frog; sunk into substrate for easier entry-exit; one of those pet-store ones that are shaped like rock and very shallow) water bowl and no other furnishings. The frog has buried into the substrate as they normally do, and seems happy in a simpler environment. I thought of housing her in the planted tank, but it just seems too elaborate and large. Your thoughts? Feeding will be easier in this simplistic tank, too. This frog is used to taking crickets off of a pair of tongs, and I watched it eat at the store (Markheim Pets; a really top-notch place outside of Buffalo, I might add) before purchase.
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.

Registered User 24Homiesandazebra's Avatar
    Thanks
    Does your planted tank have other animals in it? If the answer is yes, it's best to keep it out of there. Some people have elaborate looking setups but these guys don't really get up to much, and seem to enjoy their simplistic enclosures so long as there are sufficient hiding spots

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 24Homiesandazebra For This Useful Post:

Ginevive (05-07-2013)

Thanks
    There are no animals living in the terrarium, but there are a few house spiders that took up residence in it on their own accord. But I am not sure about the plants; there's a croton plant in it, and I know that they can be harmful if cats ingest them. I will keep the frog in the smaller tank for now.
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.