Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,224

1 members and 3,223 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Question Couple questions about my first colony.

Hey everyone, I bought 3 female feeder mice and 1 male from Petco yesterday. I'm curious if I'm witnessing normal mating behavior or not. Several times now I've seen the male chase a female around the cage and she just squeaks and tries to avoid him, only allowing him to mount her for like a second. Just now I did see the male chase a smaller female around and they ended up in the hide box, rustling and squeaking in there for a good moment so maybe they mated? Should my females be more receptive to the male or maybe they're not in heat/still need to get used to him? Also I don't see any blood or wounds on them so I don't think any serious fighting has taken place.

Here's some pictures of a couple of my mice and their home (I made a side window too). First picture is of my male. Do they look healthy and of breeding age to you guys? Thanks for reading, I would greatly appreciate any feedback.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    They look big enough to be breeding, and that is normal mating behaviour you're witnessing. The male will only mount for a second, but they'll do that dozens of times when the female is receptive. Since you've actually seen it, expect babies in about 3 weeks! Do still keep an eye out for wounds though.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. ~ Herm Albright

The current zoo:
    Pets
    2.1 Felis catus; 1.2 Ringneck Doves; 1.1 Budgies; bunches o' Rats/Mice (pets and feeders);
    2.1 BCI; 1.0 BP; 1.0 Corn; 1.0 Honduran Milksnake; 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa; 0.1 Dumeril's Boa; 1.0 Texas Ratsnake; 1.0 Calico Black Ratsnake; 1.1 Western Hognose; 0.1 Beardie; 0.1 Tawny Plated Lizard; 1.0 Blue-Tongue Skink; 0.1 Crestie; 0.1 Spiny-tailed Iguana; 0.0.1 Chaco Striped Knee Tarantula
    Fosters/Rescues
    2.0 BCI
    0.2.2 BP
    1.0 Corn
    1.0 Red-Foot Tortoise
    1.0 Greek Tortoise
    0.0.10 Leopard Tortoises
    0.0.1 Asian Vine Snake

Thanks

Re: Couple questions about my first colony.

Quote Originally Posted by Sita View Post
    They look big enough to be breeding, and that is normal mating behaviour you're witnessing. The male will only mount for a second, but they'll do that dozens of times when the female is receptive. Since you've actually seen it, expect babies in about 3 weeks! Do still keep an eye out for wounds though.
    Awesome, thank you! I'm very excited, this is turning out to be a fun little project. If/when I have a successful litter or two, I plan on getting another colony started.

Unfortunately I have to move the mice outside to my garage as the smell is irritating to my family, even though the cage is clean and there's good ventilation.

I am curious if the mice will survive and breed out there come summer time.

I live in inland Southern California at a moderate elevation and the highs average about 95 degrees F during the summer. It's not a humid heat though and it cools off at night to the 50's and low 60's with a nice westerly (ocean) breeze in the evening.

If I keep them in the garage out of direct sunlight and keep the main garage door open along with the side door, in addition to keeping a fan on them and adding ice to their water bottles, will they survive and breed through the summer?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    It's really iffy. Mice and rats do best at temps around where we are comfy, so 65-70 is ideal. I don't have personal experience with this, but I've heard it several times that above 75 breeding is comprised (smaller, less frequent litters), at 80 breeding stops, and anything much higher is risking death.

Is there anywhere else possible to house them where the family won't be near often, basement or closet perhaps?

Also, I didn't noticed this at first in the pictures, but it looks as through you used 1/2 inch hardware cloth. If that's the size you used, you'll need to change it to 1/4 inch. Young mice can easily fit through 1/2 inch. You might to also add several more places where it attaches to the tub, as they can be stronger than they look and might squeeze through a spot that isn't attached well, even on the top. They can jump quite high!
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. ~ Herm Albright

The current zoo:
    Pets
    2.1 Felis catus; 1.2 Ringneck Doves; 1.1 Budgies; bunches o' Rats/Mice (pets and feeders);
    2.1 BCI; 1.0 BP; 1.0 Corn; 1.0 Honduran Milksnake; 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa; 0.1 Dumeril's Boa; 1.0 Texas Ratsnake; 1.0 Calico Black Ratsnake; 1.1 Western Hognose; 0.1 Beardie; 0.1 Tawny Plated Lizard; 1.0 Blue-Tongue Skink; 0.1 Crestie; 0.1 Spiny-tailed Iguana; 0.0.1 Chaco Striped Knee Tarantula
    Fosters/Rescues
    2.0 BCI
    0.2.2 BP
    1.0 Corn
    1.0 Red-Foot Tortoise
    1.0 Greek Tortoise
    0.0.10 Leopard Tortoises
    0.0.1 Asian Vine Snake

Thanks

I live in New England and had my colony in a shed outside exposed to temps anywhere from 30-100 F and never had an issue. Only had them from spring to fall though.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks

It's really iffy. Mice and rats do best at temps around where we are comfy, so 65-70 is ideal. I don't have personal experience with this, but I've heard it several times that above 75 breeding is comprised (smaller, less frequent litters), at 80 breeding stops, and anything much higher is risking death.

Is there anywhere else possible to house them where the family won't be near often, basement or closet perhaps?

Also, I didn't noticed this at first in the pictures, but it looks as through you used 1/2 inch hardware cloth. If that's the size you used, you'll need to change it to 1/4 inch. Young mice can easily fit through 1/2 inch. You might to also add several more places where it attaches to the tub, as they can be stronger than they look and might squeeze through a spot that isn't attached well, even on the top. They can jump quite high!
    It looks like I will definitely have to keep them inside then. I'll keep them in the closet in the spare bedroom. Should contain the smell decently I hope.

Also do you have any experience with using vanilla extract in the water to keep the odor down? If so, is it effective and is the small amount of alcohol and sugars safe for the mice?

And yes I am using 1/2 inch hardware cloth, I did think it was a little big when putting the cages together but it was all I had around the house lol. I will get it replaced with 1/4 inch asap.

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

@Malaika, thanks for the input. I think maybe I will experiment with a small colony and see how they fare and only bring them in on the hottest days (when it can be slightly over 100)
    Last edited by andrew68; 05-07-2013 at 11:16 PM.

BPnet Senior Member I-KandyReptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,321 Times in 1,479 Posts

Couple questions about my first colony.

Mice stink, and I've heard little will help. That's why I got rid of mine and are sticking to ASFs.

I would think they'd be fine outside if you have a fan on them and ice in their bottles.

Definitely get 1/4th " hardware cloth. They can squeeze through and get stuck in 1/2".

---------
    0.1 Dog (Truffles)
    0.1 Naked Cat (Mercedes)
    1.0 Hamster (Pumpkin)
    1.1 Bumblebees (Satyana & Weedle)
    0.3 Normals (Shayla, Rita and Althea)
    0.1 100% Het Pied Ringer (Avalon)
    1.0 Pied (Monsieur Piederoff)
    1.0 Lesser 100% Het Albino poss het OG (Tinersons)
    0.1 Spider Albino (Ivy)
    0.1 Mojave Cinnamon (Morticia)
    1.1 Normal BCIs (Damon and Conga)
    0.1 Crested Gecko (Natasha)
    0.0.1 Rosehair Tarantula (Charlotte)
    0.0.1 P.Metallica
    0.0.1 A.Avicularia
    0.0.2 P.Irminia
    0.0.1 L.Parahybona
    0.0.1 N.Coloratovillosus
    ?.?.? ASFs

Thanks

I have to disagree with this on rats. I keep mine in my reptile room which is 80-83 at all times and they breed like crazy with at least 12+ in each litter.....have never had an issue with temps that high. They are all healthy and happy as can be as well, but this COULD be true for mice not sure on that!

Ball Pythons
    0.2 Normals (Coilette and Mary Jane)
    1.0 Spider Morph (Zeus)
    1.0 Pastel (De Sol)

Boas
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa (Stella)
    0.1 Hog Island BCI (Kiyoko)
    0.1 Dumerils Boa (Gloria)
    0.1 Yellow Anaconda (Serenity)
    Ball Python
    0.2 Normals (Coilette and Mary Jane)
    1.0 Spider (Zues)
    1.0 Pastel (De Sol)

Boa Constrictors
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa (Stella)
    0.1 BCI Hog Island (Kiyoko)
    0.1 Dumerils Boa (Gloria)
    1.1 Yellow Anaconda (Serenity and Diablo)
    0.1 Albino Common Northern Boa BCI (Pandora)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 831 Posts
    Ever heard someone call a guy a 'minute man'? Rodents are 'second men'.
    Dreamtime Exotics -- Check it out!
    Ball Pythons, Monitors, Saltwater Reef, Fancy Rats, Ferrets

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I kept a colony of mice in a place that had zero air conditioning and I can attest to the fact that they breed just fine in 90+ weather. The only thing you need to watch for is to provide them with enough water. They'll drink a lot more in the heat.

As for keeping the smell down, I never had much success. I have seen it suggested online to keep a layer of puppy training pads beneath the bedding. Here's the link to the post where I found this suggestion.

http://www.ssnakess.com/forums/food-...g-fresh-2.html

I googled this; 'breeding mice for reptiles keep smell down' You can try whatever variation you want. I found a little good advice, but mostly its just something you have to live with if you want to breed your own feeders.

You might want to try an air purifier like an ionic breeze. It should be something that runs fairly quiet so it doesn't disturb the mice, and remember that they can hear into higher ranges than humans. In fact most of mice communication is done in the ultrasonic range.

And yeah, that's perfectly normal mating behavior. All the squeaking is basically the female deciding if she likes the male or not. I had one male mouse that was much younger than my females, and they actually chased him into a corner and wouldn't let him breed until he got bigger. I would strongly suggest buying a book on care for mice as pets, as they usually describe typical mouse behavior. There are some warning signs to look for. The only one I can remember off the top of my head is that if any one of the mice is huddling on its hind legs with its front paws up and shaking, its being severely harassed by the other mice. This is an 'I surrender, please don't hurt me' pose.

I would also suggest removing the male after two weeks, so the females aren't constantly pregnant. This can cause a lot of stress for them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast