Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,311

2 members and 3,309 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg

Thread: Iguanas died!

Thanks
    OMG!

I had two Iguanas for only 2 weeks and BOTH passed yesterday?

When I called the petstore....the guy said the one that was left died 3 days ago.......what could it be.....I'm so mad. THey can't even give me another Iggy......I dont know if I want theirs anymore though.

Should I have a test done on it to make sure my currents are ok?
    Don Meyer

0.1.2 Savanna Monitors
    0.0.1 Dwarf Caimens
    0.0.1 Bullfrogs
    0.1.0 Ball Pythons
    0.0.1 Leopard Gecko
    0.0.1 American Toad
    0.0.1 Wolf Spider

Visit my forums @ http://varanids.rwh.excellhosting.net/forum

Thanks
    In all possibility, it could be a number of problems. I would definately think about parasites. If you decide on getting another one, take it to a vet and get a fecal test done. It isn't very expensive and is done in about 15 minutes. I do them ALL the time. I would get a test done on all of your guys/ girls to make sure everyone is ok. The poo should be fresh, no more than 24 hours old (they might want an extra fresh sample so they can test for Giardia, a protozoa found in dirty conditions, not necessarily yours, but previous owners. They need a fresh sample so they can do a direct smear and see the little protozoa moving around.) Take individual baggies labeled with date, name of animal and your name, and put a sample from each animal in each baggy. If you can't get it to the vet in a few hours, stick it in the fridge until you can take it. Another protozoa is Cryptosporidium, which can spread through your ENTIRE collection like wild-fire. Even people can get it. Not fun. If they end up having that, there isn't much of a cure except supportive care, and 95% of the time they DO NOT make it. I did a fecal on my rat when I bought her (she's a pet, not food) and I thought she had Crypto, but it ended up being Coccidia. That stuff takes 4+ weeks to get rid of. Well, hope this helps, and get all of them to a vet ASAP so nobody else succumbs to what the Iguanas had. Good luck. If you have any other questions regarding the medical aspect of this stuff, just ask.
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks
    Those poor iguanas =(

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm very sorry to hear that, Don! Sounds like there was definitely something wrong with them from the store. It could be an isolated case of the store getting a bad batch of iggies from their supplier, but you should consider that every reptile in their store could be infected now. As could your own reptiles. I'll second what Becky said...get the rest of your guys to the vet ASAP. If you haven't disposed of them, maybe you could get a necropsy done on one of the lizards to find out what killed it and if the rest of your collection is at risk.
    -- Judy

Thanks
    Shoot both Igs are buried and I can't get any samples of the feces

I will definately get some fecals done!

My vet is literally a 5 minute walk from me.

Thanks guys I hope the rest are ok.

I don't plan on getting another Iguana or any reptile from their store again really. The only reason I got their Igs is because they have like 4 in a 15........not cool.

They charge amazing prices too........50 for a normal Leo.

I think I'll stick to what I have now and save up for one of my favorite Varanids.
    Don Meyer

0.1.2 Savanna Monitors
    0.0.1 Dwarf Caimens
    0.0.1 Bullfrogs
    0.1.0 Ball Pythons
    0.0.1 Leopard Gecko
    0.0.1 American Toad
    0.0.1 Wolf Spider

Visit my forums @ http://varanids.rwh.excellhosting.net/forum