Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,957

1 members and 1,956 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,129
Threads: 248,573
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, KILLER112397
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

what do you make of this?

My guy is over 300 grams so I bought 2 medium size hides from reptile basics. I put them in a few weeks ago and he has used the hot hide but never the cool side one because ever since I first got him, around 100 grams, he always preferred this piece of cork which is on the cool side. I'm starting to think that he's never going to stop using it. lol

when I first got him (mind you I do have 2 small reptile basic hides in their aswell, one of the hot side one of the cool plus this cork. The cork is on the cool side)

and this is today (does he even know he's exposed?)

I was thinking maybe I should put the cork inside the cool side hide
    1.0 Pastel Lesser

Thanks
    He'll use what he wants to, heh. My boy goes through phases of playing favorites-- for awhile he only liked his half-log, and now he tends to stick under his sandstone hide. When he was smaller he used to just go behind a particular display rock with half of him sticking out on either side. As long as he feels secure, I don't care what he uses as a hide, lol.
    1.1 Ball Pythons
    a) Calliope 0.1, Banana Ball, 2018/19 season, 600g
    b) Geralt 1.0 Chocolate Sable Mojave pos. Trick ball, May 27th 2020

3.2 Cats (Fury, Leviathan, Walter, Chell, Amelie); 2.0 Dogs (Bjorn, Anubis); 2.1 Ferrets (Bran, Tormund, Arya); 0.1 Beardie (Nefertiti); 0.1 Slider Turtle (Species uncertain) (Papaya); 2.0 Hermit Crabs (Tamatoa, Sushi); 0.1 Conure (Mauii); Two Axolotyls (Quetzl and Unnamed); Two Tree Frogs (Pluto and Colossus); One Anole (Zeus); One Crestie (Noferatu); 3.0 Guinea Pigs (Paco, Poncho and Piccolo); 0.1 Pink Toe T (Azula)

Fish:
    1.1 Oscar Cichlids (Rocky 1.0, hx2020, Red Fire, and Bubble 0.1, hx2019, Tiger), 1.1 Convict Cichlids (Hurley and Sloane), 0.1 Strawberry Peacock Cichlid (Comet), Two Plecos, Rubby the Rubbernose Pleco and Trinidad the common Pleco, 2.0 Upside Down Catfish (Poseidon, Neptune), One Red Parrot Cichlid (Firefly), 1.0 Betta Fish (Jenkins),
    2.2 Cherry Barbs ("The Worst"), 1.0 Electric Blue Acara (Goldeneye)

Thanks
    Maybe you should take it out if he likes it the best . If you have identical hides, he will choose which one he actually needs to thermo-regulate, as opposed to which one he feels "safest" in haha
    1.0 Pied 0.1 Pied het Albino
    1.0 Albino het Pied 0.1 Hog Island Boa
    0.1 het Albino, 50% het Pied 0.1 Black lab

Thanks

Re: what do you make of this?

I would take it out simply because if he's always on the cool side, he may not be digesting like he should be because he feels safer in the hides that he knows. Take it out and it will force him to use the new hides and thermoregulate properly.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BHReptiles View Post
    I would take it out simply because if he's always on the cool side, he may not be digesting like he should be because he feels safer in the hides that he knows. Take it out and it will force him to use the new hides and thermoregulate properly.

Should I put the new cool side hide in place of the old one? I was thinking maybe he hasn't figured out the entrance of the new hide because it is down on the other end of the enclosure.
    1.0 Pastel Lesser

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gpoop View Post
    Should I put the new cool side hide in place of the old one? I was thinking maybe he hasn't figured out the entrance of the new hide because it is down on the other end of the enclosure.
    I would just use the two RBI hides. You can always pick him up and then when you go to put him back in the cage, stick his head near the entrance and he should go right in. Usually they don't have an issue finding hides.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BHReptiles View Post
    I would just use the two RBI hides. You can always pick him up and then when you go to put him back in the cage, stick his head near the entrance and he should go right in. Usually they don't have an issue finding hides.
    x2

Two identical hides, one at each end works great. Otherwise they sometimes sacrifice the heat they need in order to have security.

Thanks
    I took it out and He seems so confused. He keeps going in and out of the cool side and hot side.
    1.0 Pastel Lesser

Thanks
    He's officially stressed out. He is all over the place
    1.0 Pastel Lesser

Thanks
    Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,206 Posts
    I don't really understand why people insist we know what they need better than our snakes. What harm is there in leaving his safety blanket (hide) in the tank? He won't be in temperature danger as long as the ambient temps are sufficient. Who's to say he isn't cruising over to the hot side at 3am when no one is looking, and then back under the cork during the day? Perhaps he would like an 88deg hot spot better than a 92deg one, and that's why he stays on the cool side.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Annarose15 For This Useful Post:

4theSNAKElady (05-07-2013)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast