Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,180

1 members and 3,179 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Euthanizing Geckos

I've got a gecko that is very very sick. He's about 8 years old, refusing food and water, and will spit up any medicine or food that I try to force feed him. I called around and discovered that to euthanize a gecko it costs 40 dollars to 80 dollars! I can't spend that much money, I've been trying to get my snake Shilo parasite free and that's costed me over 200 as is.

He won't stay on his heating pad and every time I pick him up he's freezing. It's almost like he's trying to die. I'm so upset I can't stop crying, I don't want him to die but what do I do? I don't want him to starve himself to death, he's so thin and I can't do anything about it!
    The doctor we used to take him too said he couldn't do anything but euthanize him for 50$.He's had eye infections almost all his life and is blind, he gets large cysts on his head and neck and has had surgery about 3 times in his life.

Just today I tried to force feed him some mealworms and I cut them up into mash and tried to syringe-feed them down his throat, then I chased it down with some water. He ended up spitting it up all over me.

Again his vet said the only thing we could do is euthanize him, but I can't pay 50$ to kill my baby...
    Is there a way that he can die gently without hurting him? Or should I just let nature take its course?
    Owner of two super loved and adorable Ball Python brothers
    Normal - Salem The Spoiled
    Pastel - Shilo The Spazzy

Thanks
    Sweetie, I think your best bet would be to pay for veterinary euthanization. All of the ways that I can think of of home euth for reptiles are either too slow or painful to be effective, and the only quick painless way of I can thinkis also the most violent on the part of the handler. Not for the weak of heart or stomach. I'd research your vet's methods of euthanization before confirming though. You love him so much, he deserves the best possible way to go.
    Let us know what you decide.
    1.1 Ball Pythons
    a) Calliope 0.1, Banana Ball, 2018/19 season, 600g
    b) Geralt 1.0 Chocolate Sable Mojave pos. Trick ball, May 27th 2020

3.2 Cats (Fury, Leviathan, Walter, Chell, Amelie); 2.0 Dogs (Bjorn, Anubis); 2.1 Ferrets (Bran, Tormund, Arya); 0.1 Beardie (Nefertiti); 0.1 Slider Turtle (Species uncertain) (Papaya); 2.0 Hermit Crabs (Tamatoa, Sushi); 0.1 Conure (Mauii); Two Axolotyls (Quetzl and Unnamed); Two Tree Frogs (Pluto and Colossus); One Anole (Zeus); One Crestie (Noferatu); 3.0 Guinea Pigs (Paco, Poncho and Piccolo); 0.1 Pink Toe T (Azula)

Fish:
    1.1 Oscar Cichlids (Rocky 1.0, hx2020, Red Fire, and Bubble 0.1, hx2019, Tiger), 1.1 Convict Cichlids (Hurley and Sloane), 0.1 Strawberry Peacock Cichlid (Comet), Two Plecos, Rubby the Rubbernose Pleco and Trinidad the common Pleco, 2.0 Upside Down Catfish (Poseidon, Neptune), One Red Parrot Cichlid (Firefly), 1.0 Betta Fish (Jenkins),
    2.2 Cherry Barbs ("The Worst"), 1.0 Electric Blue Acara (Goldeneye)

Ohio but looking to relocate grrrr new laws!
    Thanks

Re: Euthanizing Geckos

Quote Originally Posted by Archimedes View Post
    Sweetie, I think your best bet would be to pay for veterinary euthanization. All of the ways that I can think of of home euth for reptiles are either too slow or painful to be effective, and the only quick painless way of I can thinkis also the most violent on the part of the handler. Not for the weak of heart or stomach. I'd research your vet's methods of euthanization before confirming though. You love him so much, he deserves the best possible way to go.
    Let us know what you decide.
    I agree with this^ the only other thing I know of would be to ask a close friend to refridgerate him for 2 hours and then into the freezer. I don't like this method but its the least violent method I can think of. I am truly sorry for your heart ache. But paying the vet would probably be the best for him and you.
    Come see what's new with us at https://www.facebook.com/BFEPetsandSupply

Happy Herping!!!!

Thanks
    Refridgerating animals is not a humane way of euthanasia at all. Its incredibly painful and slow for the animal.
    5.5.13 C. Ciliatus - Specialize in Super Dals
    0.0.1 V. Exanthematicus (Skorge)
    4.4 U. Lineatus
    1.2 N. Amyae
    1.2.2 N. levis levis
    1.0 U. Pietschmanni (Pietsch)
    5.2.2 U. Fimbriatus

Lots of BPs focusing on Clown stuff in 2014.

1.0 P. Reticulatus 50% Dwarf Purple Albino het Gen Stripe

Chris from The Lizard Horde
    www.thelizardhorde.com
    Our Iherp Reptile Collection
    https://www.facebook.com/TheLizardHorde

Thanks
    Thanked 7,979 Times in 5,583 Posts

Euthanizing Geckos

Do not refrigerate or freeze them. Thats not humane. If you really don't want to pay for the vet euth then decapitation followed by pithing would be a humane home euth.

This is going off of what i've read about bps. I could be wrong, but i think it would be the same.
    1.0 normal bp
    mad roaches yo

Thanks
    Yes, never ever use cold as a euthanasia tactic for reptiles (or any anomal, really, but it is particularly cruel for animal who use outside temperature to thermoregulate).They can feel their bodies freeze and their cells self-destruct, even if they appear peaceful. It's the equivalent of burning a human to death, but much muck slower.

Pithing was the violent method I mentioned in my first response. It's not a pretty sight, but it is virtually painless for the animal when done correctly and is quick. Like I said though, not a procedure for the weak of heart or stomach to witness.
    Last edited by Archimedes; 05-05-2013 at 09:56 PM.
    1.1 Ball Pythons
    a) Calliope 0.1, Banana Ball, 2018/19 season, 600g
    b) Geralt 1.0 Chocolate Sable Mojave pos. Trick ball, May 27th 2020

3.2 Cats (Fury, Leviathan, Walter, Chell, Amelie); 2.0 Dogs (Bjorn, Anubis); 2.1 Ferrets (Bran, Tormund, Arya); 0.1 Beardie (Nefertiti); 0.1 Slider Turtle (Species uncertain) (Papaya); 2.0 Hermit Crabs (Tamatoa, Sushi); 0.1 Conure (Mauii); Two Axolotyls (Quetzl and Unnamed); Two Tree Frogs (Pluto and Colossus); One Anole (Zeus); One Crestie (Noferatu); 3.0 Guinea Pigs (Paco, Poncho and Piccolo); 0.1 Pink Toe T (Azula)

Fish:
    1.1 Oscar Cichlids (Rocky 1.0, hx2020, Red Fire, and Bubble 0.1, hx2019, Tiger), 1.1 Convict Cichlids (Hurley and Sloane), 0.1 Strawberry Peacock Cichlid (Comet), Two Plecos, Rubby the Rubbernose Pleco and Trinidad the common Pleco, 2.0 Upside Down Catfish (Poseidon, Neptune), One Red Parrot Cichlid (Firefly), 1.0 Betta Fish (Jenkins),
    2.2 Cherry Barbs ("The Worst"), 1.0 Electric Blue Acara (Goldeneye)

Reptile Dysfunction
    Thanks

Hate to say it but, smash his head with a spoon.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,357 Times in 4,745 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EricWright View Post
    Hate to say it but, smash his head with a spoon.
    Hey, look who's back.
    If nothing ever changed, there would be no butterflies.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts

If you have the stomach, smash his head with a hammer. The only humane at home euthanasia method is instantaneous brain destruction. Otherwise, take him to the vet....

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to satomi325 For This Useful Post:

EricWright (05-06-2013),mackynz (05-06-2013),Rhasputin (05-06-2013)

Thanks
    Guys, I'm not trying to call the OP 'soft' or mentally weak but if the thought of an animal dying results in uncontrollable crying then they PROBABLY won't be capable of pithing the animal in question. Just my $.02

OP, it may be best to bite the bullet and pay for the 'professional' euthanization (do yourself a favor and don't ask the vet what his/her methods are).

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast