Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,158

3 members and 3,155 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts

Re: Euthanizing Geckos

Quote Originally Posted by SaintTawny View Post
    The market name for at least one of the veterinary solutions used is Beauthanasia-D. It's a bright pink liquid. It stops the heart and brain activity within seconds. Sadly we use it an average of three times a week on elderly or seriously ill patients. I can tell you its the most peaceful death I could ever imagine. Even when we do heart sticks on cats, they rarely fuss. Many times if we have concerns about the patient getting fidgety we'll give a dose of surgical anesthetic and let that take effect first. I doubt many vets approach it differently, even for reptiles. My preference if I had a very sick animal that for whatever reason I could not treat would definitely be euthanasia by injection. It never gets easier to see but it's the one of the most humane deaths.

Snakes go much, much slower and often fight it. I agree, euthanization in small mammals, dog, cats and lizards is almost instantaneous.

Unfortunately in snakes, it is not.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Skiploder View Post
    Snakes go much, much slower and often fight it. I agree, euthanization in small mammals, dog, cats and lizards is almost instantaneous.

Unfortunately in snakes, it is not.
    While I do think that pithing or other rapid brain destruction may be ideal for reptiles, chemical euthanasia is sometimes more appropriate, especially in the case of a beloved pet. In the case of a properly administered injection of the appropriate chemical(s), the difference is minimized to the prick of a needle. You're not mistaken though, the chemicals commonly used for mammals are not appropriate for snakes because of the time to action. Also, regardless of drug used, the ideal situation for snakes seems to be the use of a surgical anesthetic prior to euthanasia.

I found this study, for reference on chemical euthanasia of reptiles.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2694699/

Edit: To clarify, Beuthanasia-D is pentobarbital sodium, which is the type of injection it sounds like you're familiar with, used commonly for mammals (what I work with), and is the drug they discuss in the beginning of that study as something they were looking for an alternative to for use in reptiles. Tricaine methanesulfonate is shown to be different.
    Last edited by SaintTawny; 05-07-2013 at 10:10 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SaintTawny View Post
    While I do think that pithing or other rapid brain destruction may be ideal for reptiles, chemical euthanasia is sometimes more appropriate, especially in the case of a beloved pet. In the case of a properly administered injection of the appropriate chemical(s), the difference is minimized to the prick of a needle. You're not mistaken though, the chemicals commonly used for mammals are not appropriate for snakes because of the time to action. Also, regardless of drug used, the ideal situation for snakes seems to be the use of a surgical anesthetic prior to euthanasia.

I found this study, for reference on chemical euthanasia of reptiles.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2694699/

Edit: To clarify, Beuthanasia-D is pentobarbital sodium, which is the type of injection it sounds like you're familiar with, used commonly for mammals (what I work with), and is the drug they discuss in the beginning of that study as something they were looking for an alternative to for use in reptiles. Tricaine methanesulfonate is shown to be different.
    I've got a vet who will gladly forego the $80 to euthanize a snake in her office if the owner knows how to do it quicker. I've seen TMS take upwards of an hour to kill a large boa - with the snake writhing, stressed and scared for a goodly part of that time. I've also seen varanids put down much quicker. Again, snakes are a whole different story.

MS222 still results in prolonged death in snakes. A study on a 300 gram garter snake - which has a fairly low body weight and a fast metabolism - still shows up to 12 minutes to kill.

Ask any vet who has to regularly euthanize large snakes as part of their practice and they will tell you that using MS222 is so prolonged and the reactions of most snakes are so drawn out, that it is a traumatic and distressing experience for most owners.

I've been dealing with a rescued bull snake with several health issues that I had to euthanize on Sunday. Snake weighs about 1600 grams. Put her into brumation and pithed her on Sunday night. Took all of about 30 seconds from the removal of the fridge to death.

Thanks
    Sorry to not have gotten back to you. Right now Sam is still holding on but refusing to eat. I've called the vet and he won't lower his price, and right now my budget is at 120$ with dependency from parents paying the cost of food. That is all the money I have for vets is 120$. I have a snake that I'm sure has a parasite and I'm patiently waiting for a fecal sample from him, a fecal sample is 35$ and to actually take him in for an exam is 55$, so that's 90$ and the cost of medicine will be around 20$ to 50$. As much as I love Sammy, I really can't have him injected, I'm out of money and I can't ask for a loan from my parents. I'm going to call around more vets, but I don't think that injection is a choice. What about some sort of over-the-counter medicine that would be similar to beuthanasia? Does anyone know?

Also thank you all for being so understanding and debating this peacefully. He is a pet and he's about 8-10 years old, I don't think stomping on his head would settle right with me.
    Owner of two super loved and adorable Ball Python brothers
    Normal - Salem The Spoiled
    Pastel - Shilo The Spazzy

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts
    Have you tried reaching out to your local Herp club or Herp Society?
    They may have connections to certain vets that could help you out.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by satomi325 View Post
    Have you tried reaching out to your local Herp club or Herp Society?
    They may have connections to certain vets that could help you out.
    I don't know if Olathe has a herp club or herp society, however I'll definitely look into that! Thanks!

Thanks
    I'm actually afraid to inform you guys that Sam is no longer with me. He died of natural causes just shortly prior to this post. He was having trouble breathing and his mouth was bubbling, I attempted to wash his mouth with some water and saline. His body temperature quickly dropped and he was defecating all over himself, I panicked and placed him in some warm water to wash him off and tried to clear his airways with a bulb syringe... He died quietly and fairly quickly with minimal suffering, but I'm still so upset. I'm sorry that I waited so long, but I simply couldn't afford the vet and I couldn't do anything else. I feel so horrible.

Thank you to all of you who offered your help...

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts
    I am really sorry for your loss.
    My sincere condolences.

Thanks
    Sorry for your loss. Hopefully the conversation here has at least been educational for those who might experience a similar situation in the future.
    Mountain bikes are for slow people, and reptiles are far better pets than cats & dogs!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234