Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,387

0 members and 3,387 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks

Rhaegal, My New Rescue *PICS*

Provide* her*.... sorry for the double post.

http://www.drag-a-longs.com/

<---Another link for you to help make hot summer day outings a little safer.
    Last edited by Herpenthusiast3; 05-04-2013 at 11:04 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Herpenthusiast3 For This Useful Post:

Archimedes (05-04-2013)

Thanks

Re: Rhaegal, My New Rescue *PICS*

Quote Originally Posted by Herpenthusiast3 View Post
    I read through this thread and it seems like you have a pretty good handle on caring for your new little buddy so I'm sure you know the majority of what was is in that message but I shared it anyways because I wanted to pro IDE you with one of the most comprehensive Beardie care sheets that I have found. One again congratulations to you and him.
    Thank you so much for reassuring me that I'm doing this right. I got good at BP care, so learning desert animal husbandy is on the other end of the spectrum, but I like to think I'm doing all right so far. You guys are all affirming that I'm doing things right for sweet little Rhaegal, and that makes me really happy. I'm saving all of the resources that are provided to me, so trust me, any and all info will not go to waste!

And I am definitely considering getting her a harness. Just too cute, plus she really enjoys the sunlight, so definitely a good investment.
    Last edited by Archimedes; 05-04-2013 at 11:08 AM.
    1.1 Ball Pythons
    a) Calliope 0.1, Banana Ball, 2018/19 season, 600g
    b) Geralt 1.0 Chocolate Sable Mojave pos. Trick ball, May 27th 2020

3.2 Cats (Fury, Leviathan, Walter, Chell, Amelie); 2.0 Dogs (Bjorn, Anubis); 2.1 Ferrets (Bran, Tormund, Arya); 0.1 Beardie (Nefertiti); 0.1 Slider Turtle (Species uncertain) (Papaya); 2.0 Hermit Crabs (Tamatoa, Sushi); 0.1 Conure (Mauii); Two Axolotyls (Quetzl and Unnamed); Two Tree Frogs (Pluto and Colossus); One Anole (Zeus); One Crestie (Noferatu); 3.0 Guinea Pigs (Paco, Poncho and Piccolo); 0.1 Pink Toe T (Azula)

Fish:
    1.1 Oscar Cichlids (Rocky 1.0, hx2020, Red Fire, and Bubble 0.1, hx2019, Tiger), 1.1 Convict Cichlids (Hurley and Sloane), 0.1 Strawberry Peacock Cichlid (Comet), Two Plecos, Rubby the Rubbernose Pleco and Trinidad the common Pleco, 2.0 Upside Down Catfish (Poseidon, Neptune), One Red Parrot Cichlid (Firefly), 1.0 Betta Fish (Jenkins),
    2.2 Cherry Barbs ("The Worst"), 1.0 Electric Blue Acara (Goldeneye)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Archimedes For This Useful Post:

Herpenthusiast3 (05-04-2013)

Thanks

Not a prob. I'm excited for you. It's always cool to see a Beardie be brought back to health with good care. They always seem so appreciative. Experiment around with different foods to find out what she likes. There is a massive list of things she can and can not eat attached to the care sheet in the link. Please keep us updated on her progress. )

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Herpenthusiast3 For This Useful Post:

Archimedes (05-04-2013)

Thanks

I think she's feeling pretty relaxed.
    (Taken last night before lights-out; she hadn't moved much by lights-on this morning. Heh.)
    1.1 Ball Pythons

3.2 Cats (Fury, Leviathan, Walter, Chell, Amelie); 2.0 Dogs (Bjorn, Anubis); 2.1 Ferrets (Bran, Tormund, Arya); 0.1 Beardie (Nefertiti); 0.1 Slider Turtle (Species uncertain) (Papaya); 2.0 Hermit Crabs (Tamatoa, Sushi); 0.1 Conure (Mauii); Two Axolotyls (Quetzl and Unnamed); Two Tree Frogs (Pluto and Colossus); One Anole (Zeus); One Crestie (Noferatu); 3.0 Guinea Pigs (Paco, Poncho and Piccolo); 0.1 Pink Toe T (Azula)

Fish:
    1.1 Oscar Cichlids (Rocky 1.0, hx2020, Red Fire, and Bubble 0.1, hx2019, Tiger), 1.1 Convict Cichlids (Hurley and Sloane), 0.1 Strawberry Peacock Cichlid (Comet), Two Plecos, Rubby the Rubbernose Pleco and Trinidad the common Pleco, 2.0 Upside Down Catfish (Poseidon, Neptune), One Red Parrot Cichlid (Firefly), 1.0 Betta Fish (Jenkins),

Thanks
    I feel bad now. She's much more alert today, so I offered her some dusted greens, and she took them willingly from the tongs, but now she has stress marks on her chest and tummy, I think overstimulation from the "zombie dance" I did with the veggies. should I just drape a towel across the front of her viv and let her chill, or what?
    1.1 Ball Pythons

Fish:

Thanks

Put some greens in there cover it up and make sure there is a hide provided. Beardies act like narcoleptics. When they find a warm dark secure hole they dig in and crash out. My Beardie is most brightly colored right after she has had a nap. They just de stress well when sleeping. If that doesn't seems to help or fit her need and she seems bloated but still hasn't defecated give her a warm bath and it will help her pass the stool. A nice hide for her to sleep in is your best bet though. . If the hide is on the cool side they fall into a deeper sleep almost as though its easier for them to charge down.

Old pic of Mushu waking from a nap.
    Last edited by Herpenthusiast3; 05-05-2013 at 05:20 AM.

Thanks
    I am pleased to report that Rhaegal is eating on her own without any coaxing from me! How long should I expect to wait for a stool passage though? I have seen no evidence of her preparing to pass, though she doesn't seem bloated or uncomfortable. She's getting a nice warm bath tomorrow anyway, but she hasn't produced any evident urate or feces since I picked her up last Tuesday.
    1.1 Ball Pythons

Fish:

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Archimedes For This Useful Post:

Herpenthusiast3 (05-11-2013)

Thanks

If the Beardie wasn't on a maintained eating regiment she may be storing the food in worries of when her next meal will take place. If she hasn't passed a stool give her a warm bath. If she begins to swim a bit this helps a lot in the process of passing a stool. You are going to want to pay attention to how often she defecates to make sure that she doesn't build up a urate large enough to become impacted. When she becomes a healthier weight and realizes that food is readily accessible there will be less of a risk of this happening.
    Last edited by Herpenthusiast3; 05-06-2013 at 10:23 PM.

Thanks

A few photo updates:

She's settling in quite nicely, and liked my one buddy so much that she gave a nice big smile for the camera while he was handling her. (Or, you know, thermoregulating, but it was an adorable photo op nonetheless.)

That same evening, passed out on my chest. She loves having her crown rubbed.

And a hazy picture from this morning. Look at that belly!

She's passed a few urates at this point, although she's still got some shed on her crown that we're gently working on. She's a great little pet, if a bit annoyed with the curious kitten, but I would be too in her shoes. (er, claws.)
    1.1 Ball Pythons

Fish:

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Archimedes For This Useful Post:

Herpenthusiast3 (05-22-2013)

Thanks

Exclamation

So up until last night/this morning, Rhaegal was eating, drinking and behaving fine. Last night, after I cleaned her carpet, she settled down beneath her basking log to sleep. I didn't think anything of it, as I've seen her sleep there before, and she hadn't moved when I turned her lights on in the morning. Also fairly typical. I checked on her and she peeked at me, but no real change of position took place. I went out for the day.

I just got home, and she still hadn't moved. A little alarm went off in my head, and I picked her up to examine her more closely. She was pale, paler than I've ever seen her, and cold, like she hadn't even been up to her basking spot all day. She peered at me and stirred a bit in my hands, then began acting a bit more normal, so I put her back and left her UVB on, turning her day lamp off, hoping she'd stay there to warm up. She didn't, went back to a spot under the branch.

I did leave my window open today since it was so nice out, but that was the only change in environment, other than the spot-clean of her tank. Did the cooler outside air put her into a brumation cycle? Do you think she was just especially sleepy? I'm worried about my girl. =/
    Last edited by Archimedes; 05-27-2013 at 01:11 AM.
    1.1 Ball Pythons

Fish:

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast