Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,318

4 members and 3,314 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Thinking about getting into amphibians. Suggestions?

Hi All,
    I've had a ball python for 7 years now, and fostered a bearded dragon for about 6 months. I work at a pet store in the fish and reptile section and know a decent amount about various reptiles (not as in-depth individually as I do Ball Pythons or anybody in the forum) and I'm considering going into amphibians. I do a simple read up on them for work, but I don't own any, so I lack as much knowledge as anybody who has every owned one. They are really cool, and lets face it, incredibly cute. I was thinking about doing a large ecosystem type set-up, or if I would be advised against it. As in get a 40-50 gallon and maybe some fire-bellied toads and salamanders in a false stream set up with a filter. I'd also like to maybe put some tree frogs in there but I don't know if that would be possible with the toxins from the toads/salamanders. On an individual basis I know care is fairly simple, but is there a possibility of building an ecosystem like this? Or am I being ignorant? Does anybody have any experience doing this?
    Thanks,
    -Liam

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Hi Liam,

I am part of the dart frog community. We stress that it is important to keep a single species in a tank because of a number of things, stress, competition and most importantly, the spread of diseases and pathogens (Chytrid). Our version of mixed tanks are one species of frog and a variety of feeder and janitor insects such as Isopods. This way, it eliminates many potential hazards a novice keeper wouldn't be able to identify in time to prevent a death.

You also must think about the different husbandry requirements to each animal, especially if they are not found in the same region. What temps do each species need? Humidity requirements and airflow are a big thing for some tree frogs. Also, you need to have an area large enough where each of the species can get away from one another.

Some mixed tanks can be successful of course. I have seen it done in very large tanks with species that originate from the same area in the wild and with each species living in different areas of the tank, if not active during different light cycles.

All in all, a successful mixed tank is not something I am ready for. I don't want to risk my animals health for the reason that I want to drop them in a tank together.

Angela

Thanks
    First thing, DO IT! my suggestion would be to get some darts. they are not extremely simple to care for (but not hard) but if you read up and set up your vivarium correctly, they thrive. they are also very cool to watch and the colors are amazing. I picked up a pair of Dendrobate tinctorius Bakhuis as my first frogs and they are always using every square inch of their home. If you want an ecosystem setup, darts are the way to go. as for feeding, fruit fly culturing seems annoying but is so easy, and cheap. For anymore info you can always contact me or check out dendroboard - an amazing site just like this one. Goodluck!

- Patrick Josey

Thanks
    I have a friend that has a custom made mixed species vivarium 4w x 2d x 4t. But all the species are native to each other and theres only two different species of tree frog that I think are in the same family or order or whatever. The rest of the species are isopods like millipedes, some kind of rollie pollie, two small fresh water fish, and some kind of spring tail. Iv always read not to mix species because of competition and potential stress. Not to mention some amphibians have a toxin. But I think if you do your research and really know what you're getting into it could be done.

Edit: And a snail lol
    Last edited by txdrop; 05-03-2013 at 12:44 PM.

xbox live: plu7o
    steam: plu7onium

Thanks

Re: Thinking about getting into amphibians. Suggestions?

Thanks guys. That's sort of what I figured. I would definitely jump into some heavy research and maybe figure out what can go with what and if it was possible what kind of species can live together. I'd definately be weary of toxins and sicknesses. I like newts, but red eye tree frogs are my favourite so far. I'd really like to set up some sort of false stream with a "underwater" filter and rubber hose and have a couple axolotls in there. But it sounds like people are saying darts are the way to go, to at least to start with. I probably won't be setting it up for a while seeing as I have little room at the moment and I'm in a temporary rental house. My uncle has about 15 different sizes of fish tank ranging from 10-65 gallons that he could probably be willing to give to me. He already gave me a 90 gallon which I am using for African Cichlids.

I really appreciate the feed back. This will be my biggest endeavor into the world of husbandry yet, but probably the most rewarding, and it's nice to know there are several online communities to help me out with it.

Thanks

Re: Thinking about getting into amphibians. Suggestions?

Well i'd have to advise you not to mix animals but for starting amphibs i'd go with firebelly toads tiger salamanders and gray treefrogs would be my personal advise.