Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,201

0 members and 3,201 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,543
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
    Thanks

snakes die with you?

If a captive venomous snake, a pet not a wild one, bites and kills you will that snake be put down? I was under the impresson that they wouldn't, at least not because they killed you, maybe because it cant be given a home or released in the wild, but not because it's a man killer. when i asked about this i was told that if a snake like a burm kills someone it has to be put down because it's a man killer, but if a hot kills someone it wont be put down because that is considered an accidental death, and no harm will come to the snake. but some people make it sound like this is not the case, so I'm wondering what will happen to a pet hot that kills someone. (I'd like to rule out someone suing the owner, assuming the owners snake killed someone else, to have the snake put down.)

Thanks
    I was under the impression that venomous snakes that kill were taken to zoo's, exhibits, and places like that. I don't think they're put down.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,979 Times in 5,583 Posts

snakes die with you?

For non-venomous snakes, its happened so few times that no one probably even bothered to keep the stats. There have only been 10 non-venomous snake deaths in the past 23 years lol.
    1.0 normal bp
    mad roaches yo

Thanks

Re: snakes die with you?

The way situation is dealt with will of course vary from incident to incident. Assuming that the animals are being kept legally then even if they were to kill the owner I would think that because they are private property the would then become the responsibility of the next of kin. Just like any other thing that the owner had. They could in theory be willed to an individual or institution also I would think. The only reason that authorities would be involved would be if they animals were being kept in violation of municipal, state (or provincial) or federal law. Or if the person who became responsible for them requested the intervention of what ever kind be it animal control, zoo or what have you because they were unwilling or incapable of caring for the collection. In that instance the group that took possession of the animals would determine there fait based on what ever. But I highly doubt that even if the animal was euthanized it would be because it had killed someone. Or at least I hope not
    Visit us for all your housing needs http://www.herphouses.com/

Thanks

Re: snakes die with you?

Quote Originally Posted by jason_ladouceur View Post
    The way situation is dealt with will of course vary from incident to incident. Assuming that the animals are being kept legally then even if they were to kill the owner I would think that because they are private property the would then become the responsibility of the next of kin. Just like any other thing that the owner had. They could in theory be willed to an individual or institution also I would think. The only reason that authorities would be involved would be if they animals were being kept in violation of municipal, state (or provincial) or federal law. Or if the person who became responsible for them requested the intervention of what ever kind be it animal control, zoo or what have you because they were unwilling or incapable of caring for the collection. In that instance the group that took possession of the animals would determine there fait based on what ever. But I highly doubt that even if the animal was euthanized it would be because it had killed someone. Or at least I hope not
    I imagine the only time the govt would "repo" the snake is maybe if permits are needed. I don't think those can be willed on. The next of kin could get one if they wanted/ were able to, but otherwise I think the state would take the animal and euthanize it.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    0.0.1 RTB
    1.0 Albino Burm
    1.0 Pastel Ball
    0.1.0 Normal Ball

Reef tank, amazonian tank

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I'm pretty sure it all depends on where it happens and the circumstances around the death. Even with non-venomous deaths, it isn't a death sentence for the snake. The snake that killed the little girl in Florida a couple years ago was actually treated for stab wounds inflicted by the "owner" and placed in a new, more experienced home.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. ~ Herm Albright

The current zoo:
    Pets
    2.1 Felis catus; 1.2 Ringneck Doves; 1.1 Budgies; bunches o' Rats/Mice (pets and feeders);
    2.1 BCI; 1.0 BP; 1.0 Corn; 1.0 Honduran Milksnake; 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa; 0.1 Dumeril's Boa; 1.0 Texas Ratsnake; 1.0 Calico Black Ratsnake; 1.1 Western Hognose; 0.1 Beardie; 0.1 Tawny Plated Lizard; 1.0 Blue-Tongue Skink; 0.1 Crestie; 0.1 Spiny-tailed Iguana; 0.0.1 Chaco Striped Knee Tarantula
    Fosters/Rescues
    2.0 BCI
    0.2.2 BP
    1.0 Corn
    1.0 Red-Foot Tortoise
    1.0 Greek Tortoise
    0.0.10 Leopard Tortoises
    0.0.1 Asian Vine Snake