Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,195

0 members and 3,195 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    Thanks

Nile monitor wont eat

My Nile monitor i purchased on Sunday, the first day i had him home he ate two horn worms. Since then he has not eaten, i have left two in the room in hopes that he would eat them. I also left a guppy in his tank in case he prefers to eat fish instead. The temperature is normally about 80 degrees and humidity is about 60%. I am keeping him in a zilla 20 gallon long (hes really small, at least two times his size in length) and his bedding is wood chips about 2 inches deep. Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks

Re: Nile monitor wont eat

His enclosure is bad, his substrate his bad, his temps are low. Get him into a real cage, give him deep dirt/sand mixture to dig in, give him higher temps with a basking surface temperature of 120+, my nile uses basking temps up to 160. Probably you're keeping him too cold and stressed to want to eat or eat more. Heat him up, leave him alone, and give him places to hide (burrows, a real cage that isn't open on all sides)... and you'll see him perk up.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Dehlol For This Useful Post:

I-KandyReptiles (05-02-2013)

Thanks

The wood chips are more or less large pieces of bark, not pine its more of a reddish color. I have 2 hides with drift wood to climb on, as well as a large water dish to fully submerge. I thought he would be to stressed to put him in a 55 or my 90 gallon when he is small as he is

Thanks

Again, no bark. Give him a soil substrate he can burrow in, and up his temps. He needs high temps and humidity and your current setup won't give him that. Glass enclosures basically create a monitor jerky machine. He will be just fine in a large enclosure as long as he has plenty of hiding places. You might even find he's much more active when you give him the space. He's not a ball python, he will use every inch of a large enclosure as long as its provided.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
    1.0 Spider "Charlie"
    1.1 Normal "Precious" "Chumley"
    0.1 Pastel "Sweet Dee"
    1.1 Mojave "Stewie" "Little Bit"
    0.1 Lesser "Sally"
    1.0 Pied "Jack"
    1.0 Nile Monitor "Superman"
    0.1 Bearded Dragons "Snookie"
    0.0.1 Sulcuta Tortoise "Kenny Powers"
    1.0 Chocolate lab "Dante"
    1.0 Now snake obsessed boyfriend

Thanks

Thank you for your help! I will head to a petstore and purchase eco earth, and some more light fixtures thanks for the advice!

Thanks

No eco earth, he needs a soil sand mixture. Think more of dirt and not wood.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk 2

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Duh View Post
    The wood chips are more or less large pieces of bark, not pine its more of a reddish color. I have 2 hides with drift wood to climb on, as well as a large water dish to fully submerge. I thought he would be to stressed to put him in a 55 or my 90 gallon when he is small as he is
    DIRT. Let him make his own hides from holes. Water dish won't hydrate him constantly, he'll dry out if his humidity isn't high enough. You can put a baby nile in a big cage right off and it'll do fine but a 55g and 90g are crap. Throw them away or put FISH in them. They are FISH tanks, and do nothing more than kill monitors.

Quote Originally Posted by jbean7916 View Post
    Again, no bark. Give him a soil substrate he can burrow in, and up his temps. He needs high temps and humidity and your current setup won't give him that. Glass enclosures basically create a monitor jerky machine. He will be just fine in a large enclosure as long as he has plenty of hiding places. You might even find he's much more active when you give him the space. He's not a ball python, he will use every inch of a large enclosure as long as its provided.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
    ^

Quote Originally Posted by Duh View Post
    Thank you for your help! I will head to a petstore and purchase eco earth, and some more light fixtures thanks for the advice!
    Quote Originally Posted by reptilenut View Post
    No eco earth, he needs a soil sand mixture. Think more of dirt and not wood.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk 2
    Yes. GO TO YOUR BACKYARD, GET SOME DIRT! lol.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Dehlol For This Useful Post:

I-KandyReptiles (05-02-2013)

BPnet Senior Member I-KandyReptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,321 Times in 1,479 Posts

Nile monitor wont eat

It seems like you did no little to no research before getting a LARGE monitor that has specific husbandry needs.

This monitor is going to get to be huge. Most who get monitors will keep their adults in a custom made shed or room. Definitely not a fish tank.

Do you have a picture of your setup?

As others have said, go get some dirt instead of wood chips.

Also your heat is completely wrong. Monitors need high basking temperatures to help aid in digestion.

If you change your caging and give the monitor the proper husbandry, it will probably eat.

---------
    0.1 Dog (Truffles)
    0.1 Naked Cat (Mercedes)
    1.0 Hamster (Pumpkin)
    1.1 Bumblebees (Satyana & Weedle)
    0.3 Normals (Shayla, Rita and Althea)
    0.1 100% Het Pied Ringer (Avalon)
    1.0 Pied (Monsieur Piederoff)
    1.0 Lesser 100% Het Albino poss het OG (Tinersons)
    0.1 Spider Albino (Ivy)
    0.1 Mojave Cinnamon (Morticia)
    1.1 Normal BCIs (Damon and Conga)
    0.1 Crested Gecko (Natasha)
    0.0.1 Rosehair Tarantula (Charlotte)
    0.0.1 P.Metallica
    0.0.1 A.Avicularia
    0.0.2 P.Irminia
    0.0.1 L.Parahybona
    0.0.1 N.Coloratovillosus
    ?.?.? ASFs

Thanks
    Not trying to be rude, but do you realize that this animal will need a cage around 6'x6'x12' when it make it to adult size? I hope we aren't scaring you away by telling you these things, but people often buy these monitors because they can be gotten cheaply and don't realize how much time, money and effort goes into properly taking care of one. I have to be very careful not to let myself fall for the cute baby monitor thing every time i go to a show because I just don't have anywhere to setup such a large enclosure yet.

One last thing, once you get the husbandry issues sorted out, give the animal a couple weeks without even trying to interact with it. Clean, water, put in food and leave it alone. Once it is eating well and settled in then you can start trying to interact.
    Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket?

Never argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with their experience.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Thanks
    pm sent.

Chris
    "That cute little lizard in the pet shop will, in a few short years, become an enormous, ferocious carnivore; capable of breaking the family cat's neck in a single snap and swallowing it whole." - Daniel Bennett

passion.herp
    passionherp.com
    info@passionherp.com
    facebook.com/passion.herp