Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,934

2 members and 2,932 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,124
Threads: 248,568
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Rai
    Thanks

BP hasn't eaten in a couple months??

I posted back in feb I think when I tried feeding my 3 year old female and she refused. She acted like she was afraid of the rat or something. She's always eaten fresh killed rats, but occasionally I will buy a few and she eats the thawed out ones with no problem at all. Its been about 2 months now, maybe longer and she still won't eat. I talked to owner of a reptile store and he told me it was their mating season and she was fasting?? He told me to warm the tank up and try feeding her mid april. I added another heating pad underneath and waited..I've tried about 4 times now the past 2 weeks and she still does not want to eat. I feel bad bc I'm just wasting rats...She doesn't seem to have lost any weight and is still drinking water. What should I try and do next?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Most times you just have to wait them out. my albino just ate for me a few days ago. first meal since the beginning of September.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Just make sure everything about her setup is correct, and wait. Adult BPs do fast...some of mine have gone 6+ mos. What is your setup like?

Thanks

Re: BP hasn't eaten in a couple months??

Same here I have 4 that are on strike.....The longest has been around 6 months...
    MALES.. 1.0 Coral glow Mojave... 1.0 Coral glow Scaleless head... 1.0 Coral glow Het Pied.. 1.0 Orange dream pastel.. 1.0 Black head Pastel Rng Rg.. 1.0 Calico Yellowbelly.. FEMALES.. 0.1 Bumblebee Scaleless head.. 0.1 Black Pastel 66 Axantic.. 0.1 Leopard Lesser Pastel.. 0.1 Champange Pastel.. 0.1 Pastel Het Pied.. 0.1 Enchi… 0.1 GHI.. 0.1 Het Albino.. 0.1 Mojave.. 0.1 Normal....

BPnet Senior Member I-KandyReptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,321 Times in 1,479 Posts

BP hasn't eaten in a couple months??

Quote Originally Posted by LindsayB View Post
    I posted back in feb I think when I tried feeding my 3 year old female and she refused. She acted like she was afraid of the rat or something. She's always eaten fresh killed rats, but occasionally I will buy a few and she eats the thawed out ones with no problem at all. Its been about 2 months now, maybe longer and she still won't eat. I talked to owner of a reptile store and he told me it was their mating season and she was fasting?? He told me to warm the tank up and try feeding her mid april. I added another heating pad underneath and waited..I've tried about 4 times now the past 2 weeks and she still does not want to eat. I feel bad bc I'm just wasting rats...She doesn't seem to have lost any weight and is still drinking water. What should I try and do next?
    How is your husbandry?

Are your heat pads regulated with a thermostat?
    What are you using to monitor temperatures with?

If your husbandry is spot-on, chances are she is just being a typical ball python and choosing to fast.

As long as shes not losing a lot of weight, it is fine. Shell eat soon.

---------
    0.1 Dog (Truffles)
    0.1 Naked Cat (Mercedes)
    1.0 Hamster (Pumpkin)
    1.1 Bumblebees (Satyana & Weedle)
    0.3 Normals (Shayla, Rita and Althea)
    0.1 100% Het Pied Ringer (Avalon)
    1.0 Pied (Monsieur Piederoff)
    1.0 Lesser 100% Het Albino poss het OG (Tinersons)
    0.1 Spider Albino (Ivy)
    0.1 Mojave Cinnamon (Morticia)
    1.1 Normal BCIs (Damon and Conga)
    0.1 Crested Gecko (Natasha)
    0.0.1 Rosehair Tarantula (Charlotte)
    0.0.1 P.Metallica
    0.0.1 A.Avicularia
    0.0.2 P.Irminia
    0.0.1 L.Parahybona
    0.0.1 N.Coloratovillosus
    ?.?.? ASFs

Thanks
    Don't offer more than once a week. When you offer every few days and they're not hungry, they're just going to get more and more stressed about it and then really not want to eat. Take a deep breath and wait her out. She'll start up again soon.
    Black Pewter het Hypo Vestris; Black Pastel Enchi Zamira; Black Pastel Cheryn; Hypo Enchi Sofia; Lesser Pastel Eren; Super Mojave ???; Piebald Mako; Fire Vin; Pastel Estelle; Spider Hanji, Ezri; Normal Angelina, John, Aradia; Mojave Joe; Anerythreustic Kenyan Sand Boa ???; German Shepherd Dog Atticus; Rats Snowman, Colette, Calliope, Eliza, ???, ???