Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,954

0 members and 2,954 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

zacharynay (18)

» Stats

Members: 75,114
Threads: 248,553
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, kindred_of_rot
    Thanks

Best cage height for a hog island boa?

I am looking at cage heights for my hog island. He loves to periscope and loves to climb my arms and wrap around my face. I call it hugging ha ha. What height cage is good for him? I am looking at 12 inch, 14 inch, and 17 inch. I would hate to get the 17 inch high one and then it be too tall so he doesn't use that space. I don't want to see a lot of empty space at the top of the cage with branches he doesn't use. But I don't want to put him into a 12 or 14 and see that he would be happier being able to climb higher. What do you other boa owners think would be best? I am looking at comparable prices for both sizes. He is an adult or nearly an adult. He is my favorite snake, so I want what is best for him. So friendly and curious! I just love him. The lengths I am looking at are around 36 to 32 inches long. Widths are around 23 to 14. Is 14 inches wide too narrow? He is a very slim snake and only around 5 feet long. He isn't a big boy. I am trying to find cages that are the same length and width for him and for my ball python so I can stack them. They can be different heights since they are stacked. So I was going to get the 12 inch tall for the ball and unsure about the height for my hog island. His name is Dax, by the way. Thanks for any info!
    1.2 het pied ball pythons, Hoyt, Suzanna & Rayne
    1.0 Hog Island boa, Dax
    1.0 albino ball python, Marty
    1.0 poodle, Vegas
    2.0 guinea pigs, Ralphie and Randy

Thanks
    Thanked 1,841 Times in 1,268 Posts
    I usually recommend a 4 x 2 x 18" tall viv for larger dwarf boas and Colombian males (6' for large BCI males and females and the larger boa localities).
    Last edited by Daybreaker; 04-29-2013 at 03:30 PM.
    ~Angelica~
    See my collection HERE

4.15 Ball Pythons
    1.1 Angolan Pythons
    2.2 Cali Kings_______________________0.1 SSTP Black Blood
    1.1 T+ Argentine BCOs______________1.0 Snow Bull
    1.3 Colombian morph BCIs___________0.1 Coastal Carpet
    0.1 Hog Island BCI__________________0.1 Platinum Retic
    0.1 Het Anery BCL __________________0.1 Lavender Albino Citron Retic
    0.2 Central American morph BCIs_____1.0 Blonde/Caramel Retic
    0.1 Pokigron Suriname BCC__________0.1 Goldenchild Retic
    0.0.1 Corn

Thanks
    Thanks Daybreaker. There are just too many choices in cages. I'll post pics when I make a decision. Hog Island is my favorite snake. I love how he is pink and has such a great personality and is curious.
    1.2 het pied ball pythons, Hoyt, Suzanna & Rayne
    1.0 Hog Island boa, Dax
    1.0 albino ball python, Marty
    1.0 poodle, Vegas
    2.0 guinea pigs, Ralphie and Randy

Thanks

Best cage height for a hog island boa?

I have a small male hog island boa that is in a 25 qt tub. He is about three feet long. I have a full grown female hog island in a Vision 422. She is doing really well in there. She is even on the larger side for a hog island.
    Facebook - Stare Worthy Serpents
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Stare...76771925806600

Instragram - StareWorthySerpent

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts

Re: Best cage height for a hog island boa?

Quote Originally Posted by lusciousdragon View Post
    I am looking at cage heights for my hog island. He loves to periscope and loves to climb my arms and wrap around my face. I call it hugging ha ha. What height cage is good for him? I am looking at 12 inch, 14 inch, and 17 inch. I would hate to get the 17 inch high one and then it be too tall so he doesn't use that space. I don't want to see a lot of empty space at the top of the cage with branches he doesn't use. But I don't want to put him into a 12 or 14 and see that he would be happier being able to climb higher. What do you other boa owners think would be best? I am looking at comparable prices for both sizes. He is an adult or nearly an adult. He is my favorite snake, so I want what is best for him. So friendly and curious! I just love him. The lengths I am looking at are around 36 to 32 inches long. Widths are around 23 to 14. Is 14 inches wide too narrow? He is a very slim snake and only around 5 feet long. He isn't a big boy. I am trying to find cages that are the same length and width for him and for my ball python so I can stack them. They can be different heights since they are stacked. So I was going to get the 12 inch tall for the ball and unsure about the height for my hog island. His name is Dax, by the way. Thanks for any info!
    I've been unbelievably happy with my Pro-Line 48" X 23" X 14" cage. I went with perch holders, and an added lock. $263 delivered to my door step.

I have a male Barranquilla Colombian boa. 14" high is perfect with the perches. I considered 18", but I keep temps easier in a 14". Some are satisfied with the 11" Boaphiles and they are so popular its hard to argue they are bad.

This is what I have and I love it. IMO, best type of plastic for cleaning hands down.

One more shot.
    Last edited by Gio; 04-30-2013 at 12:01 PM.