Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,302

3 members and 3,299 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Here's a head scratcher!

how closely related are the parents? what is the source for the parents, are they from the same breeder? Maybe even from the same clutch?

only explanation is that you did not breed distantly related albino to het albino, but that albino and het albino are both very closely related, siblings or mother/son. then its enough if only one grandparent is possible het for something, because inbreeding does the rest: the parents share grandparents in some weird way.

you might be able to bring out more of these, with inbreeding. Im no fan of this. Especially not if this unexpected hit is already the result of inbreeding.

Its not unlikely to be a clown, since it is a pattern morph, and since it would otherwise be visible in the parents it has to be a recessive pattern morph. There are not many recessive pattern morphs that look remotely like this. But i also would not yet exclude the possibility that you just hit a very, very reduced normal.

If you hit a clown by doing inbreeding, you should buy a different unrelated clown to breed it, or sell it. If it is now impacted by inbreeding, it would be a good idea to make sure it is being bred to unrelated BPs next generation. Inbreeding is controversial, i say avoid it if possible, but i can tolerate breeders that do it more often than i would consider necessary. I would go to lengths to avoid inbreeding and even if other breeders do inbreeding i can still easily avoid it in my collection, so i say live and let live. But my advice is: unless working on double recessives, it can and should be avoided. And even when working on a double recessive project, as soon as you hit the first visuals, you can and should avoid inbreeding from that point on.

Anyway, the clearest and best photos can be made right after the 1st shed, i am very much looking forward to that, so keep us updated. Also, data on parents please, are the parents related or not?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,319 Times in 1,088 Posts
    Wow that is a sweet lookin snake! I couldnt begin to ponder what other possibilities it could be but I am definitely gonna keep an eye on this thread! Cant wait to see it outta the egg! I do think pics of the parents would be nice though. If you say the male is a visual albino couldnt it be possible he is hiding some traits? I would love to see the daddy!
    -Andrew Hall-

Good night Chesty, wherever you are....

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Andybill For This Useful Post:

qegalpal (04-25-2013)

BPnet Senior Member SquamishSerpents's Avatar
    Thanks

Here's a head scratcher!

Commenting to subscribe, can't wait til it's out!

Thanks

the problem is that all the codom pattern morphs, like spider or pinstripe or even stuff like calico or mojave or enchi, just dont hide in an albino. They are visible. You get white instead of black/grey and yellow instead of brown, but patterns do show in albinos.

Yes pictures of the parents would help! I assume its just a normal looking albino and a normal looking het albino, but maybe the pictures reveal something more, like an albino spider, or if both have very reduced patterns. But should both parents look quite normal, my bet would still be on a lucky clown hit from unlabeled possible hets. Or, worst case.... just an incubation issue maybe?

Thanks

Whatever it is, it's absolutely stunning! Can't wait to see it out of the egg!

Thanks

Suscribed to this thread. That baby is a stunner I cant wait to see updates on it.

1.0 Ball Pythons(Twizzler)
    1.0 Cat (Loki)
    My Collection
    Snakes
    1.0 Mojave (Twizzler)
    0.1 Dumerils (Cerin)
    1.0 Hypo BCI (Vero)

1.1 Dogs (Krackers & Ripley)

Tarantulas & Other Arachnids
    0.2 G. rosea, 0.0.1 P. murinus, 0.0.1 B. sabulosum, 0.0.1 L. difficilis, 0.0.1 A. geniculata
    0.0.1 A. versicolor, 0.0.1 L. parahybana, 0.0.1 Hapalopus sp columbia, 0.0.1 B. vagans
    0.0.1 Asian Forest Scorpion

Lizards
    1.0 Tokay Gecko

Thanks
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 1,769 Posts
    I can see why one would guess clown, but based on the first picture, you can clearly see that the eye stripe is straight. Most clowns have janked up eye stripes. It's normally one of the first things I show someone who is new to clowns since the rest of the pattern can get quite confusing to someone new =p. The head pattern and eye stripe is definitely not clown .

I do think it's a sweet looking snake though! I'm guessing perhaps incubation issue, but I'm not going to rule out the possibility that it was inbreeding-related since I haven't seen much evidence of this kind of thing happening in snakes. I know people SAY that inbreeding is bad, but nobody ever posts pictures displaying issues directly caused by inbreeding.....

Looks like a nice yellow banded snake . If it's a female, find yourself an enchi het albino male please .... That would be a great way to improve the combo
    Quote Originally Posted by reixox View Post
    BPs are like pokemon. you tell yourself you're not going to get sucked in. but some how you just gotta catch'em all.

Thanks

been subscribed since the second comment, this little bugger needs to come out already!

Thanks

I too am anxious lets see this beast. What about pics of the parents it almost looks like a orange dream or enchi. Or desert enchi lol....anyone's guess

Sent from my ADR6410LRA using Tapatalk 2

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by h00blah View Post
    I know people SAY that inbreeding is bad, but nobody ever posts pictures displaying issues directly caused by inbreeding.....
    Basically, in all sexually reproducing animals, which includes almost all multi-cellular animals, it causes problems.

Its the same for all life: One vital gene may be located on one spot in one chromosome. You have it all two times, from mom and dad. If one is broken, you are still healthy, if both copies are broken, if its a vital gene, you are sick or even died as an embryo.

We know most about humans, human recessive conditions are rare when people avoid inbreeding, and get extremely amplified when people do inbreed:

most of these are NOT FUN. I exclude plants and fungus and bacteria because they are weird and they dont suffer when they hit a recessive gene. But all multicellular animal life runs into problems if there is too much inbreeding. You have 4 grandparents, and if you want children you should do it with someone that has 4 DIFFERENT grandparents. In the overall genome, chances for hitting a recessive genetic disease are low, but if ancestry between you and your mate is to a point identical, the odds go crazy. And even if you dont hit a disease, offspring is likely to be still impacted with developmental problems and/or stupidity. Thats how it is for the most-studied species: Humans.

In Pets, for pedigree breeding, inbreeding is a shortcut. Sometimes a REQUIRED shortcut, sometimes its just necesary. But the risks still exist. Reptiles appear to be quite resilient when it comes to inbreeding, but still, there is a general trend: If you inbreed, health goes down, fertility goes down, recessive diseases can pop up, but you can reset the process by outbreeding to unrelated individuals.

Entire species overextend, like for example pedigree dog breeding. These darn Ridgebacks for example, the ridgeback is a problematic recessive genetic disease, and it causes suffering and requires treatment. Still, dog breeders produce the breed and it is a popular breed, and sometimes ridgeless ridgebacks are born. They are perfectly fine dogs, with two differences:
    1.: They do not and will never suffer from the genetic issue haunting ridgebacks. They make the perfect pet.
    2.: They do not have the ridge on the back, its missing.
    Now what dog breeders do is to cull them and to further inbreed. Offering them for sale would hurt their reputation. Show quality german shepherds cannot walk properly, its an inbred deteriorated genetic disaster. And these breeders are reckless, and they say things like "If its a boy, its gonna visit its mom later". Just like the original poster did.

Its a shortcut, BUT THERE IS A PRICE, AND DO NOT DENY IT.

end of rant.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast