Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,651

0 members and 2,651 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Scott L. (28)

» Stats

Members: 75,129
Threads: 248,574
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, KILLER112397
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Exclamation New Ball Python owner

Hello, everyone!

I am glad to have found a site for herp lovers like myself.

I have a bearded dragon (who is doing really well, btw), and bought my ball python on Monday from a pet store. She is a cutie pie. I believe that her environment is set up pretty well regarding the temperature requirements and hidey holes. I do have some questions I hope that y'all can help me with because I want to do right by her:

1. I have read between 1-2 weeks for the acclimation period. The rep at the store said that she is due for a meal on Thursday although I feel that this is too soon due to having her settle in to her new home. Which is the better timeframe: one or two weeks?

2. I plan on placing her in a seperate enclosure to eat. After eating her meal, how long should I leave her in her temporary enclosure? I realize that they can have G.I. issues from being handled too soon. I have read anywhere from immeidate removal to 30 minutes to an hour. What is best? Also: how should I set up the temporary enclosure solely meant for feeding only? Does it need a hidey hole and water bowl in there as well? Or simply just newspaper?

3. As a first time snake owner, I have been doing well picking her up. However, today, my husband and I switched her from the 10 gallon aquarium which was just inadequate to a nice 20 gallon meant for snakes. I know this stressed her out. Anyway, getting to the point: I was about to pick her up as normal when my husband told me to wait. Her head was cocked back looking up. I paused until she started to extend herself out, picking her up. My question: When I go handle her again, which method is best: Go from the side in a steady manner, and simply pick her up OR pet her for a bit, and slowly pick her up? I always thought that slow was best although, based on the contradicting posts of others on sites, I am confused on this.

4. Snake bites. I realize that one of these days I am going to get bitten. I can deal with this concept as long as I know how to remedy the situation (I am a nurse and very concrete with my thinking). From what I have read, a bp will loosen up its hold as long as a person remains calm. Others say to run cold water over their heads, or, (goodness forbid), pour alcohol onto their eyes (which would make me even more mad if someone did that to me!). What is the best way to loosen their hold on your hand without hurting them?

I have alot of questions, so thanks for investing your time into reading this. I appreciate any constructive, knowledgeable answers that you all may have!

- Kat

Thanks
    1. When I get new snakes, I do not handle them for two weeks like suggested, however I will offer them their first meal with me a week after I set them up on my feeding day to get them started on the feeding cycle I keep the rest of the snakes on. Sometimes it's no dice and they won't eat, other times they will. No fret, just try again next week.

2. As for a feeding enclosure you do not have to actually set up another enclosure, a plastic bin with no substrate or hides will usually work just fine, and waiting 20-30 minutes should suffice until you return it to the regular enclosure. I used to be all for feeding in separate bins however, I stopped doing this after the eighth snake since finding a bunch of separate tubs/tupperware containers became really cumbersome, and personally, I've had a higher success rate of my BPs eating when I feed them in their racks since. If you're planning on feeding in a separate container to prevent cage aggression, it really doesn't matter or have a profound affect on the snake.

3. How big is she (preferably if you could give the weight in grams) because 20gals may just been too large for a little hatchling. That being said, if you're trying to figure out the best way to approach them I would say just gently picking them them up works out pretty well. Hesitating with your hand over their heads will usually give them a start, I'm certain it triggers their fight/flight response since that you are a very large animal who could make a meal out of them. When I approach my larger BPs, I will usually give them a pat on their side or backs to wake them up if their sleeping and give them a bit of a physical cue that they are about to be handled. If you see the BP getting aggressive or frightened, I think it's usually best to just leave them untouched for a little bit and try again later.

4. As for bites there are two types; fear/warning strikes and feeding strikes. What you described sounds more like a feeding strike in which a BP is given reason to mistake you for food, the best way to avoid these types of strikes is to just give the snake no reason to confuse you with a prey item. Cold water/alcohol isn't really meant to be used as an aggrevator or punishment, it's usually just meant to get them to release quickly and give you time to escape. Cold water will also not hurt them so it is probably your best bet. As for fear strikes, they are quick and the snake will usually retreat after you excuse yourself from its presence and you will probably not have much to worry about. They don't hurt bad and usually will not bleed bad either and they best way to avoid them is to not handle a pissy snake.

Well, I guess that covers everything. Goodluck and welcome to the site!
    The Ball Pythons
    0.1 2002 normal "Noodle", 1.0 2011 albino "Mosh", 0.1 2011 pinstripe "Pepper", 1.0 2009 lesser "Cato, 0.1 2010 spider "Phoebe", 1.0 2011 pastel 50% het. hypo "Toad", 0.1 2012 black pewter "Pomona", 0.1 2013 kingpin "Marvel", 0.0.7 lesserxspider eggs

The Others
    0.1 2013 p. baroni "Hyacinth", 0.1 2013 CB g. oxycephala "Laurasia", 1.0 2013 T+ albino p. brongersmai "Reinhardt", 1.0 2012 CH g. oxycephala "Gondwana"

The Dearly Departed
    0.1 2012-2013 hypo black pastel "Dexter"

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MisterKyte For This Useful Post:

Kat_RN (04-24-2013)

Thanks
    1. I always do two weeks of hands off with the only disturbing being done for cleaning, changing water, and feeding. Also you'd be fine to wait on feeding id skip this week also you don't have to keep the pet store schedule pick a day thats best for you and stick with that.

2. There's no need in feeding in a seperate container" in fact this could be more stressful on your snake and cause him/her to refuse. The enclosure is where itll be most comfortable eating.

3. Slow, steady, and confidently just simplying reach in and gently pick her up by the midsection using your other hand to support her weight. Just do it don't hesitate, if you do then you'll both get nervous.

4. Not sure on the biting aspect of it all as ive yet to be bitten.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Luciferskeeper For This Useful Post:

Kat_RN (04-24-2013)

Thanks

Re: New Ball Python owner

MisterKyte:

I am not sure regarding the weight in grams. She is pretty healthy looking, moderately round, and about as long as the length of that 20 gallon I was referencing in my post. I do not believe she is a new hatchling. Like I said, pretty big, although probably less than a year old. I have the tank filled with hidey holes, one on the warm side, two on the cool side, with her water bowl. I also have vines in moderation so that her view is private and obscured. I have her in the family room. About yesterday, and that stance she assumed:

As far as the stance she assumed prior to picking her up, maybe she was hungry. At that point, with her head upward the way it was, I will have to keep that in mind: that she may be hungry (and probably a bit scared as well considering how my husband and I were standing over her at the time before transferring her over). I am starting to believe that transferring a hungry snake over to its temporary enclosure to eat may be a bit of a challenge since it wants to bite (potentially) out of hunger. I will pick her up to feed her Monday (It will be a week by then) before returning her to her home for another week unmessed with. I was told by the store rep that she is a good feeder, had refused her last feeding (they were feeding her every 4 days), and that she was due again on Thursday. Because they can go weeks and/or months without feeding, and due to the acclimation period, I am thinking more like Monday for that feeding. Regarding a seperate enclosure:

I have heard both: some transfer their snakes over, others do not. I totally get why people like yourself with alot of snakes don't have the time to do that with each snake. Since she is my one and only snake, and I would like to avoid her associating every interaction with food, I am going to try the seperate enclosure out.

I found this post really helpful! Thank you!

- Kat
    Last edited by Kat_RN; 04-24-2013 at 08:15 AM.

Thanks

Lucifer's Keeper,

Thank you for your input. I believe that i will continue to find it interesting why or why not some put their snakes in a seperate enclosure, and others do not.

The rationale for either doing, or not doing this, seem really varied per snake owner.

Those who do not do it 1) Have many snakes to care for and 2) Find it unnecessary, not finding the snake to be more aggressive. Those who do it do so 1) So that the snake does not associate every interaction with food 2) Owners can clean the enclosure without worrying about their bp escaping and 3) Without concerns of the bp swallowing substrate with its food.

I really do look forward to hearing more people weigh in with their responses. I find bp and information related to them to be very interesting, especially being a new, first time bp owner.

- Kat

Thanks
    Thanked 2,646 Times in 1,686 Posts

New Ball Python owner

There no need to not handle the animal for a certain amount of time when you first get it in. Unless its extremely stressed.
    I always handle them and give them a meal day one. Don't fall into the trap of listening to the "by the book" ways of doing things.
    You will find with your own experiences what works and what doesn't.

Thanks
    I personally feed my snakes in a separate enclosure. I have a 20 gallon for my adult, and a 10 gallon for the babies. Thursdays are feeding days, that is also the day I clean out cages. I just find it easier to be able to clean out their cage while they're eating, saves time in my opinion. And you don't have to worry about where your snake is while cleaning!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Montypython696 For This Useful Post:

Kat_RN (04-24-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,287 Times in 921 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kat_RN View Post
    Hello, everyone!

I am glad to have found a site for herp lovers like myself.

I have a bearded dragon (who is doing really well, btw), and bought my ball python on Monday from a pet store. She is a cutie pie. I believe that her environment is set up pretty well regarding the temperature requirements and hidey holes.
    lolololol...you said "hidey holes" ...
    Welcome to the forums Kat!
    Its seems like you've got everything about right. And I wouldn't worry about the feeding thing. Ive had snakes take a meal as soon as I got em home and into their new tub!
    Pics would also be good of your new lil cutie.....we LUBS pics
    ALL THAT SLITHERS - Ball Python aficionado/keeper
    breeder of African soft fur Rats. Keeper of other small exotic mammals.
    10 sugar gliders

2 tenrecs
    5 jumping spiders
    paludarium with fish
    Brisingr the albino
    Snowy the BEL
    Piglet the albino conda hognose

FINALLY got my BEL,no longer breeding snakes. married to mechnut450..

Thanks

4theSnakeLady:

I have been doing so much reading on ball pythons: reading books, reading stuff online, looking at You Tube videos. In addition to the one book from the pet store, I have two more on the way!

It is a comfort, and a bit of a relief, that I am doing alright by my bp. I think the hardest part is letting her get acclimated. Like most people, I want to interact although I know, for her own good, to let her settle in a bit before I attempt to handle her more. I am hoping she will eat for me on Monday. I will have to keep you all informed!

She is my hiding most of the time which I know is their norm. She did come out for a bit last night to explore her new surroundings before going back into her hidey hole. Whenever I get my first good picture, I will post it. For now, I did get one of her last night when she was exploring. I left the flash off to not be rude! I will attach it to this post! I hope to get some better pictures of her for sure. She is cute!

Thanks again for your feedback!!

- Kat

P.S. I am an educated Hillbilly out of the hills of Tennessee. I have my own language, Southern, and come up with all sorts of terms: I want to call her hideout a "hidey hole" and her water bowl her "swimming pool". Ha!!

Thanks

I am stumped. How does a person add a picture on here?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast