Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,477

6 members and 3,471 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    Thanks

rat snake directing hate

My gonyosoma hates my boyfriend, i know snakes don't have emotions, but this snake is said to be one of the more intelligent types. Here's what i know:
    The snake has extreme distrust of my bf, and only him. With me he distrusts, but also "respects" me. When i interact with him he is defensive, but it's only bluffing, puffing up and hissing, and he's only struck at me once (though he missed me somehow). He ignores other people, but keeps an eye on them. With everyone but my boyfriend he is weary, and only defensive if someone gets too close or looks at him too long. With my bf he is automatically defensive, and even offensive. The last two times he saw, only looked at, my bf he struck at him.
    Also, when my bf has had to handle the snake, when moving him from his tub to his terrarium, he has ignored my bf's hands to go for his face. There is no way my bf could have abused my snake, and if the snake considered handling to be abusive then he would hate me much more by now. I also don't think it's because he used to me handling him either.
    So my question is could a snake have distrust for one particular person and recognize that person? and why?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,206 Posts

rat snake directing hate

Perhaps your bf's body temp is slightly higher. I know a certain mod on here that is almost guaranteed to get struck at if she walks too close to any snake that isn't her own! :-P
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Annarose15 For This Useful Post:

Faolan (04-23-2013),Stewart_Reptiles (04-23-2013)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: rat snake directing hate

Quote Originally Posted by Annarose15 View Post
    Perhaps your bf's body temp is slightly higher. I know a certain mod on here that is almost guaranteed to get struck at if she walks too close to any snake that isn't her own! :-P
    No kidding

To the OP body temps can play a big part, nervousness on your BF part can also play a role.
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 04-25-2013 at 03:33 PM.
    Deborah Stewart

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Faolan (09-20-2013)

Thanks

Re: rat snake directing hate

Maybe you have the "Lassie" of the snake world - less barking & more scales. How well do you know this guy? Maybe your snake is trying to tell you something. Keep the snake - lose the guy.
    BPs...
    2.3 Normals, 1.1 Pastels, 0.1 Spider, 1.1 100% het albinos, 1.1 albinos, 1.0 Mojave, 1.1 het pieds, 1.0 lesser, 0.1 pinstripe, 0.1 YB

Other reptilian goodness...

0.1 black motley corn, 0.1 western hognose

Wait, you have how many snakes???

7. The Following User Says Thank You to swansonbb For This Useful Post:

Archimedes (04-23-2013)

Thanks
    I've noticed that my boyfriend seems to be the popular target for my snakes: I've only gotten tagged twice when I had my BP (once was when I was feeding her and she missed, and the other time she didn't even get her teeth in me, she just bounced her face off me) and NEVER by my boa, but my bf has bled plenty of times from both of them. All he has to do is put his hand in the tank! But then again, everyone complains about how cold I feel (skin temperature-wise, lol), and my bf is like a freakin' mini-heater. We're pretty sure that they don't recognize me as anything because I'm too cool to trigger a response from them, but he gives off "I'm as warm as your dinner!!" temperatures.

That might be the same problem you're having. Your bf is just too hot for your snake.
    --------
    1.0 Husband
    0.1 Colombian BCI (Satin)

0.1 Spider BP (Loki), R.I.P... We will never forget you...