Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,281

1 members and 3,280 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dry Nose?

Thanks

Dry Nose?

Over the last couple of days, I have noticed that my snake has what appears to be a dry nose. It is hard to describe, and I'll maybe post a pic when I get home, but it looks like what would and could be described as dry skin...if it were on a human. White and flaky? Has anybody ever seen this on a snake before? Any ideas on what it could be? My snake is off feed, and is maybe getting to the point of concern...going on four months now..but there is a long story behind that. He is healthy and active otherwise. Just want to get some kind of feedback if anybody here has ever seen anything like this.

Thanks
    Is he getting ready to shed? Or when has he last shed?

Thanks

Re: Dry Nose?

he shed about a month ago. i have had him for about a year now. he has ate voratiously since i got him and went off feed in january. he is very active. it may be from rubbing on the screen lid? i don't know just saw that in another thread. I am not sure becuase I don't watch him every night, but i do know he is out and about. i don't think the feed issue has anything to do with it, but just wanted to throw that in there in case it might be connected. it is chilly still here in chicago right now..i hope it is not an R.I...but the cage never gets below say 72 on the cool side.. even on the chiliest of nights. during the day, I keep it at 80/90 respecitvely,and that's what he seems to like. 75/80 at night. other than not eating, he has been a normal healthy snake. It just appears to be dry white scales...like he has been rubbing it. Just am not sure, because i have not seen him rubbing. I just saw in another thread that it is common for snakes to get that sometimes?? what is the number one or most obvious symptom of an R.I.? and how serious is it as far as being noticeable? because what appears now seems minor and is not bothering him...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteSoxPyro83 View Post
    it may be from rubbing on the screen lid?
    That would be my vote. A picture might be able to confirm.

I'm unsure of methods to get them to stop aside from not using a screen lid. Did you do the foil top thing or use another method to cover some of it to keep humidity in? That might also help with getting him to stop, he might be viewing it as a way out right now.

Your night temps sound to low to me, but that's just my

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mackynz For This Useful Post:

WhiteSoxPyro83 (05-23-2013)

Thanks

not sure of what method you referenced there, but he has been in this same cage for at least 8 years...not sure. I maily just wanted to get some input as to what are the most obvious and first signs of a respitory infection. And...it only gets that cool at night sometimes...chicago winters are very long and cold. i typically try not to let it go below 78 on the cool side at night.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    You have had it for a year and it has been in the same tank for 8 but it only recently developed this issue.

If it is rubbing the screen and just started recently, during this winter. The rubbing and your low temp could be connected. It may be looking to escape to find a warmer spot.

Do you not have a uth for a constant hotspot?

Your snake should know that escape is not an option and the only reason I think it would start to try is from it not being happy.

I would insulate the sides of the tank and cover most of the screen with foil tape leaving a window for the heat fixture and air flow. That should help maintain constant temps and a better environment for yout ball. Then if you don't have one I would add a uth with tstat.

This is just my thought going with your idea that it is rubbing. A pic might reveal some other issue.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

Thanks

I apologize. I should have made it more clear. The snake belonged to my best friend who passed away last year. The snake is almost ten years old and healthy. His parents gave me the snake last year after he passed; therfore, I have had the snake for only a year. My friend put him in the tank he is in now (40 gal.) when he was a year old or so. That makes it approx. 8 years in that tank. The tank is good. He is happy, and just active. I let him slither around my room every other day or so, and he loves it. He is a very active snake...hence why I think it may be a rubbing issue...not because he is trying to escape because of discomfort. I have a uth controlled by a reostat, and I can also precisely control temp in tank on both sides very precisely. I have had him for a year, and have learned his preferences after playing with it for awhile. I'm not too concerned with that...just was wondering if anybody else on here has had their snake do the same thing, or what the foremost and most prevelant symptoms of a respitory infection are. I really appreciate any input that may be of use.

Thanks
    RI will have wheezing, popping, clicking, labored breathing sounds with mucus in and around the nostrils (this will sometimes be wiped on the cage glass). You might also see yawning with stringy saliva. Sometimes a snake will also lay funny with its head pointed up so it can breath easier.

Rubbing its nose is not a sign. A snake may rub because of mucus but you should be able to see that.

Having a temp drop of as much as 10 degrees is not precise. This us why a tstat is better than a rheostat. The rheostat does not respond to temperate changes when a tstat does.

You should download a pic and find a night when you can try to watch the snake to see if you can find what it is doing.

I have heard of and seen snakes that rubbed but their is usually a reason. Being that this snake has been fine for so many years in that cage there has to be some unknown causing it. Your snake should not be very active. A happy snake is hiding. Sure they will usually come out alittle at night but it is not common for them to explore as if they are in a new home when they are not.
    KMG

Thanks
    Also if your temps and humidity are always precise an RI should not be coming into play.
    KMG

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KMG View Post
    I have heard of and seen snakes that rubbed but their is usually a reason.
    I agree, although the reason may just be that they are trying to get out of the tank.

Link to the foil thread: http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...tment-Tutorial

Just because the snake has been doing fine with that setup for 8 years doesn't necessarily mean there isn't a problem.

I live about 3 hours north of you so I feel your cold weather woes. Don't forget that with the cold comes low humidity which can cause RI issues. Especially with an open screen top, before I did the foil thing with my original enclosure I struggled to keep it above 40%.

In addition to the symptoms KMG listed, mucus in the water dish can be another sign of RI.
    Last edited by mackynz; 04-24-2013 at 01:00 PM.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mackynz For This Useful Post:

KMG (04-24-2013),WhiteSoxPyro83 (05-23-2013)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast