Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,313

0 members and 3,313 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Alright, there has been a ton of discussion about what to house BP's in for the life of their existence. Some say that the 116qt sterilite is good enough for an adult, some say that it is STILL too small. I want to get Hissy in her life long digs within the coming months. I am not worried about gettin her a tub that is too big because I love the interior decorating portion of the enclosure set up so I will fill it with lots of stuff to make sure she feels safe. I cannot really afford to go out & drop a rock & a half or more on an "official" herp cage. So, talk to me kids, where can I find that ever elusive & oh so sought after sterilite or rubbermaid that has the six feet of floor space needed & still has a bit of height to it!!?? Hissy likes to climb from time to time so I want her to have that option. Lay it out for me kiddies!!
    Life is like a game of poker. You can play each hand to the best of your ability but you are still going to run into a bad beat from time to time. What matters is how you handle it. Do you go on tilt or can you maintain your composure & rebuild your stack?

Thanks
    Ok please dont take this as me knocking on you but why not the official herp cage ? after all your ball will be around a long long time if properly cared for why not give it an enclosure you both will enjoy. How long can it take to save up $150-$200?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Tortoise Pen

I don't take it as you knockin me and it isn't the fact that I couldn't find a way to drop the buck fifty on a cage, but if there are easier, FAR less expensive alternatives, why not go that route?? I am in the process of trying to graduate college. To do so I have to student teach this semester. This means I have to pay the school like I am going to regular classes but actually I am going to a job. I have all the same responsibilities as a regular teacher. However, I do not get paid. Because I have to be available for nite time activities just like a regular teacher, there is no time for a part time job. So, I pay to work & not get paid but I won't have enough time to work a job where I do get paid. If you were able to follow, you would know that saving money is extremely important right now!

Add to that the fact that I have rent & utilities every month AND the fact that I just got engaged & you can hopefully see why, at least right now, spending 15 or 20 bucks on a cage big enough for the rest of her life is far more appealing than 150-200.
    Life is like a game of poker. You can play each hand to the best of your ability but you are still going to run into a bad beat from time to time. What matters is how you handle it. Do you go on tilt or can you maintain your composure & rebuild your stack?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Also, I am told that rubbermaid & sterilites are FAR easier to deal with when it comes to maintaining heat & humidity.

Thanks
    Or if you are handy with tools, you could consider building yourself a cheaper version of the "professional" cages with the sliding doors in front and a closed top. I have one that I bought for a song, that's basically an aquariumlike acrylic box with sliding doors in front. Wood could be used to frame the acrylic. You could build something like that for probably 1/3 the cost of the high end cages, and it really does the same thing.
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    For me $150 is more than I could get in year! Thats why I'm going with rubbermaids!
    Ball Pythons: Link
    If you have any advice for a new keeper pm me.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginevive
    Or if you are handy with tools, you could consider building yourself a cheaper version of the "professional" cages with the sliding doors in front and a closed top. I have one that I bought for a song, that's basically an aquariumlike acrylic box with sliding doors in front. Wood could be used to frame the acrylic. You could build something like that for probably 1/3 the cost of the high end cages, and it really does the same thing.
    I would LOVE to go this route Ginny but I am more apt to pull a Tim "The Toolman" Taylor than anything else & blow myself & my snake up if I tired to make my own tank! :lol: :lol: I am NOT at all handy with my hands. I will probably need to call in reinforcements just to set up the rubbermaid correctly!!

Kinda makes me wish my grandpappy was still alive. He was phenominal with his hands. He would be able to craft me the perfect cage!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Rubbermaids rock! They are cheap and work well thats another reason chose to go with them.

Thanks
    I'm using rubbermaids, but when Norbert gets adult size, I'm planning on getting an animal plastics cage.
    1.0 Ball Python, Norbert
    0.1 Corn Snake, Nagini
    1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa, Peeves

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I'm going to use rubbermaids for life. Those animal plastics are way to expensive for me.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast