Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,369

1 members and 1,368 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,109
Threads: 248,549
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, GhostyBoy29
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,979 Times in 5,583 Posts

Home Remedies for Kitty URIs?

Quote Originally Posted by Dracoluna View Post
    Children's benadryl is safe. For cats, you want to use the children's variety and NOT the adult unless you want to redo the math on the dosage. Because cats are more sensitive to the drug, you generally end up using less than the max amount or you end up with one drugged kitty.
    Makes sense

My dog is a GSD and like 70lbs if that helps at all
    1.0 normal bp
    mad roaches yo

Thanks
    Thanked 1,789 Times in 1,214 Posts

Re: Home Remedies for Kitty URIs?

Years ago when I adopted a cat from the humane society with a bad viral URI, the vet told me about L-lysine supplements, he said to sprinkle a capsule into his food, about 500mg per day. The cat got better quickly. He was picky while sick though, I had to mix it into tuna to get him to eat it. It's better to do it in 2 divided doses in the morning and evening so it's more evenly in his system.
    L-lysine suppresses viral replication, makes the virus unable to reproduce so it dies quickly. You can use capsules meant for humans, it helps with the flu for you too.

Sent from microwave via Tapatalk ll
    Balls:
    *0.1 Mojave *0.1 Pinstripe *0.1 Bumblebee *1.0 Super pastel butter *1.0 Mojave orange ghost *0.3 100% het orange ghosts *0.1 Pastel 50% het orange ghost *1.1 PE Lemonback fires *1.0 Fire *0.1 Pastel *1.0 Albino *0.1 Spider 100% het albino
    Other critters:
    *1.0 Anery motley corn *G. rosea tarantula *G. pulchripes *P. metallica *0.0.2 A. versicolor *C. cyaneopubescens *A. geniculata *B. smithi *B. boehmei *Nhandu chromatus *H. maculata *C. marshalli *1.0 Australian shepherd mix

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Coleslaw007 View Post
    Years ago when I adopted a cat from the humane society with a bad viral URI, the vet told me about L-lysine supplements, he said to sprinkle a capsule into his food, about 500mg per day. The cat got better quickly. He was picky while sick though, I had to mix it into tuna to get him to eat it. It's better to do it in 2 divided doses in the morning and evening so it's more evenly in his system.
    L-lysine suppresses viral replication, makes the virus unable to reproduce so it dies quickly. You can use capsules meant for humans, it helps with the flu for you too.

Sent from microwave via Tapatalk ll
    This is a good point; a lot of nasty, super contagious kitty diseases present with URI symptoms, and L-Lysine can help keep some viral issues at bay. If your kitty gets URI type symptoms often, you might want to consider investigating chronic viral disorder vs allergies. Also, sometimes a URI can be treated with simple antibiotics to prevent secondary bacterial infections from getting out of control. Hope your kitty feels better soon!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by regiusloki View Post
    This is a good point; a lot of nasty, super contagious kitty diseases present with URI symptoms, and L-Lysine can help keep some viral issues at bay. If your kitty gets URI type symptoms often, you might want to consider investigating chronic viral disorder vs allergies. Also, sometimes a URI can be treated with simple antibiotics to prevent secondary bacterial infections from getting out of control. Hope your kitty feels better soon!
    She's feeling quite a bit better now! No more sneezing from Miss Sophie. I've been keeping an eye to see if it comes back, but so far so good. Possibly just a quickie springtime allergy? Only time will tell! =]
    1.1 Ball Pythons
    a) Calliope 0.1, Banana Ball, 2018/19 season, 600g
    b) Geralt 1.0 Chocolate Sable Mojave pos. Trick ball, May 27th 2020

3.2 Cats (Fury, Leviathan, Walter, Chell, Amelie); 2.0 Dogs (Bjorn, Anubis); 2.1 Ferrets (Bran, Tormund, Arya); 0.1 Beardie (Nefertiti); 0.1 Slider Turtle (Species uncertain) (Papaya); 2.0 Hermit Crabs (Tamatoa, Sushi); 0.1 Conure (Mauii); Two Axolotyls (Quetzl and Unnamed); Two Tree Frogs (Pluto and Colossus); One Anole (Zeus); One Crestie (Noferatu); 3.0 Guinea Pigs (Paco, Poncho and Piccolo); 0.1 Pink Toe T (Azula)

Fish:
    1.1 Oscar Cichlids (Rocky 1.0, hx2020, Red Fire, and Bubble 0.1, hx2019, Tiger), 1.1 Convict Cichlids (Hurley and Sloane), 0.1 Strawberry Peacock Cichlid (Comet), Two Plecos, Rubby the Rubbernose Pleco and Trinidad the common Pleco, 2.0 Upside Down Catfish (Poseidon, Neptune), One Red Parrot Cichlid (Firefly), 1.0 Betta Fish (Jenkins),
    2.2 Cherry Barbs ("The Worst"), 1.0 Electric Blue Acara (Goldeneye)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12