Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,171

1 members and 3,170 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Large breeds

Thanks

Large breeds

Got the bad news today that our 1 year old male rottweiler has 2 blown ACLs.
    Thanks god we got pet insurance on him. Each knee is $3500, and insurance will cover at 80%-90%. Pheww. I highly recommend insurance on large/giant breeds!
    These pictures are NOT in chronological order.
    I have never met such a kind hearted, gentle, loyal, loving boy as this dog. Cross your fingers for easy surgeries and an easy, but lengthy, healing process

Females: 0.1 fire; 0.1 sugar; 0.1 GHI; 0.1 pinstripe het desert ghost; 0.1 mojave spider; 0.2 mojave; 0.1 black pewter blast; 0.1 leopard pied; 0.1 champagne; 0.1 pied; 0.1 super pastel lesser; 0.1 pewter; 0.1 spider het pied, 0.1 bumblebee; 0.1 lesser; 0.1 spider; 0.1 normal; 0.3 het pied
    Males: 1.0 het desert ghost; 1.0 pastel pied; 1.0 leopard; 1.0 black pastel; 1.0 enchi; 1.0 mojave; 1.0 cinnamon; 1.0 pied; 1.0 vanilla

Other species: 1.0.3 pacman frogs (sunkissed, super apricot, super blue, super lime green); 0.2 crested gecko; 1.0 hypo hog island boa; 0.1 normal boa; 1.0 rottweiler; 1.0 chihuahua

instagram = lesliep91

Thanks
    Wow I am so sorry that he had both go out at the same time!! The cost is intense but glad you have insurance, and kind of glad they both went at the same time. If one goes its almost 100% that the other will go sometime soon after, so even though it sucks for him now its probably best..

Poor boy though, I cant believe that happened in such a young dog too.. I would be looking at the breeder and make sure you tell them if you got him from a breeder..

Hope he heals as fast as he can and get to live a decent life for many many more years!!

Thanks
    Yes we got him from a semi-local breeder. Gorgeous parents, and every rott they had. None seemed to have hip problems. The breeder guaranteed their hips until 2 years old (didn't find out until after bought that that meant giving you another pup rather than paying for bills). Our vet had never seen a case as young as this. It makes him wonder how his hips are if his ligaments are already this bad. Its so sad...I've had many close loving dogs and this guy is the least deserving...such a kind soul. And still a puppy...
    Females: 0.1 fire; 0.1 sugar; 0.1 GHI; 0.1 pinstripe het desert ghost; 0.1 mojave spider; 0.2 mojave; 0.1 black pewter blast; 0.1 leopard pied; 0.1 champagne; 0.1 pied; 0.1 super pastel lesser; 0.1 pewter; 0.1 spider het pied, 0.1 bumblebee; 0.1 lesser; 0.1 spider; 0.1 normal; 0.3 het pied
    Males: 1.0 het desert ghost; 1.0 pastel pied; 1.0 leopard; 1.0 black pastel; 1.0 enchi; 1.0 mojave; 1.0 cinnamon; 1.0 pied; 1.0 vanilla

Other species: 1.0.3 pacman frogs (sunkissed, super apricot, super blue, super lime green); 0.2 crested gecko; 1.0 hypo hog island boa; 0.1 normal boa; 1.0 rottweiler; 1.0 chihuahua

instagram = lesliep91

Thanks
    Sending many good thoughts his way! Beautiful dog. Glad to see you don't have him overweight either. We've had countless clients come in with dogs that had this issue, but the dogs were overweight, thus adding even MORE stress on their hipe, kness, and joints overall. Weight is such an important thing especially for large breeds. With alot of love and patience he should recover well. As pookie mentioned, better to be done with both at once anyhow.

When is the surgery scheduled for?
    THE place for Blood/Short-Tail Enthusiasts

Thanks

Re: Large breeds

Quote Originally Posted by SnowShredder View Post
    Yes we got him from a semi-local breeder. Gorgeous parents, and every rott they had. None seemed to have hip problems. The breeder guaranteed their hips until 2 years old (didn't find out until after bought that that meant giving you another pup rather than paying for bills). Our vet had never seen a case as young as this. It makes him wonder how his hips are if his ligaments are already this bad. Its so sad...I've had many close loving dogs and this guy is the least deserving...such a kind soul. And still a puppy...
    Well you cant go by word, you didnt get any paperwork about their hip scores etc for the health testing? With breeds prone to issues like that you should always make sure they are health tested, and "going to the vet" doesnt constitute as health testing. Sad when breeders dont properly health test and breed correctly, poor dog has to suffer a less than perfect life now because of it. Not your fault at all though, it happens all to often.
    I would start him on supplements for his joints, glucosamine chondroitin - ester c, also diatomaceous earth in caps and fed will help some, that and keeping him lean and doing low impact exercise (swimming) to keep his muscle tone up will benefit him. I also heard of people doing light drag work with their dogs to strengthen the muscles around the hip and help curve any slipping that might occur otherwise.

Again I hope he recovers as best he can so he can at least enjoy life..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pookie! View Post
    Well you cant go by word, you didnt get any paperwork about their hip scores etc for the health testing? With breeds prone to issues like that you should always make sure they are health tested, and "going to the vet" doesnt constitute as health testing. Sad when breeders dont properly health test and breed correctly, poor dog has to suffer a less than perfect life now because of it. Not your fault at all though, it happens all to often.
    I would start him on supplements for his joints, glucosamine chondroitin - ester c, also diatomaceous earth in caps and fed will help some, that and keeping him lean and doing low impact exercise (swimming) to keep his muscle tone up will benefit him. I also heard of people doing light drag work with their dogs to strengthen the muscles around the hip and help curve any slipping that might occur otherwise.

Again I hope he recovers as best he can so he can at least enjoy life..
    I believe the parents were OFA certified (I think that's the right thing). Champion father, mother was imported from Germany with good lines. I have lots of paperwork but I'm unsure of where they're at since we moved (probably boxed up somewhere). I emailed the breeder to let her know what was going on. I don't need her to do anything I just want her aware. I heard hydro therapy was also a good and safe way to build muscle. Consult with the actual surgeon is tomorrow 8:30 am to decide the path we'll take. Going to schedule surgery asap. 8 week recovery time for each knee which is really unfortunate as its almost summer

instagram = lesliep91

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DNACurtusK View Post
    Sending many good thoughts his way! Beautiful dog. Glad to see you don't have him overweight either. We've had countless clients come in with dogs that had this issue, but the dogs were overweight, thus adding even MORE stress on their hipe, kness, and joints overall. Weight is such an important thing especially for large breeds. With alot of love and patience he should recover well. As pookie mentioned, better to be done with both at once anyhow.

When is the surgery scheduled for?
    Yeah he is a trim 97lbs. He was over 100lb but for some reason he lost a little weight.

instagram = lesliep91

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts
    Good luck with the rehab! Our rescue lab mix blew out a knee two winters ago while he was let out to go potty.. no idea what happened, but can only assume it was related to running/snow/ice/something.

Your quoted cost is right in line, I think he cost us about $3500 for the single knee.

Our dog has recovered exceptionally well and the other knee has never given us any issues, my understanding is that this surgery typically has fantastic results. Good luck!

Thanks
    Consult was this morning. Quoted for $3800 on the low end and $4500 on the high end. Scheduled it for tomorrow morning, and doing the TPLO surgery. Will do his worse knee first (left) and if its healed after 8 weeks we will move onward and do the right knee. I'll post infoxrays/pictures as I get them

instagram = lesliep91

Thanks
    Here is him yesterday at the consult with the surgeon. Such a good boy waiting patiently. Turns out there is a lot of scarring around his left knee, it had to have been a partial tear for quite a while. We had noticed him being sore after the dog park or being very active. But I thought it was normal, he's a lazy dog and I know I get sore after activities since I'm also lazy.

Here is him this morning as I dropped him off for surgery today! The nurse led him away easily, I think he knows they're there to help him, or maybe he remembers he gets lots of treats from vets (thought not today on account of the surgery).

instagram = lesliep91

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast