Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,202

0 members and 3,202 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

First shed possible problems

So I thought I had a one piece shed (I've had humidity at about 65% on her aquarium, and plenty of rough surfaces to rub on) but now that I look at her, it looks like there's still a piece of shed on her head. Her eyes look clear, but I do see little bits of shed on her head, so I can't tell if her eye caps have come off.

The piece of shed that I took out had no head essentially, but I thought it had just come off in smaller bits (which is still possible maybe?)

Anyway, the main shed came off last night and I just noticed the stuff on her head when I tried to handle her a moment ago. She still acted very freaked out. This could of course be cause she's new but she didn't really act this way pre-shed.

What should I do? Am I gonna have to manually take those caps off? I don't think she'll take well to that at the moment, haha.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts
    Did you find any indication that she shed her head? Could you take a picture?

Its probably not a big deal to just leave it until the next shed and have higher humidity then. You could do more harm then good trying to remove stuck eye caps.
    ~Steffe

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: First shed possible problems

Should I not handle her inbetween? I didn't handle her during her shed cycle cause she seemed very stressed out and struck at the hemostats when I fed her.

Seems like that would be a very long time, and she's young and I'm trying to acclimate her to human contact.
    Last edited by dkspftw; 04-14-2013 at 10:28 PM.

Thanks

Handling should be okay. Can you get a picture of her eyes? That way we can determine if she has eye caps. However, until she sheds next, she should still be able to eat and be handled. Just limit your handling sessions and stop completely if she's acting stressed or stops eating.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BHReptiles View Post
    Handling should be okay. Can you get a picture of her eyes? That way we can determine if she has eye caps. However, until she sheds next, she should still be able to eat and be handled. Just limit your handling sessions and stop completely if she's acting stressed or stops eating.

Sadly this is about the best I can get with my camera phone. You can kind of see the line where the shed stops on the back of her head.
    Last edited by dkspftw; 04-15-2013 at 02:16 PM.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Let's try this again, haha.