Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,255

0 members and 3,255 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lamp Dimmers?

Thanks

Lamp Dimmers?

Didn't want to wander to far off topic in another thread so I'll start a new one for this question:

I've got a pair of CHEs on two separate 10g glass tanks. I want to control them with a simple dimmer/rheostat. (I'll also have UTHs controlled with a Thermostat). Any suggestions on a good, cheap one to get that'll handle both CHEs?

Thanks
    Actually, now that I think of it, shouldn't that be the opposite? I mean having the CHEs attached to thermostat since they're maintaining the ambient temp, and hooking the UTHs to a dimmer since they're just going to be providing a constant temperature hot spot.

Thanks

Lamp Dimmers?

The thing with dimmers, from my understanding, is there is not a lot of safety if any, when using a dimmer. One brand of thermostats I like are herpstats from spyder robotics. They have a herpstat 4 for example, this is actually 4 thermostats in one, it comes with four separate probes, one for each heat source, this allows to to program up to four different heat sources at temps of your choosing.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    0.0.1 Normal Ball Python
    1.0 Albino Ball Python
    0.1 Het Snow BCI
    1.0 Lesser Ball Python

4. The Following User Says Thank You to martin82531 For This Useful Post:

ChaosAffect (04-14-2013)

Thanks

Re: Lamp Dimmers?

Quote Originally Posted by martin82531 View Post
    The thing with dimmers, from my understanding, is there is not a lot of safety if any, when using a dimmer. One brand of thermostats I like are herpstats from spyder robotics. They have a herpstat 4 for example, this is actually 4 thermostats in one, it comes with four separate probes, one for each heat source, this allows to to program up to four different heat sources at temps of your choosing.

Yeah, but that's PRICEY. I'm just getting started and trying to get the best setup I can for not a lot of cash.

Am I not right on the dimmer, though? Doesn't it make more sense to set up the hot side sensor on my thermometer like you said over the UTH, then use the dimmer to dial in the UTH to the right heat and leave it there, then use the Thermostat to regulate my CHEs based on the ambient temp of the hot side?

BPnet Veteran KatStoverReptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    You can use a dimmer, but if you have big temperature swings in your room, you're going to have to adjust it. It puts out...say...50% power regardless if what the room temperature is (assuming you have it set to 50%...). I would still use a thermometer in conjunction with it. A thermostat really is the best way to go...but I've used them successfully in the past. Hydrofarm (http://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-MTPR.../dp/B000NZZG3S) makes a relatively inexpensive one that works well. I've also used one from ZooMed (http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-HygroT.../dp/B0019IHK9Q) with success.

Thanks

Lamp Dimmers?

I don't have any real expertise when it comes to dimmers when using them with UTH's sorry. I know it's not recommended, but hopefully someone with more knowledge can chime in on that subject.

Last edited by martin82531; 04-14-2013 at 07:43 PM.
    0.0.1 Normal Ball Python
    1.0 Albino Ball Python
    0.1 Het Snow BCI
    1.0 Lesser Ball Python

8. The Following User Says Thank You to martin82531 For This Useful Post:

ChaosAffect (04-14-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KatStoverReptiles View Post
    You can use a dimmer, but if you have big temperature swings in your room, you're going to have to adjust it. It puts out...say...50% power regardless if what the room temperature is (assuming you have it set to 50%...). I would still use a thermometer in conjunction with it. A thermostat really is the best way to go...but I've used them successfully in the past. Hydrofarm (http://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-MTPR.../dp/B000NZZG3S) makes a relatively inexpensive one that works well. I've also used one from ZooMed (http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-HygroT.../dp/B0019IHK9Q) with success.
    I'm not saying either/or. I've got a thermostat coming, but I don't see how I could run my UTHs and CHEs off of just one. Also, it doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to me to put the UTHs on a thermostat since they're there to provide a hot spot that's pretty much direct heat and shouldn't be affected by changes in room temperature that much. The way I see it, if I use a thermostat to regulate my CHEs to keep the tank at a constant 90ish hot side then keeping the UTHs set with a dimmer at a decent 98 degrees everything should stay pretty regular. Am I missing something big here?

BPnet Veteran KatStoverReptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Are you housing a ball? You want more of a 80ish cool side and a 90ish hot side...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KatStoverReptiles View Post
    Are you housing a ball? You want more of a 80ish cool side and a 90ish hot side...
    There's no way to get a 10 degree gradient in a 10 gallon tank. I'm at 90/86 and 88/81 right now, and that second one is the largest gradient I've seen so far.

Thanks
    So, back to the OP, can anyone tell me why I shouldn't use a dimmer on my UTHs if I've got thermostat regulated CHEs?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast