Quote Originally Posted by Brad91 View Post
Thought so. Those are gorgeous snakes and I'd love to keep one, or maybe even a rattler, but how would I get a permit for one? And just HOW venomous are they? Do you keep anti-venom in the house just in case? I'd do tons of research on a species before I got one of course. Especially a hot. Congrats on the gorgeous new addition though. I'm jealous. Lol.
The legal side of hots varies from place to place. The only permit system I am aware of in the US is in the state of Florida. I know most if not all states have there own legislation ranging from complete bans to almost none. So do your home work for where you live and make sure your even allowed to keep the animals first. I do not stock antivenom in the house, but there is an antivenom bank in ontario so Samir polyvenant is available should the need come up. Anti venom can be almost or even more dangerous than the snake bite its self because many people suffer allergic reactions to the serum and anaphylactic shock can be lethal in just a few minutes if not treated. So antivenom should never be administered out side of a hospital or at least somewhere that a medical professional can monitor your vitals and be able to immediately deal with any complications. How venomous are they? A bite from any size gaboon is a life threatening situation. But a full on bite from an adult could very easily be fatal even with prompt treatment. Definatly not a snake you want to take liberties, or make mistakes with.