Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,308

0 members and 3,308 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Shedded Penises?

Had a weird shed issue with one of my hybrids, so I decided to lend a hand for what I thought was a her......
    "She" had a bit of skin still stuck to her tail, an inch forward from the vent to her tippy tail. So I GENTLY started to pull off the skin, and when all of the skin came off, I inspected it, like usual, to make sure the very tip came off too. WELL to my shock...... two reddish-brown spur like things came off with the shed right beside the vent scale on the shed skin
    I first thought perhaps it was mites or some kind of parasite.... but after inspecting the other twin's last shed, I noticed no reddish-brown spurs near the vent... then I inspected the spurs under bright light and under a magnifying glass, to which I saw no legs and could clearly see that they looked like penises........ which got me thinking, did my "female" just shed it's penises, er, peni? Then I got worried that it's peni got ripped off.......... in which case, I may never be able to breed him, which I fear...... I have been told if all of a snakes' peni got ripped off, it can never breed, not sure it that's true, but I'm worried it could be true....... if they were ripped off, can they grow back and can he still breed? Or is he now rendered retired from breeding? He is young, about to become 2 years old in a few months along with his sister...... so did he actually shed his penis skin? Like puberty? I have no idea....but I figured I'd ask before I worry myself to death.
    ~,*-_` HOLLY `_-*,~

0 Leucistic Texas Ratsnake (Zeejay/ZJ)
    0.1 Triple hybird [Texas Rat, Western Gopher, Louisiana Pine snakes] (Butter)
    1.0 Albino Bubblegum Ratsnake (Peaches)
    0.1 Quintuple hybrid [Texas Rat, Western Gopher, Louisiana Pine, Bubblegum Rat, Everglades Rat snakes](Peanut)
    0.1 Normal Ball Python (Monty)
    0.0.1 HUGE adult normal Ball Python (McMangles)
    1.0 Pastel Ball Python (Benny)
    1.0 Tokay Gecko (Musachi)
    1.0 Knight/ Giant Cuban Anole (Buggy)
    0.0.1 Indonesian Garter Snake (Pascal)
    0.0.2 Golden Geckos (un-named)
    4.2 Turtles (
    Willie,Crash, Sparky, Rio, Chuckie, Tickle)

1.0 Mexican Black Kingsnake (Mopar)
    1.0 Triple hybrid (Bread)
    Rest in Peace little buddies

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 831 Posts
    It should be pretty obvious if what you have is flesh or skin. If it's flesh, let this serve as a lesson why it's best to let snakes deal with stuck shed on their own by giving them tools like a damp towel or moss to rub on if it bothers them. What kind of hybrid is it? That might have some impact.
    Dreamtime Exotics -- Check it out!
    Ball Pythons, Monitors, Saltwater Reef, Fancy Rats, Ferrets

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLang View Post
    It should be pretty obvious if what you have is flesh or skin. If it's flesh, let this serve as a lesson why it's best to let snakes deal with stuck shed on their own by giving them tools like a damp towel or moss to rub on if it bothers them. What kind of hybrid is it? That might have some impact.
    Hard to tell, I kept the shed, and it looks like the spurs shrunk, so I guess it's flesh....... plus it seemed like he got really feisty after I pulled the skin off....... so, guess it is flesh... darn :/
    He is a Western Gopher, Louisiana Pine, Texas Rat hybrid. I hope that this isn't gunna make him infertile due to my "helpfulness" -groan-
    ~,*-_` HOLLY `_-*,~

0.1 Quintuple hybrid [Texas Rat, Western Gopher, Louisiana Pine, Bubblegum Rat, Everglades Rat snakes](Peanut)
    4.2 Turtles (

Thanks
    You ripped a sensitive piece of anatomy off your snake and your reaction is "darn now I can't breed it."

Shouldn't it be "is a vet visit in order?"

Unbelievable...

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MrLang For This Useful Post:

Archimedes (04-10-2013),Capray (04-12-2013),Coleslaw007 (04-10-2013)

Thanks
    I won't be crude, but put yourself in your snake's shoes for a minute. Then call a vet.
    1.1 Ball Pythons
    a) Calliope 0.1, Banana Ball, 2018/19 season, 600g
    b) Geralt 1.0 Chocolate Sable Mojave pos. Trick ball, May 27th 2020

3.2 Cats (Fury, Leviathan, Walter, Chell, Amelie); 2.0 Dogs (Bjorn, Anubis); 2.1 Ferrets (Bran, Tormund, Arya); 0.1 Beardie (Nefertiti); 0.1 Slider Turtle (Species uncertain) (Papaya); 2.0 Hermit Crabs (Tamatoa, Sushi); 0.1 Conure (Mauii); Two Axolotyls (Quetzl and Unnamed); Two Tree Frogs (Pluto and Colossus); One Anole (Zeus); One Crestie (Noferatu); 3.0 Guinea Pigs (Paco, Poncho and Piccolo); 0.1 Pink Toe T (Azula)

Fish:
    1.1 Oscar Cichlids (Rocky 1.0, hx2020, Red Fire, and Bubble 0.1, hx2019, Tiger), 1.1 Convict Cichlids (Hurley and Sloane), 0.1 Strawberry Peacock Cichlid (Comet), Two Plecos, Rubby the Rubbernose Pleco and Trinidad the common Pleco, 2.0 Upside Down Catfish (Poseidon, Neptune), One Red Parrot Cichlid (Firefly), 1.0 Betta Fish (Jenkins),
    2.2 Cherry Barbs ("The Worst"), 1.0 Electric Blue Acara (Goldeneye)

Thanks

Ok, I get it, but no need to be rube about it.

@ MrLang:
    Well jeez! Don't you think I've thought of that?!
    I had to make sure it wasn't just shed skin first.............. which is why I came here! No need to get rude or judge me on trying to seek info from what I hope is well-informed and well-educated herpers.
    Considering that I've fed him, and he ate without hesitation and kept food down, and he isn't showing any signs of discomfort, I'm not even sure it was flesh. It's highly possible, I'm not denying that...... but he isn't showing any pain or aggitation at all. Since this is a "friendly" site, I'd figured I'd just ask here before rushing to a vet I may not even have to go to, and get a hefty bill for making sure he is ok.

Also. Watch what you judge and who you judge, I may not be an "expert", but at least I can give kind and unjudgemental advice, only if I know what I'm talking about anyways. I may not be as educated in herps, but I don't judge the ignorant or misguided just because I don't think they taking the best care of their herps as I would or others would, I simply give them as sound of adive I can without sounding like a a$$hole or like I'm better than they are. I know when I'm in the wrong about things, and you're probably correct about taking him to a vet, but until I know that this is a SERIOUS, LIFE THREATENING (in case of internal bleeding, which he shows no signs of) OR BREEDING THREATENING issue, I'm not. Like that or not.
    (mispelled rude in the heading, also)
    Last edited by valhalha30; 04-10-2013 at 02:33 PM.
    ~,*-_` HOLLY `_-*,~

4.2 Turtles (

Thanks
    You could always re-read what you communicate on the internet to be sensitive to how it will be reasonably perceived.

I'm aware of how I came off. Are you aware of how you came off?

I am glad you are concerned with the health of the animal. I can't agree with your method of determining whether or not a vet visit is in order, but like you said 'like it or not.'

GL. Hopefully someone else will chime in and say it's no big deal.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MrLang For This Useful Post:

valhalha30 (04-10-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 1,596 Posts
    Blog Entries
    First off, nobody is going to be able to diagnose what actually happened over the internet, especially not without pictures. Yes snakes do shed the skin of their hemipenes, I've also seen sperm plugs come out with a shed, females also have very shallow pockets in the same area and they can be packed with 'stuff'. I've occasionally seen blood in the vent area after a shed and no lasting harm was done, I personally do not believe that you would be able to rip off the hemipenes that easily, but there are many different things it could possibly be.

Taking a snake to a vet is always a judgement call, many of them are basically dog and cat doctors and have no real knowledge or experience with reptiles so taking a snake to them is pretty much a waste of time and money. There are some VERY good reptile vets out there that have an interest in the animals but it's best to find them before you need them. In any case there is probably little a Vet could do for you now. What I would do if it were my snake would be to clean it's cage very well, set it up on clean white paper so you can see if there is any bleeding going on and observe it to make sure it's acting normally. Chances are good that it will be just fine.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MarkS For This Useful Post:

valhalha30 (04-10-2013)

Thanks
    I want to apologize to you MrLang, I, agree that I also came off in a bad way too. I'm sorry if I offended you, also.
    Mark, I have him quarantined and checked the paper towels under him, no blood on them or near his vent.... guess he is ok, or she, from the info you have. Odd, and stressful...
    ~,*-_` HOLLY `_-*,~

4.2 Turtles (

13. The Following User Says Thank You to valhalha30 For This Useful Post:

MrLang (04-10-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,979 Times in 5,583 Posts

Shedded Penises?

Quote Originally Posted by valhalha30 View Post
    which got me thinking, did my "female" just shed it's penises, er, peni?

so did he actually shed his penis skin? Like puberty?
    I'd like to address these two things specifically.

1. The plural of penis is definitely penipod.

2. What kind of puberty did you go through...? I'm pretty sure I never lost any skin down there and neither did my snakes lol.
    1.0 normal bp
    mad roaches yo

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Mike41793 For This Useful Post:

eatgoodfood (04-10-2013)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast