Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,359

4 members and 3,355 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Thanks

Re: Teh Dawgs Eatin'

Quote Originally Posted by satomi325 View Post
    Thanks! I really liked the cat photos.

Some owners feed raw. Not all though. I want to say less than half at the very most. That's just in North America though. In Europe, they're all fed a raw diet. There is no kibble there. Plus the majority of European Ferrets are working animals. The need to be healthy and robust. Ferrets in the US are primarily kibble eaters and are companions. They are generally really unhealthy and so much more frail than their European relatives.

It is taboo, but more accepted in recent years.
    The number one ferret expert in the world advocates for a natural whole prey/raw diet, and he's slowly changing everyone's mind through proven science. He's literally like a celebrity in the ferret world, so what he says goes basically.

And a reason people don't like feeding raw is because they don't have the stomach for it.
    They are too grossed out or think it's cruel/nasty to feed prey even though they know it's healthier.
    I'm in two different ferret clubs and they all know whole prey is the healthiest, but only 3 other people other than myself and my boyfriend feed raw whole prey. The rest still feed kibble.
    It really shocks me. Ferret people are some of the most passionate folks I know when it comes to their animals, yet they won't feed a good diet due to their own personal preferences.
    I'm always asking them if they realize their ferrets are obligate carnivores and that it's their responsibility as an owner to feed an appropriate diet.
    Here is a video of her eating her first rat, I had to skin it so she realized it was meat and not a toy. After this one time she needed no prompting and will eat just about anything you put in her bowl

Thats really cool, I am glad more people in all groups of "pet animals" are starting to look at a healthier diet. It all starts with looking at ingredients in your kibble, then buying better kibbles and learning more, then you end up either doing a raw whole food diet or a home cooked diet lol its pretty cool how the idea on feeding animals cereal is starting to become kind of "ehh do I wanna do that..?"

Well thats just a sorry excuse, I am on a forum and I see people who are vegetarian/vegan and they feed their dogs a raw diet lol so anyone saying "they dont have the stomach" is just a sissy.

Oh and this is by far my favorite picture lol

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pookie! For This Useful Post:

Coleslaw007 (04-12-2013),Kodieh (04-11-2013),satomi325 (04-11-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pookie! View Post
    Here is a video of her eating her first rat, I had to skin it so she realized it was meat and not a toy. After this one time she needed no prompting and will eat just about anything you put in her bowl

Thats really cool, I am glad more people in all groups of "pet animals" are starting to look at a healthier diet. It all starts with looking at ingredients in your kibble, then buying better kibbles and learning more, then you end up either doing a raw whole food diet or a home cooked diet lol its pretty cool how the idea on feeding animals cereal is starting to become kind of "ehh do I wanna do that..?"

Well thats just a sorry excuse, I am on a forum and I see people who are vegetarian/vegan and they feed their dogs a raw diet lol so anyone saying "they dont have the stomach" is just a sissy.

Oh and this is by far my favorite picture lol
    I can't seem to watch your video.
    I've had to open up a few feeders for newbies before so they could taste the meat.

But yeah. I think it's a bad excuse too.
    And speaking about vegan, I've seen vegan dog/cat/ferret food before and I was just so disgusted.
    http://www.evolutiondietstore.com/ma...2.qscstrfrnt01

It's so nasty and horrid.
    It is probably one of the most unhealthy diets out there for a carnivore. It is made purely out of fiber and grains. No fat or animal protein at all!
    This company is so misinformed. I emailed them about the nutritional needs(i.e. high protein) and biological function of ferrets, and they responded with much hostility. They ignored my email stating they wanted concrete clinical data proving a non protein diet was unhealthy for ferrets. And putting aside the unprofessional and vulgar comments made, they claimed their food was so healthy, the ferrets who ate this diet lived 13.5 years. They also projected the idea that ferrets(and any other carnivorous animal/person) do not need protein...

A ferret will starve them self on this diet. They are obligate carnivores. More meat protein the better.

This is their online statement:

Meaty flavor without the meat! Because our food is concentrated, you may feed your pet 30% less food. Your Dog/Ferret/Cat will also have 30% less droppings and better long term health. Additionally, expect no bad breath and no body odor attributable to bacteria, viruses, molds and fungi found in animal meal and animal by products. Evolution can say this with absolute certainty because we do not use any animal byproduct ingredients in any of our foods. 100% Vegan!
    No WAY! All that BS will make a ferret poop more. It will definitely increase the odor of a ferret as well.

A few of their first ingredients:

Whole Non-GMO Oats, Corn Gluten Meal, Soybean Meal, Soybean Oil, Carrots, Dried Tomato Pomace, Dried Potato Product, Dried Molasses, Deflourinated Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Salt, Nutritional Yeast, Arginine, DL-Methionine, Kelp Meal, Taurine, Garlic, Enzyme Bromelain from Pineapple Stem and Fruit, Enzyme Papain from Papaya,
    Last edited by satomi325; 04-11-2013 at 11:55 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by satomi325 View Post
    I can't seem to watch your video.
    I've had to open up a few feeders for newbies before so they could taste the meat.

But yeah. I think it's a bad excuse too.
    And speaking about vegan, I've seen vegan dog/cat/ferret food before and I was just so disgusted.
    http://www.evolutiondietstore.com/ma...2.qscstrfrnt01

It's so nasty and horrid.
    It is probably one of the most unhealthy diets out there for a carnivore. It is made purely out of fiber and grains. No fat or protein at all!
    This company is so misinformed. I emailed them about the nutritional needs(i.e. high protein) and biological function of ferrets, and they responded with much hostility. They ignored my email stating they wanted concrete clinical data proving a non protein diet was unhealthy for ferrets. And putting aside the unprofessional and vulgar comments made, they claimed their food was so healthy, the ferrets who ate this diet lived 13.5 years. They also projected the idea that ferrets(and any other carnivorous animal/person) do not need protein...

A ferret will starve them self on this diet. They are obligate carnivores. More protein the better.

This is their online statement:

No WAY! All that BS will make a ferret poop more. It will definitely increase the odor of a ferret as well.
    Here is a direct link
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...9320701&type=3

Oh have you seen the vegan sausages for snakes!! Lol those people are crazy, and a cat on a vegan diet is gonna die.. thats so insane what people think an animal needs.. I would love to see some animals that are on that diet, I bet they look atrocious!

Those people are crazy, I mean sure people dont need quite as much animal protein as a dog or cat but we do need some, its not gonna adversely effect us and its good for us in normal amounts, not the crazy amounts most people eat but you know what I mean. Now a dog or cat, they are true carnivores and NEED that animal protein, and taking it completely out of their diets is so unhealthy it boggles my mind. Someone on a FB page was trying to say because "they were a vet tech" that dogs werent carnivores and were omnivores.. just because they eat the guts of prey animals.. and I was called a troll after posting a picture of a true omnivores (a bear) teeth next to a dogs, and then a dogs next to a cats, which they said were the only true carnivores out of the two... if you have any sense you see that a dog and a cats teeth are almost identical and neither look at all like a bears... people are just so dense sometimes and they run with their 6 month schooling on cleaning teeth and think they can make up and change the idea that a dog isnt a carnivore because "they dont like it, and they eat animal guts so they must be omnivore!"

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pookie! For This Useful Post:

DNACurtusK (04-13-2013),satomi325 (04-12-2013)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234