Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,181

1 members and 3,180 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: odd spider

Thanks

Re: odd spider

I've been mostly reading this thread and trying to come up with my own opinions.

I can see both sides of this argument. At first glance, it does look like a normal. The color is is way off for a spider. I've seen some dark spiders, but not that dark. However, the head stamp does faintly resemble a spider and I do some some spider webbing (although not much at all).

I don't know if I would jump out and say that was 100% a spider, but I definitely can see the potential (just like you aren't sure if it's a yellowbelly so you sell it as a possible yellowbelly). Same rules apply here. I would call this snake a possible spider.

Like others have said, the only true way to determine if it is without a doubt a spider is to breed it to a normal. However, even with this option you run the risk of producing low quality spiders if this is truly a spider. Would I breed it? Personally: No. I would much rather spend my money on a spider that is a killer example of the morph rather than waste my time/money on something that might be a spider. Spider is one of those morphs that is usually very, very obvious and you can tell an animal has spider in it from a mile away. With this snake, it's questionable. But like everyone else said, pictures of mom and dad may help to determine if it's not only a spider, but if there is something else going on that might distort the patter.

Good luck with your snake!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BHReptiles For This Useful Post:

kdreptiles (04-09-2013)

Thanks
    I have to say that at first glance, I was thinking "Spider? How do you figure that's a spider?" but after reading through everything and looking more closely at the pics, I have to admit there may be something genetic there. Then again, with the variance in normals and the fact that everything on a snake's appearance is genetic in some way, shape, or form, then it can be a spider that's affected by an unknown gene brought in by the 'normal' parent. Despite the arguing, etc. there is some very good info here and I thank those who have been up for debating this nicely.
    Ball Pythons: 1.1 Pastave (Regulus and Ceti), 0.1 Albino (Aria), 0.1 Lesser (Daenerys), 0.1 Mojave (Sangria), 1.0 Enchi Pastel (Declan), 0.1 Normal (Sydney), 1.0 Lesser pos. het Clown/Pied (Loki), 1.0 het Clown pos. het lavender albino (Liam), 0.2 het Clown (Cara and Milly)

Corn Snakes: 1.0 Blizzard (Flurry)

Other: 0.1 Bearded Dragon (Faranth), 0.1 Russian Tortoise (Henry), 1.1 Dogs (Floppy and Lucy), 2.1 Cats (Jack, Brando, and Godiva), 1 Very Understanding Husband

Thanks
    The thing that's messing with me is the color. Other than that I'd say this is a spider. If not, the spider parent had a big influence on this animal.

Thanks

spider-
    Never show all or tell all. Mystery is one of life's pleasures.

Owns a tastefully concocted assortment of high quality specimens

haters be hatin

Thanks
    Thanked 1,432 Times in 920 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by majorleaguereptiles View Post
    Now me calling you a genius was sarcastic, so now that you could say is an attack on your intelligence.
    That's quite alright, you've already proved yourself to be lacking in integrity and composure, while simultaneously proving that you're a tantrum throwing hissy fit waiting to happen.

Here's what I pictured, you're slamming your fists on the keyboard screaming "someone is wrong on the Internet!". But, that's just me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy SIII using Tapatalk 2

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Kodieh For This Useful Post:

I-KandyReptiles (04-09-2013)

BPnet Veteran majorleaguereptiles's Avatar
    Thanks

odd spider

Quote Originally Posted by Kodieh View Post
    That's quite alright, you've already proved yourself to be lacking in integrity and composure, while simultaneously proving that you're a tantrum throwing hissy fit waiting to happen.

Here's what I pictured, you're slamming your fists on the keyboard screaming "someone is wrong on the Internet!". But, that's just me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy SIII using Tapatalk 2
    Totally. You win.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to majorleaguereptiles For This Useful Post:

Kodieh (04-08-2013)

BPnet Senior Member SquamishSerpents's Avatar
    Thanks
    K guys, seriously, before the mods come in. GIVE IT UP, neither of you know for a fact what this snake is and now you're just getting into pissing matches about nothing. Fighting over grammar and spelling and otherwise picking each other to bits is like fighting somebody over what kind of sneakers they wear...COMPLETELY irrelevant to the thread. If you don't like somebody's demeanor on the forum...ignore them.

Only the OP will know what the snake is, if they choose to test breed it.

Back to the real topic though,

In the second photo the OP posted, the sides (bottom of the alien heads) remind me of the sides of my enchi male just a tiny bit.
    Last edited by SquamishSerpents; 04-08-2013 at 10:22 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to SquamishSerpents For This Useful Post:

I-KandyReptiles (04-09-2013)

Thanks

Ok I just got back on and yes I am going to breed it to a normal to see what is going on...and I do know what a spider looks like as I have had a few...but I do have a pic of its sibling sister I bought that was spider...I will post pics of the sibling and more of him as well...also I do have a real crazy pattern normal that I consider a normal until proven otherwise...I never consider anything a morph unless its proven or known...

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mrhappytreats4u For This Useful Post:

liv (04-08-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 625 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mrhappytreats4u View Post
    Ok I just got back on and yes I am going to breed it to a normal to see what is going on...and I do know what a spider looks like as I have had a few...but I do have a pic of its sibling sister I bought that was spider...I will post pics of the sibling and more of him as well...also I do have a real crazy pattern normal that I consider a normal until proven otherwise...I never consider anything a morph unless its proven or known...
    Hurry up with those pictures or there's going to be a lynching in this thread!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,287 Times in 921 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by angllady2 View Post
    I don't know to be honest. I have a really nice normal female who looks an awful lot like a spider in many ways, that is why I bred a spider to her, to make some really cool spider babies.

This snake......I just can't say. My knee jerk reaction is to call it a normal, but something is a little....off about it I guess you'd say.

I don't see enough that I can say with confidence it is a spider, but that doesn't mean it's not possibly one. Someone here posted pictures of a yellowbelly they got. I think there is something else going on with it, but I don't know for sure. Everyone here sees the yellowbelly, but I still think there is something else going on. I don't know what, and I don't know for sure if I could explain why I think there is, but I do.

So yes, it is possible this is a spider. I've never seen one exactly like this, but I've seen some with the alien heads before and you could tell they were spiders. The back pattern is a bit wide for a spider, but that doesn't mean it's not a spider. The head for me is the hard part, because every spider or spider cross I've seen has a funky head pattern. But the pictures Brant has the head pattern isn't there, so you are back where you started from.

It could indeed be a low expression spider. And as to not breeding it, well I think that would depend on what you bred it to. Personally, I think it could make some sick spider clowns or spider enchis, because the pattern is already there for it. Now, to make more spiders or even bumblebees I don't think I'd use it. But depending on the combo, there is potential there I think.

If it's merely a pet, well then who cares what it looks like? Ugly or beautiful, it's all subjective, and it doesn't matter two figs as far as personality and ability to be a cherished pet.

Gale
    Amen sister!!!!
    ALL THAT SLITHERS - Ball Python aficionado/keeper
    breeder of African soft fur Rats. Keeper of other small exotic mammals.
    10 sugar gliders

2 tenrecs
    5 jumping spiders
    paludarium with fish
    Brisingr the albino
    Snowy the BEL
    Piglet the albino conda hognose

FINALLY got my BEL,no longer breeding snakes. married to mechnut450..

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast