Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,321

4 members and 3,317 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: odd spider

BPnet Senior Member SquamishSerpents's Avatar
    Thanks

odd spider

I will believe it's a spider when I see spider babies. However if it is a spider, it will produce more crappy looking spider babies

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SquamishSerpents For This Useful Post:

hypnotixdmp (04-09-2013),interloc (04-08-2013)

Thanks

odd spider

Quote Originally Posted by SquamishSerpents View Post
    I will believe it's a spider when I see spider babies. However if it is a spider, it will produce more crappy looking spider babies
    Canadians know wuddup!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to interloc For This Useful Post:

Maccabee (01-12-2015)

BPnet Veteran majorleaguereptiles's Avatar
    Thanks

odd spider

I didn't want to say it was a great example. I understand people don't like supporting ugly examples and low end breeding these days, I'm in agreement.

But if I see spider, than I see spider, and I'll say that. No matter how ugly or trashy others may think it looks, I actually get interested in different looking animals, so I actually seek them out, follow them and study them. This will be one of those to add to my brain when it proves, or doesn't prove in your evaluation. I think it's FUN!

Thanks

odd spider

Quote Originally Posted by peterneish View Post
    Does this sound a little patronising?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Its "patronizing" and it was argued that my spider combos were normals, so I stated that it was already proven. Which obviously is the case, hence why Im adamantly sharing. I wasn't just bringing information from thin air. So to argue it, I would hope you have your chips lined up.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

Re: odd spider

Isn't it more likely that this is a normal influenced by the spider pattern? I can't remember where but I've definitely seen clutch pictures with spiders and normals, and the normals have a spider-like pattern, but that doesn't mean its a spider.

If this was from a spider x normal, it is just as likely to be normal as it is to be a spider. 50%.

One guy saying it is a spider is not enough to say for certain that it is. I don't care how many snakes you have looked at. The only way to know would be to breed it...and honestly, I wouldn't. What's the point. There are plenty of great spiders out there. If it is a spider, it will likely produce more crappy spiders. If its a normal, well then you just get even more normals. I don't see the positive here.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    ~Steffe

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kaorte For This Useful Post:

interloc (04-08-2013),satomi325 (04-09-2013)

Thanks

odd spider

Quote Originally Posted by majorleaguereptiles View Post
    Its "patronizing" and it was argued that my spider combos were normals, so I stated that it was already proven. Which obviously is the case, hence why Im adamantly sharing. I wasn't just bringing information from thin air. So to argue it, I would hope you have your chips lined up.
    Allelic? Really? So in your "vast" experience when you bred a spider Blackhead to any other snake did you get ANY normals? If so not Allelic. Easy to figure out.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,230 Times in 689 Posts

RoseyReps,
    It's the completely solid white scale. Thats a genetic trait. and White means White, not ivory, or yellow, or 1/2 white, and typically it stands out from it's surrounding scales. Like it shouldn't be there.... if that makes sense. My eyes see it, but again I closely evaluate 40,000 snakes a year, so thats my own experience. I think the next closest person in the world might see around 12,000? There is a reason why many of the largest breeders from Ralph Davis to Ben Renick ask me, what I see in something they mak, or to help piece a puzzle together, because I've actually proven to be good at it time and time again. Something obviously people on BP.net don't appreciate like Ralph or Ben would.

The OP really needs to show a belly pic. I think that would help give some perspective.

And my name is Brant, not Brent
    Understood.

I know you have extensive knowledge on imports and ID'ing subtle differences. Don't you think it is better for people to question than to willing take anyone's opinion without thought? Rather, take many into consideration and form your own?
    Just because you are being questioned on the reasoning "why" doesn't mean anyone thinks you don't have the eye for it, or are not experienced enough etc. It means they are still thinking for themselves, and want to know how exactly you formed your conclusions (again, speaking as "us" but I cannot claim everyone thinks the way I do...so who the hell knows)

I am still not seeing spider, but that is my opinion, and perhaps my lack of experience. I see your point about the white scales, and the difference between them and the speckling of my normals, I guess to me that just isn't enough to say 100% spider. I hope I'm wrong, for the OPs sake. But then again, I kinda hope I'm not. Because if that were my snake, I would hope it was a cool normal rather than possibly the lowest quality spider ever. But alas, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Thanks

odd spider

Who was I arguing with? I was simply stating your post seemed patronising. And it's spelt with an s in the uk, which is where I live, was born, grew up and was educated. Your correction was again, patronising, with an s!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered User Quantum Constrictors's Avatar
    Thanks
    That is indubitably a normal. No ifs and or butts.

I do concur with the majority of the people here and it is undoubtedly a normal.

If that is a spider, and thats a big IF. I do have to say so my self that it is one of the ugliest spiders out there that should not be bred and only kept as a pet.

There is no fighting. Hands down. That right there is a normal.
    - Joey

No snakes anymore!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Quantum Constrictors For This Useful Post:

interloc (04-08-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by interloc View Post
    Allelic? Really? So in your "vast" experience when you bred a spider Blackhead to any other snake did you get ANY normals? If so not Allelic. Easy to figure out.
    Thanks for the tips in figuring out allelic genetics...

In 3 generations of breedings a blackhead spider has not made any normals, only blackheads and spiders. So yes, that would constitute being allelic. This was from a female, 3 years in a row, from another breeder. So I'd like to breed my male this year and figure out myself.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast