Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,272

0 members and 3,272 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: odd spider

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts
    I think it might just be a very very low quality spider. When I look for spiders, I look for very high white sides, no dots, and a nice bright gold colored spine.

This has almost none of these characteristics.
    ~Steffe

BPnet Senior Member SquamishSerpents's Avatar
    Thanks

odd spider

Ill jump on the "not a spider" bandwagon for sure

BPnet Senior Member SquamishSerpents's Avatar
    Thanks

odd spider

Both spiders, both belong to me. 2nd i produced and is het. Albino. the first is the seconds dad.

Yours has very normal coloration and no speckling on the sides. I would think it is possible for a baby to inherit pattern traits of the parent with ouch actually getting the gene.

I hope you didn't pay spider price for that snake. Even if it WERE a spider, it's definitely not worthy of breeding. Though I just think its a sorta funky normal

BPnet Veteran majorleaguereptiles's Avatar
    Thanks

odd spider

I love the "crazy looking normal" oxymoron in the ball python world. Maybe if its "crazy looking" maybe its not "normal". Every mutation was once a "crazy looking normal". Obviously there are normal ball pythons that take on a crazy appearance due to incubation or developmental problems, but it's still important to closely analyze what you are seeing that is "crazy looking" and determine what is the CAUSE. In this case it's the spider gene.

I've seen spider hets for other genes that greatly diminish the white and pattern. I've seen het tristripe really change the patterning on spiders. As for what is effecting this spider is uncertain, and yes it doesn't look like a great example, but I absolutely see the spider gene there. And for me its actually obvious.

Thanks
    I would say breeding trials are definitely a must with this one. If you breed to a straight normal and get Spider offspring...well...then that is a seriously low quality Spider, IMO. If you breed and get only Normals, then you may have been overcharged for a Normal. As much as I hate to say it...it really doesn't look like a Spider to me either, but I am definitely NOT an expert and could be seriously wrong. If it were me, I'd call that a Dinker possible Spider, because if it's not a Spider...that wacky pattern would be awesome if it were genetic.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to PyramidPythons For This Useful Post:

Archimedes (04-08-2013)

Thanks

odd spider

No white on the sides? I must be seeing things. Am I too closely analyzing this? Absolutely, that's why I'm really good at it too. Is this probably one of the lowest grade spiders, yes. But that does not change the fact it has the spider gene.

I go through 40,000 import ball pythons a year, so I see a lot of normals and morphs and everything in between. Show me a normal with white speckling in the pattern and I'd be interested. And I said "in the pattern". Not in the flames or outside the pattern. In the pattern, like a spider and calico do...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to majorleaguereptiles For This Useful Post:

RedDragonMorphs (04-08-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,432 Times in 920 Posts

Re: odd spider

Quote Originally Posted by majorleaguereptiles View Post
    I love the "crazy looking normal" oxymoron in the ball python world. Maybe if its "crazy looking" maybe its not "normal". Every mutation was once a "crazy looking normal". Obviously there are normal ball pythons that take on a crazy appearance due to incubation or developmental problems, but it's still important to closely analyze what you are seeing that is "crazy looking" and determine what is the CAUSE. In this case it's the spider gene.

I've seen spider hets for other genes that greatly diminish the white and pattern. I've seen het tristripe really change the patterning on spiders. As for what is effecting this spider is uncertain, and yes it doesn't look like a great example, but I absolutely see the spider gene there. And for me its actually obvious.
    Crazy looking is a nice way to say you have a normal, feel better about paying too much.

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy SIII using Tapatalk 2

Thanks

odd spider

Quote Originally Posted by Kodieh View Post
    Crazy looking is a nice way to say you have a normal, feel better about paying too much.

Heh I see what you're saying, but this is just an ugly spider. Because its low expression doesn't change the fact it's a spider is all I'm saying.

I would have probably throw this in my wholesale stock, but these days I'm wholeselling outstanding male spiders for $60.... Petco sells normals for $70, so it's almost like selling normals these days anyway.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,432 Times in 920 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by majorleaguereptiles View Post
    Heh I see what you're saying, but this is just an ugly spider. Because its low expression doesn't change the fact it's a spider is all I'm saying.

I would have probably throw this in my wholesale stock, but these days I'm wholeselling outstanding male spiders for $60.... Petco sells normals for $70, so it's almost like selling normals these days anyway.
    For me a breeding that threw spiders from the in question animal would be needed to change my mind. But, I'm a skeptic and question everything.

Thanks

Blackhead Spider... yes but your typical base morph Spider that most people think about when mentioned, no.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast