Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,270

1 members and 3,269 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Scott L. (28)

» Stats

Members: 75,130
Threads: 248,574
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RelentlessPanda

Thread: Humidity?

Thanks

Humidity?

Alright, a few days ago I got my first snake, and he's been alright. He seems to have been stressed out over the past 2 - 3 days, but I think this is mainly down to the temps, which I have now sorted out, and due to the fact that I've tried to feed it, which is a bad mistake on my part. The hot side stays at a constant 27 - 29 degress, and never goes over 29.5, and the cold side never goes over 22 and mainly stays around 19 - 20.

I using the large Exo Terra Faun, and I have a waterbowl in there that is adequate size for him to bath it. I'm using aspen as bedding.

Now, my question is, is humidity really important in Balls? I live in Ireland, which isn't particularly hot in anyway, so I'm guessing the air has a lot of water in it anyway? Should I be investing in a air reader for humidity? I've read, that a water bowl big enough for him to soak in is more than enough to raise humidity?

Thanks.

Thanks

Re: Humidity?

Humidity is important. General rule of thumb is 50%-60% when not in shed and 70%+ when in shed. If humidity is too low, especially during shed, they can have really bad sheds that come off in pieces...

Burmese Pythons: 1.0 Albino [George]

Reticulated Pythons: 1.0 White Phase [Zeus]

Ball Pythons:
    0.1 Spider [Isis] | 0.2 Normal [Athena/Pandora]

Carpet Pythons: 0.1 Jungle [Pris]

Colombian BCI: 1.0 Crimson/Pastel [Pablo] | 1.0 Hypo Salmon [Escobar] | 0.1 Pastel [Haven]

Black Rat Snakes: 0.1 Albino [Malachi]

Thanks
    So, I should get a humidity gauge? Alright, I'll order one online soon. I think he's coming up too shed soon, so when he does, I'll just spray his cage down a few times a day.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    I'd actually say it is not critical at all. Temps are, humidity not so much. I don't like seeing below 30% or over 70%. I have perfect sheds as long as the RH is not below 53%. Hygrometers are temperamental products. Digital ones should be kept perfect clean and away from dirt and dust they usually do not stay accurate (if they started that way) long typically they start to read high.

I prefer analogue ones. Hair ones are very fragile they should be avoided. The things to look for are METAL face cards (NO paper or card) and a calibration screw. The ability to calibrate the hygrometer means it can accurately be checked and corrected as needed. Something like this,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Western-Digi...032649&sr=8-18

Thanks

Re: Humidity?

Quote Originally Posted by Mhyles View Post
    So, I should get a humidity gauge? Alright, I'll order one online soon. I think he's coming up too shed soon, so when he does, I'll just spray his cage down a few times a day.
    You can get an accurite therm. at Walmart for 12.00 and it has humidity and two temps it is very good.

1.1 pastels, 1.0 lesser, 0.1 het blurry, 0.1 spider, 1.1 norm. 0.1 dinker,
    0.3 normal 1.1 pastels 0.1 spider 1.0 fire 1.0 lesser 1.0ringer 0.1RTB 1.0 Savannah monitor.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    The specs on accurites is +/- 4ºF and +/- 10% RH I am not sure I would say good.