Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,293

3 members and 3,290 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Quick ones of Krampus

Quote Originally Posted by mumps View Post
    A Vision for a V. salvator is a total waste of money. Even an outdoor shed is going to be too small for that animal.

16 x 8 x 6 would be okay, bigger if possible.

Did you even know what you were buying when you purchased it???

Chris

It wont be a waste of money really, I mean if we planned on only using it for him then yeah, but we have a Colombian that would love to move up to a large Vision in a few years.. so its not really a big deal.

Yep I did, and an outdoor shed will not be to small. This isnt some HomeDepot parking lot shed I am talking about. We will be building one specifically for him.

We are going to be buying a new house, with more land, we are looking to have 20 something dogs so a lot of area, enough to build him a huge enclosure with a pond.

Thanks
    You all are acting like this animal is in piss poor condition, and that he is neglected, starved, abused, improperly housed etc when he isnt. You all seem to also think that he will be kept in that small tank for the remainder of his life lol come on now..

Thanks
    Thanked 1,789 Times in 1,214 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pookie! View Post
    You all are acting like this animal is in piss poor condition, and that he is neglected, starved, abused, improperly housed etc when he isnt. You all seem to also think that he will be kept in that small tank for the remainder of his life lol come on now..
    Don't listen to her, guys, she beats him and calls him mean names like "stupid dumb poop face," and tells him he's ugly and has funny looking scales.

Sent from microwave via Tapatalk ll
    Balls:
    *0.1 Mojave *0.1 Pinstripe *0.1 Bumblebee *1.0 Super pastel butter *1.0 Mojave orange ghost *0.3 100% het orange ghosts *0.1 Pastel 50% het orange ghost *1.1 PE Lemonback fires *1.0 Fire *0.1 Pastel *1.0 Albino *0.1 Spider 100% het albino
    Other critters:
    *1.0 Anery motley corn *G. rosea tarantula *G. pulchripes *P. metallica *0.0.2 A. versicolor *C. cyaneopubescens *A. geniculata *B. smithi *B. boehmei *Nhandu chromatus *H. maculata *C. marshalli *1.0 Australian shepherd mix

Thanks
    ..well, he does...

Thanks

Why is it any of your business why I purchased him? I cannot start building a large enclosure specifically for him until the end of the year, when I move into a new house, I will be getting a new tank/vision for him before then.
    You post on a public forum dedicated to animal lovers and are shocked when you are criticized for your poor care and planning for the animal? Most of us spend years working to prevent exactly what you went and did. If you feed that animal properly, heat it properly, and provide the proper humidity- you won't be able to buy a vision large enough for the animal to fit in by years end...

A Vision for a V. salvator is a total waste of money. Even an outdoor shed is going to be too small for that animal.

16 x 8 x 6 would be okay, bigger if possible.

Did you even know what you were buying when you purchased it???

Chris
    This^ A vision is 100% GARBAGE for raising a monitor. You're better off with almost anything else.

It wont be a waste of money really, I mean if we planned on only using it for him then yeah, but we have a Colombian that would love to move up to a large Vision in a few years.. so its not really a big deal.

Yep I did, and an outdoor shed will not be to small. This isnt some HomeDepot parking lot shed I am talking about. We will be building one specifically for him.

We are going to be buying a new house, with more land, we are looking to have 20 something dogs so a lot of area, enough to build him a huge enclosure with a pond.
    Then buy the vision for the snake, and get a real cage for the varanid? Seems pretty simple rather than making a snake cage work for a monitor. LOL

It's in a fish tank, with not enough substrate to burrow, improper substrate, horribly housed, I'd bet on a screen top and not enough heat or humidity. Yeah, sounds like a good case of neglect to me.

OP you aren't going to like what I'm going to tell you, but I'll tell you anyway- because I care more about that varanid than your ego or pride.

1. A fish tank is HORRIBLE as caging for a monitor. Open sides = stress. Not enough height to offer a solid substrate to burrow= dehydration. Screen top with a heat lamp = poor basking temps, heat escaping, and humidity escaping. Oh, lets not mention the fact the cage you are using NOW is not large enough for that monitor. There is ZERO fish tanks sold commercially large enough to be used for a monitor- let alone care for it properly. Fish tanks are made for... YOU GUESSED IT! Fish!

2. Why not wait to buy an animal when you have the cage. Why did you NEED to buy it now? If you can't afford/have the room/know about the animal to be able to take care of it now- DON'T BUY IT AND WAIT. Water monitors aren't going to be non existent by the end of the year in fact they probably will come down in price! You could have saved money and done the proper research and provided the proper cage at the same time!!!

3. Visions are horrible for a monitor. Where are you going to put the substrate to burrow so he can properly thermoregulate? Where are the proper basking points? No a heat mat and a light from pet co is not enough. I use 3-4 halogens per cage to provide proper basking temps. His surface temp should 120-140. My Varanus niloticus uses surface temps all the way up to 160. You think you can provide a proper gradient in a vision. LOL!

4. Do you have any idea how large this animal will get at it's full size? You're talking about an animal that should hit 5-6 foot by years end if fed/taken care of properly Yet you want to stick it in a vision (likely a 600 model) which will provide just enough length to.. lay there and do nothing.

Congrats on taking the monitor and putting it into a monitor jerky machine (fish tank), planning to put it into a completely sub par cage, and not being able to provide for an animal you plan to care for.

You want to know why we are mad and think you need to rehome it/return it/prepare for it properly? You're cutting your monitors life short and you're too high and mighty to think about the life you've decided to commit to care for, and are more worried about your precious ego than the life of an animal.

Disgusting.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dehlol For This Useful Post:

brobertson (04-14-2013),jbean7916 (04-14-2013),mumps (04-25-2013),wolfy-hound (04-25-2013)

Thanks
    Dehlol, thank you!!!

I have not been frequenting this forum as much as I used to because of the abundance of keepers like this. This thread was started in the hopes of getting "Way cool!!", "That's badass!!" and "You're awesome!!" replies. The OP didn't know they were killing their pet because no research was done, at least no more than asking the store clerk what it needed.

Another wonderful animal doomed. It's a shame, that people with less intelligence than their pet are allowed to own these magnificent creatures. I used to waste hours writing out explanations and advice, only to be told that I didn't know what I was talking about, as it did not sound like what the pet store guy said...

It's nice to see another dedicated varanophile here (there are a few of us, but I think we're becoming scarce...).

Chris
    "That cute little lizard in the pet shop will, in a few short years, become an enormous, ferocious carnivore; capable of breaking the family cat's neck in a single snap and swallowing it whole." - Daniel Bennett

passion.herp
    passionherp.com
    info@passionherp.com
    facebook.com/passion.herp

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mumps For This Useful Post:

wolfy-hound (04-25-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts
    Instead of looking for a cheap Vision cage that won't be a proper cage, why not look at the ideas for building the caging out of a big water trough? It won't take up TOO much space, it will allow for proper dirt and substrate so it can dig and have proper humidity and will be sturdy enough to last for many years for other pets, when the monitor outgrows it.

A typical water trough cage might keep it until the year is up when you say you'll be moving and building the outside enclosure.

Because tanks are terrible, visions are terrible. Monitors are tough and will refuse to show any issues, but they can die from issues they end up with from being kept poorly to begin with. Kind of like if someone keeps a pet without enough water for a long time, and then a good keeper takes it and makes sure it has plenty of water all the time. It can still end up dying from kidney issues that developed when it didn't get what it needed, even though at the time of death, it was being cared for properly. "Making do" with a monitor lizard can end up killing it.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Thanks

Dehlol, thank you!!!

I have not been frequenting this forum as much as I used to because of the abundance of keepers like this. This thread was started in the hopes of getting "Way cool!!", "That's badass!!" and "You're awesome!!" replies. The OP didn't know they were killing their pet because no research was done, at least no more than asking the store clerk what it needed.

Another wonderful animal doomed. It's a shame, that people with less intelligence than their pet are allowed to own these magnificent creatures. I used to waste hours writing out explanations and advice, only to be told that I didn't know what I was talking about, as it did not sound like what the pet store guy said...

It's nice to see another dedicated varanophile here (there are a few of us, but I think we're becoming scarce...).

Chris
    I got into keeping retics lately- and sadly I find similar problems with large constrictors..... This board has gone a little rampant from when I used to read it and people would step in and tell people to knock their crap off.

It's sad, but the way snake keeping- specifically bps/small colubirds in racks have destroyed so much of the keeping aspect of this hobby. It takes no keeping ability, talent, or knowledge to buy some bps, a rack, and throw them together after a year. These people start to think they can produce animals and thus know anything and decide "man, I'm a reptile pro now i can keep a monitor." It's amazing how many people at expos I turn away from monitors by telling them the following:

1. One of my monitor cages uses more electricity and produces more heat than a rack of bps.
    2. My nile eats more rats in a month than a BP will eat in a year.
    3. Monitors do not always "become tame pets" and "force handling will get you the opposite result of a tame animal"....
    4. A typical pet store nile/sav/water will get 4-5 foot easily in the first year if house properly...

It's astounding how few people actually give a damn about the life they decide to purchase at a show when "it looks so awesome!". It's like it's a damn toy not a living breathing animal.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dehlol View Post
    I got into keeping retics lately- and sadly I find similar problems with large constrictors..... This board has gone a little rampant from when I used to read it and people would step in and tell people to knock their crap off.

It's sad, but the way snake keeping- specifically bps/small colubirds in racks have destroyed so much of the keeping aspect of this hobby. It takes no keeping ability, talent, or knowledge to buy some bps, a rack, and throw them together after a year. These people start to think they can produce animals and thus know anything and decide "man, I'm a reptile pro now i can keep a monitor." It's amazing how many people at expos I turn away from monitors by telling them the following:

1. One of my monitor cages uses more electricity and produces more heat than a rack of bps.
    2. My nile eats more rats in a month than a BP will eat in a year.
    3. Monitors do not always "become tame pets" and "force handling will get you the opposite result of a tame animal"....
    4. A typical pet store nile/sav/water will get 4-5 foot easily in the first year if house properly...

It's astounding how few people actually give a damn about the life they decide to purchase at a show when "it looks so awesome!". It's like it's a damn toy not a living breathing animal.
    Man, do I hear ya!!

I have told numerous people that what my Ornate ate in the first two years could keep a PAIR of bps going for 14 years... if they never skipped a meal.

I have large constrictors as well, and they aren't ever going to see a rack or a tub or even one of those Sentec thingies... I don't think they're big enough for a burm or tic.

Chris
    "That cute little lizard in the pet shop will, in a few short years, become an enormous, ferocious carnivore; capable of breaking the family cat's neck in a single snap and swallowing it whole." - Daniel Bennett

passion.herp
    passionherp.com
    info@passionherp.com
    facebook.com/passion.herp

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12