Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,181

1 members and 3,180 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Tarantula Question(s)

Hello! I've started researching T's and started learning more about them after getting over my fear about them and now I've developed a fascination for them. However, I just have a few questions on them.

1.) What is the normal/average size to enclosure ratio? I'd probably keep one of the more 'fancy' T's out on display, but, duplicates or other T's that interest me most would be kept in tubs and such, so I just want to know what size of tubs, show cases, etc.
    2.) Where do you get enclosures from? I'm not talking about tubs, but actual 'show cases' so to speak. I know that quite a few people get them from Micheal's, but what are they labeled under, and what's the size for a large arboreal species, like an adult female P. Metallica?
    3.) How often do you change or bake the substrate? I know that you don't have to clean them much, just spot clean some of the leftovers and watch out for fungi that might grow in damp/humid enclosures, but other than that, how often do you change it?
    4.) What's the feeding rule for them? I know that some people say a large cricket/roach once a week for a large T, but I feel that's a bit lacking, or is that just me?
    5.) What is the average temp. for a desert (terrestrial), fossorial, arboreal, etc. species? I heard that room temp is fine, as long as you keep the substrate damp for some species.

And that's about it for now. And yes I know, it's probably better to get a NW T first, then move up to arboreals, then to OW, etc. I don't plan on getting any within the next few months, but if my dorm allows it in college, that I probably will.

Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,776 Times in 1,184 Posts

Tarantula Question(s)

Quote Originally Posted by theReptileGuy View Post
    Hello! I've started researching T's and started learning more about them after getting over my fear about them and now I've developed a fascination for them. However, I just have a few questions on them.

1.) What is the normal/average size to enclosure ratio? I'd probably keep one of the more 'fancy' T's out on display, but, duplicates or other T's that interest me most would be kept in tubs and such, so I just want to know what size of tubs, show cases, etc.
    2.) Where do you get enclosures from? I'm not talking about tubs, but actual 'show cases' so to speak. I know that quite a few people get them from Micheal's, but what are they labeled under, and what's the size for a large arboreal species, like an adult female P. Metallica?
    3.) How often do you change or bake the substrate? I know that you don't have to clean them much, just spot clean some of the leftovers and watch out for fungi that might grow in damp/humid enclosures, but other than that, how often do you change it?
    4.) What's the feeding rule for them? I know that some people say a large cricket/roach once a week for a large T, but I feel that's a bit lacking, or is that just me?
    5.) What is the average temp. for a desert (terrestrial), fossorial, arboreal, etc. species? I heard that room temp is fine, as long as you keep the substrate damp for some species.

And that's about it for now. And yes I know, it's probably better to get a NW T first, then move up to arboreals, then to OW, etc. I don't plan on getting any within the next few months, but if my dorm allows it in college, that I probably will.

Thanks!
    I'm no expert but ill help the best I can.

1. Depends on the T. A really heavy bodied T, like a huge Birdeater type. You wouldn't want a tall tank where the spider could fall and injure itself.
    Now a smaller bodied T like a GBB can have more height and an arboreal Ts will need taller with less floor space.
    A B. smithi would need more floor space. Etc.

2. An adult arboreal will need a flipped tank. Look around and you'll see what I'm talking about.
    A young one can use the acrylic boxes you are asking about. Acrylic display boxes. Hint hint I make enclosures :p

3. It can be years before a change. Once a year might be a good habit. If it doesn't smell or look all nasty, it should be fine.

4. Once a week. You can overfeed them. Adults can go months without food. You want the abdomen plump.

5. Room temps. I keep my bug room 80-82 but they will be fine in 74-76.
    Once they get 2-3" most you don't even need to keep the substrate damp. Just give them a water bowl. You kinda ween them away from it.

I suggest picking up the tarantula bible.
    Tarantula Keepers Guide. Schultz and his wife has been keeping Ts for over 40 years.

Tons of good info.

Hope that helps some. I'm sure others have different views or better thoughts.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 3skulls For This Useful Post:

Pampho85 (03-29-2013)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanks a bunch!

I think I'll come to you if I need an enclosure

Also, I know this question is over done, but what's your opinion on a beginner tarantula? I'd like to stick with a NW, and I've been really interested X. Immanis but I don't think others would agree it being a good starter, since it is relatively new in the hobby.
    Last edited by Pampho85; 03-29-2013 at 06:06 PM.

Thanks

Tarantula Question(s)

Oh and starting with OW vs NW. That's really up to you. If you have a good head and an understanding of animals, you could do fine with an OW.

If you never had a pet, scared of spiders. Get really jumpy then a NW might be best.

Find what you like, then do a ton of research. Know what you are getting.
    Know What the T could do.

Anything else, ask away.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 3skulls For This Useful Post:

Pampho85 (03-29-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,979 Times in 5,583 Posts

Tarantula Question(s)

The only thing I'd like to add to 3skulls response is start looking at a more docile species first. I'm getting my first T soon and was gunna get an OBT but decided against it bc of their speed and bad attitude. I saw you ask about H. lividium's in that other thread and mention P. metallica's here. Neither of those species are really considered "beginner" species.

I don't have any experience but I've been doing research for a few months. I just ordered that book 3skulls mentioned last night. It was like $10 on amazon. It looks pretty fat so it should definitely be worth it.
    1.0 normal bp
    mad roaches yo

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mike41793 For This Useful Post:

Pampho85 (03-29-2013)

Thanks

Tarantula Question(s)

Quote Originally Posted by theReptileGuy View Post
    Thanks a bunch!

I think I'll come to you if I need an enclosure

Also, I know this question is over done, but what's your opinion on a beginner tarantula? I'd like to stick with a NW, and I've been really interested X. Immanis but I don't think others would agree it being a good starter, since it is relatively new in the hobby.
    I have never worked with them and really don't know much about them.

What do you want? Webber, burrower, cool colors?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 3skulls For This Useful Post:

Pampho85 (03-29-2013)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Tarantula Question(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike41793 View Post
    The only thing I'd like to add to 3skulls response is start looking at a more docile species first. I'm getting my first T soon and was gunna get an OBT but decided against it bc of their speed and bad attitude. I saw you ask about H. lividium's in that other thread and mention P. metallica's here. Neither of those species are really considered "beginner" species.

I don't have any experience but I've been doing research for a few months. I just ordered that book 3skulls mentioned last night. It was like $10 on amazon. It looks pretty fat so it should definitely be worth it.
    I just mentioned those because I think they look pretty sweet, tbh. Haha. I wouldn't want an aggressive species such as those off the bat, and the venom I heard from P. Metallica isn't very nice to say the least haha. I'm looking to get the book soon too!
    And for the OBT, I've seen a few in person, and the ones I've seen, didn't seem too thrilled to meet me haha.

Quote Originally Posted by 3skulls View Post
    Oh and starting with OW vs NW. That's really up to you. If you have a good head and an understanding of animals, you could do fine with an OW.

If you never had a pet, scared of spiders. Get really jumpy then a NW might be best.

Find what you like, then do a ton of research. Know what you are getting.
    Know What the T could do.

Anything else, ask away.
    I have never worked with them and really don't know much about them.

What do you want? Webber, burrower, cool colors?
    I'll probably be sticking with NW, just to be on the safe side until I can handle them properly. Then arboreal so I can get the taste of how speedy they are, then OW.

I've been trying to gather up more info on them, but sadly there's not much.
    For a first T, I don't really mind, whichever one. From the info I have gathered tho, X. Immanis is a skittish, nervous T that sometimes does kick hair. I don't really like the idea of a hair kicker, but only one user reported it so. I love the colors on it tho! (An example can be found in my avatar!)

Thanks guys!

Thanks

Tarantula Question(s)

I have read that H. lividum can be up your arm and have bit you 2-3 times before you knew it was out :p

I hope I don't find out if its true or not.

"Pokies" are very fast. They don't run, they teleport. I don't have any but would love to get some soon.
    Avics are a great T to start with for an arboreal T.

If your dorm won't let you have a tarantula. Catch a few wolf spiders or maybe a jumping spider. Might help your fix. I have over 20 true spiders right now. Best part is they are free!!

Tarantulas are very addicting. I love my snakes but Its hard to beat keeping tarantulas. They are such amazing animals.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to 3skulls For This Useful Post:

Pampho85 (03-29-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,979 Times in 5,583 Posts

Tarantula Question(s)

Checkout GBB's. C. cyaneopubescens

Thats what I'm getting for my first T.
    1.0 normal bp
    mad roaches yo

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Mike41793 For This Useful Post:

Pampho85 (03-29-2013)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Tarantula Question(s)

I have read that H. lividum can be up your arm and have bit you 2-3 times before you knew it was out :p

I hope I don't find out if its true or not.

"Pokies" are very fast. They don't run, they teleport. I don't have any but would love to get some soon.
    Avics are a great T to start with for an arboreal T.

If your dorm won't let you have a tarantula. Catch a few wolf spiders or maybe a jumping spider. Might help your fix. I have over 20 true spiders right now. Best part is they are free!!

Tarantulas are very addicting. I love my snakes but Its hard to beat keeping tarantulas. They are such amazing animals.
    I've heard that too! I actually watched a video of an idiot who was provoking a male H. Lividum until it bit him. It seemed as if it was reluctant to strike until he got up in it's face.

Pokies are a big want for me, mainly because the P. Metallica comes from a town in India where a family member lives haha. And A. Versicolor is a pretty striking T!
    For some odd reason, I'm not a fan of true spiders tho haha.

I just love the idea of keeping many species of T, and they're not as expensive as the higher end morphs of most snakes and they're just as nice!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Pampho85 For This Useful Post:

3skulls (03-29-2013)

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast