Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,370

3 members and 3,367 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

what do you do for added protection in your snake room?

using flexwatt, heat tape and other methods for adding a hotspot for your snakes comes with a fire risk. I listed what I have done already as my snake room is located inside my home.

first my connections to my flexwatt is solder on. a lose connection = resistance, resistance causes heat which is a fire risk.
    I have 2 new herpstat 4 and a few herpstats nd's. I like the new ones as they also took in the risk of fires when they redesigned these.
    my herstats are ran thru a monster power surge protector as stated in the instructions that came with the herpstat 4.
    I also have a G.E. surge pro whole house surge protector on my circuit breaker box.
    the circuit breaker for my snake room is a combination arc fault circuit interrupter. (AFCI) which reduces a risk of an electrical fire greatly
    I also have smoke detectors in my home.

with so many fires we read about with this hobby from the larger breeders and I'm sure there's even more we don't hear about from the smaller breeders/ keepers. I like to hear what everyone else has done to insure the safety of their snakes and more important their families.

thanks don
    Last edited by don15681; 03-27-2013 at 11:20 PM.

Thanks

Re: what do you do for added protection in your snake room?

no one uses protection with their balls?

BPnet Veteran The Serpent Merchant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,300 Times in 2,344 Posts
    All of my cages are made from flame retardant material, so even if my heat tape were to malfunction there isn't anything that could hold a flame. My cages could melt and my reptiles could die but my house won't burn down. I use herpstat 4's 1 channel per heat source. No exceptions. In my opinion this is the biggest risk that people in this hobby take.

So between the safety features in my herpstat and the fact that my cages won't hold a flame I sleep well at night, but you can never be too careful.
    ~Aaron

0.1 Pastel 100% Het Clown Ball Python (Hestia)
    1.0 Coastal/Jungle Carpet Python (Shagrath)
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa (Nergal)

0.1 Bearded Dragon (Gaius)

1.0 Siberian Husky (Picard)
    0.1 German Shepherd/Lab Mix (Jadzia)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to The Serpent Merchant For This Useful Post:

don15681 (03-29-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by don15681 View Post
    no one uses protection with their balls?
    lol I couldn't help but giggle at this.

In all seriousness, I'd never thought of that before. More things to add to my list of things to keep in mind once I get a bigger collection.
    Alluring Constrictors

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Marrissa For This Useful Post:

don15681 (03-30-2013)

Thanks
    I'd be really curious to hear more responses, as I'm currently designing a snake room(s). I'm going to piggyback on your question, Don - what about insulation? Has anyone further insulated snake rooms - both interior & exterior walls. What R factor?
    BPs...
    2.3 Normals, 1.1 Pastels, 0.1 Spider, 1.1 100% het albinos, 1.1 albinos, 1.0 Mojave, 1.1 het pieds, 1.0 lesser, 0.1 pinstripe, 0.1 YB

Other reptilian goodness...

0.1 black motley corn, 0.1 western hognose

Wait, you have how many snakes???

8. The Following User Says Thank You to swansonbb For This Useful Post:

don15681 (03-30-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    In addition to what has been said (pvcs is one of the perfect materials to work with...) I run failsafes on every set up reguardless if it is a new herpstat or not everything can fail the added safety is worth the cost. I clean thourly and regularly as a part (and by necessity how do you clean a rack with out removing the heat tape ) all heating and lighting products are carefully inspected. Anything other than perfect is repaired/ replaced.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to kitedemon For This Useful Post:

don15681 (03-30-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by swansonbb View Post
    I'd be really curious to hear more responses, as I'm currently designing a snake room(s). I'm going to piggyback on your question, Don - what about insulation? Has anyone further insulated snake rooms - both interior & exterior walls. What R factor?
    you're going to get different answers on how to insulate your room. my snake room is a room built in my basement. it's in the part of my basement that's underground. but I still insulated all my walls and the ceiling. the outside walls I blown the insulation in. outside wall is block covered with drywall. the inside walls are studs with drywall on both sides and r-12. my basement usually gets in the low 50's in the winter. the ceiling is also insulated with r-12 and is a drop ceiling. if you use drywall I recommend the purple board and a very good kitchen/ bathroom paint that resist mold. good luck I hope this helps some don

12. The Following User Says Thank You to don15681 For This Useful Post:

swansonbb (03-30-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kitedemon View Post
    In addition to what has been said (pvcs is one of the perfect materials to work with...) I run failsafes on every set up reguardless if it is a new herpstat or not everything can fail the added safety is worth the cost. I clean thourly and regularly as a part (and by necessity how do you clean a rack with out removing the heat tape ) all heating and lighting products are carefully inspected. Anything other than perfect is repaired/ replaced.
    i think i read one of your posts before that you run a proportional thermostat thru an off/on thermostat in case the first one faults the second one will limit it from topping out at a dangerous level. I know the post had a drawing of it and it explained the wiring well. that exact setup is also in my plans.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts

15. The Following User Says Thank You to kitedemon For This Useful Post:

don15681 (03-30-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by don15681 View Post
    you're going to get different answers on how to insulate your room. my snake room is a room built in my basement. it's in the part of my basement that's underground. but I still insulated all my walls and the ceiling. the outside walls I blown the insulation in. outside wall is block covered with drywall. the inside walls are studs with drywall on both sides and r-12. my basement usually gets in the low 50's in the winter. the ceiling is also insulated with r-12 and is a drop ceiling. if you use drywall I recommend the purple board and a very good kitchen/ bathroom paint that resist mold. good luck I hope this helps some don
    I appreciate it! The house I'm looking at has a 1500 sq. ft. unfinished basement. It's been professionally waterproofed, and the bottom 5 feet or so is underground. I was considering putting foam board insulation along the exterior walls (R10, I think), then building the stud walls in front of that. Haven't decided on the interior walls yet. I'll probably insulate the ceilings using this: http://www.lowes.com/pd_386579-1278-...7C1&facetInfo=
    BPs...
    2.3 Normals, 1.1 Pastels, 0.1 Spider, 1.1 100% het albinos, 1.1 albinos, 1.0 Mojave, 1.1 het pieds, 1.0 lesser, 0.1 pinstripe, 0.1 YB

Other reptilian goodness...

0.1 black motley corn, 0.1 western hognose

Wait, you have how many snakes???

17. The Following User Says Thank You to swansonbb For This Useful Post:

don15681 (03-30-2013)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast