Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,370

1 members and 3,369 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Frozen food warming, in the tank?

I'm about to try to feed my BP for the first time later this week. She's used to live fuzzy rats, but I can only find the same thing around me frozen. I'm hoping I can get her to take them, but we'll see.

Anyway, I'm planning on thawing it and then warming it under the heat element in the tank. But would it be a bad/good idea to actually do this in the tank with the snake? I thought maybe the smell would pique her appetite as it warms up. Or would the opposite effect be likely?

Thanks!

Thanks
    Not a bad idea at all. I use a hair dryer and I make sure I blow the rat-scented air right towards my snakes so that way when I open their tubs they have the smell and are ready to eat as soon as i bring them the rat.
    1.0 firefly ball python
    1.0 100% Pastel het clown ball python
    1.0 Enchi ball python
    1.0 Super Pastel 100% het pied (Richard)
    0.1 Butter 100% het ghost
    0.1 Pastel 100% het pied (Keira)
    0.1 Butter 50% het Ghost Ball Python (Penny)
    0.1 100% het Ghost
    0.1 Normal Ball Python (Irwin)
    0.1 Mojave Ball Python (Eve)
    0.1 Black Bee Ball Python (Charolette)
    0.1 Pintripe (Olivia)
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa (Peaches)
    1.0 Bearded Dragon (Dude)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 831 Posts
    They track by heat. If you warm it on the heating element in the tank it'll just look like a bump on a log to the snake.
    Dreamtime Exotics -- Check it out!
    Ball Pythons, Monitors, Saltwater Reef, Fancy Rats, Ferrets

Thanks

Re: Frozen food warming, in the tank?

I wouldn't do it. My Boa's and Yellow Annie's will try to eat anything that i put into their enclosure, frozen or not.

I usually thaw out the rat overnight in the refrigerator then warm it up in a bowl of warm water near or on top of the snake enclosure.
    Last edited by SSALB; 03-26-2013 at 04:24 PM.
    Scaley critters:
    1.0 Boa Constrictor - Emerson 0.1 Green Iguana - Ricci
    0.1 Centralian Carpet Python - Charlotte 0.1 Blood Python
    0.1 Normal Ball Python 1.0 Granite Burmese Python - Peanut
    1.0 Normal Burmese Python - Peewee 0.0.1 Super Dalmatian Crested Gecko - Gus

Furry critters:
    0.1 American Pit Bull Terrier - Justice 0.1 German Shepherd Dog/Border Collie mix - Liberty 1.0 Rottweiler/Mastiff mix - Major 1.0 English Bulldog mix - 1.0 Ferret - Taz

Thanks

I wouldn't heat it up in the tank but maybe on top of the lid. put it in the fridge over night and then heat it up with a heat lamp or in some warm water near the snake to scent the room. Then offer the rat by grabbing it by the scruff of the neck and shaking it gently to mimic movement...just don't do it right in front of your snake's face. Let us know how it goes!

Thanks

I wouldn't put the prey in the tank to heat it up, your snake might smell it and just go right for it if the snake is still in the tank. I suggest not putting the prey in the tank at all because the smell might linger around the tank for god knows how long. Who knows, maybe if the smell of the prey is still in the tank, and you go and put your hand in the tank to handle your snake, the snake gets agressive because it thinks your the prey.

The way I heat my frozen mice up is, you boil water, put that water in a mug, put the prey in a ziploc plastic baggy, put that into the mug for about a minute or less. Then press on the mouse to see if it is warm and not still frozen. That should be good.

Good luck
    new ball python owner. baby male pastel named igor.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 831 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Quinnster View Post
    I wouldn't put the prey in the tank to heat it up, your snake might smell it and just go right for it if the snake is still in the tank. I suggest not putting the prey in the tank at all because the smell might linger around the tank for god knows how long. Who knows, maybe if the smell of the prey is still in the tank, and you go and put your hand in the tank to handle your snake, the snake gets agressive because it thinks your the prey.

The way I heat my frozen mice up is, you boil water, put that water in a mug, put the prey in a ziploc plastic baggy, put that into the mug for about a minute or less. Then press on the mouse to see if it is warm and not still frozen. That should be good.

Good luck
    You don't want to cook it. I'm not sure how much truth there is to this, but I think if the meat is cooked at all the snake can get very sick. I think a lot of people use hot water from the tap, but I wouldn't put it in actual boiling water.
    Dreamtime Exotics -- Check it out!
    Ball Pythons, Monitors, Saltwater Reef, Fancy Rats, Ferrets

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Thanks for all the responses everybody! I was implying that I'd thaw it probably in the fridge over night, and then just put it for a few minutes under the heat to warm up. At that point if the snake happened to just go for it and eat it, that wouldn't be a problem at all.

Also, I'm planning on feeding it with hemostats.

Should I move it around a bit where the snake can see and then leave it there, or actually wiggle it about in front of the snake until it strikes and takes it directly from the tongs?

(sorry if these are n00b, previously answered questions. I am a n00b.)
    Last edited by dkspftw; 03-26-2013 at 05:17 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrLang View Post
    You don't want to cook it. I'm not sure how much truth there is to this, but I think if the meat is cooked at all the snake can get very sick. I think a lot of people use hot water from the tap, but I wouldn't put it in actual boiling water.
    Yeah I know what you mean. I don't like fully boil the water, I just make it hot. I should have said that in my original post. And I also don't keep it in there for long.

Thanks

Well you shouldn't feed the snake in the tank anyways. You always should feed it seperate from the tank it lives in, because you don't want the snake to associate you opening the tank as feeding time, and become agressive and ready to eat. It's just like the theory of when Ivan Pavlov rung the bell and his dog started drooling because the dog associated that ringing of the bell as feeding time. If that makes sense.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast