Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,454

2 members and 3,452 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Alternative rack materials?

So my boyfriend got a bonus check from work and we were planning on using the money to build a rack. We're not sure of number of tubs or anything yet, we haven't gotten that far. But we can't get expanded PVC there (the money has to be used at the store he works at) and we've already ruled out Melamine due to the weight. Well, not completely but we want to avoid it.

I'd be super interested to hear of anything other than PVC or Melamine to build a rack out of and also see it.
    Black Pewter het Hypo Vestris; Black Pastel Enchi Zamira; Black Pastel Cheryn; Hypo Enchi Sofia; Lesser Pastel Eren; Super Mojave ???; Piebald Mako; Fire Vin; Pastel Estelle; Spider Hanji, Ezri; Normal Angelina, John, Aradia; Mojave Joe; Anerythreustic Kenyan Sand Boa ???; German Shepherd Dog Atticus; Rats Snowman, Colette, Calliope, Eliza, ???, ???

BPnet Veteran The Serpent Merchant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,300 Times in 2,344 Posts
    Metals will work well, especially aluminum the only downside is that you have to ground the rack or risk getting shocked.

High density foam could be made to work, but it might have longevity issues as well as heating issues.

Glass sheets could even be made to work if you have the right tools.

Knowing what is available would help.
    ~Aaron

0.1 Pastel 100% Het Clown Ball Python (Hestia)
    1.0 Coastal/Jungle Carpet Python (Shagrath)
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa (Nergal)

0.1 Bearded Dragon (Gaius)

1.0 Siberian Husky (Picard)
    0.1 German Shepherd/Lab Mix (Jadzia)

Thanks
    He works at Menards, so think kinda what Lowes and Home Depot have? We have $200 or so for the rack itself (not the tape or thermostat or tubs or anything, just the rack.)
    Black Pewter het Hypo Vestris; Black Pastel Enchi Zamira; Black Pastel Cheryn; Hypo Enchi Sofia; Lesser Pastel Eren; Super Mojave ???; Piebald Mako; Fire Vin; Pastel Estelle; Spider Hanji, Ezri; Normal Angelina, John, Aradia; Mojave Joe; Anerythreustic Kenyan Sand Boa ???; German Shepherd Dog Atticus; Rats Snowman, Colette, Calliope, Eliza, ???, ???

BPnet Veteran The Serpent Merchant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,300 Times in 2,344 Posts
    ok, well here are a few more things that come to mind:

Artificial decking. As long as it doesn't have any fungicides or other chemicals it should be safe and relatively easy to work with

I'm sure that plastic fencing material could be made to work

You could modify a cabinet or workbench

Closet shelving materials might work

You could make a cool looking rack out of ceramic tile and pavers. Just use liquid nails to hold it all together.

House siding could work.

really anything that has some strength and weather resistance will work.
    ~Aaron

0.1 Pastel 100% Het Clown Ball Python (Hestia)
    1.0 Coastal/Jungle Carpet Python (Shagrath)
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa (Nergal)

0.1 Bearded Dragon (Gaius)

1.0 Siberian Husky (Picard)
    0.1 German Shepherd/Lab Mix (Jadzia)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to The Serpent Merchant For This Useful Post:

Inarikins (03-25-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    Baltic birch ply. It is about the best wood material I have found (aside from true marine plys like brynzeel) the cores are fine and there are a lot that makes the material stable strong and allows for a thinner with the same strength.

Hosted on Fotki

7. The Following User Says Thank You to kitedemon For This Useful Post:

Inarikins (03-26-2013)

Thanks
    The only Baltic birch we found was 1/4" but we did decide on plain Birch 1/2" plywood and are going to make an 8-shelf 31-quart/6-quart combo rack. Is polyeuruthane enough to seal the wood or should we use something more specialized?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,036 Times in 2,147 Posts
    Once upon a time I had little money to invest so I bought a melamine book shelf, locking lid tubs, heat tape, thermostat and put this together.

Cheap, effective, and it allows you to buy a proportional thermostat to keep the best temps with.

Sure you can build a cheap rack for $200, but then you need a reliable thermostat ...
    Last edited by snakesRkewl; 03-26-2013 at 10:47 PM.
    Jerry Robertson

Thanks
    We'll be investing in a thermostat, definitely. It's just that this is basically free money and we're planning on embiggening our collection and want to not have to worry about space. It's almost stupid not to take advantage of this. The money we're not spending on buying a rack is going to the snake fund and a thermostat.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I use 3/4" plywood then paint the outside and edges and use water based polly on the inside. i also use locking lid tubs and use the lid. i figure with a wood rack better to keep as much moisture away from the wood as possible.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    Polyurethane well cured is fine. I would venture to say that Baltic birch 1/4 is stronger than 1/2 poplar with a thin veneer of birch. It is odd that you cannot find heavier, I can order it from 1/16 to 1 inch. Odd it is great to work with.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast