Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,742

1 members and 2,741 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,129
Threads: 248,574
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, KILLER112397

Thread: Coughing?

Thanks

Coughing?

About 11:40 last night I was finally getting to be when I heard a strange sound. I turn on the light and I see Steve Rogers with his mouth wide open, making a sound akin to a cat hacking a hairball or a cough. He did this a few times, stretched his jaw out, and then went about his night like nothing was wrong. I took him out to examine him and he was alert and acted completely normal.

I know coughing is a potential sign of an RI, but he hadn't shown any other symptoms. I stayed up longer to watch him and he didn't have any discharge or bubbling. He wasn't rubbing up against the sides of the glass and he was going about his usual business of wedging himself between the glass and his foam 'cliff', which makes the single most annoying noise ever. (I swear sometimes he does it just to wake me up at 3 AM.)

His enclosure was a little too hot, and I adjusted that down as quickly as possible. A little background here, I'm living in a dorm room and we had to leave for spring break. We kept him in a smaller enclosure that wasn't as well heated as his other enclosure. We couldn't keep him in the building for the week because we're actually required to take pets home, unplug all appliances(except fridges) and turn the heat down quite a bit.

I'm rather concerned. He never made the noise again that night...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,206 Posts
    I would just monitor him, since there were no other suspicious signs or symptons. Ball pythons can't actually cough in the same sense that we do, so I'm not sure what you witnessed, but it was probably just an anomaly.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Annarose15 For This Useful Post:

EarthlyMaiden (03-25-2013)

Thanks

Thumbs up

Okay, good news. I haven't heard any more strange noises out of him, and he's doing well. I gave his place a good cleaning and a new bedding.
    He wandered around his vivarium for a minute or two, looking at all his things(trying to make sure I didn't mess up his Feng Shui, or at least noting where everything is), then curled back up and went to sleep, silently cursing me for waking him up at noon.