Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,283

1 members and 3,282 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

My T just molted and it was good!

I got pink toe (it was sold as a metallic for more $ but I am thinking it might be A. Avicularia) about a month ago. It was a good 2'' leg span. After about a week it clearly showed an upcoming molt so I waited...and waited...and waited. It seems snakes, lizards, and amphibians have less of an ordeal when they shed. Yesterday it built a nice web canopy right on the coco fiber substrate. It even strapped webbing around it's left and right 3rd legs. I didn't know why it would do such a thing because I thought spiders were flawless in their use of webbing. Well it did it on purpose because it used the straps to gain leverage coming out of the molt.

I think the reason why invertebrate molting is more of an ordeal is because this spider is now 3'' leg span. It was a dramatic change and the colors are just popping. I figure in about 3-4 days it will be time to feast, but until then it was just cool to see a tarantula "giving birth" to itself. I really wish I A) had a good camera, and B) wasn't completely terrible at taking all kinds of photos.
    Ride the snake, ride the snake/ To the lake, the ancient lake, baby/ The snake is long, seven miles/ Ride the snake...he's old, and his skin is cold... (The End, The Doors)
    _____________________________________________________________________________
    Ball python 1.1 Leopard Gecko 1 Crested Gecko 1 African Side Neck Turtle 0.1 Giant Plated Lizard 1 Ribbon Snake 0.0.1 Corn Snake 0.0.1 Tiger Salamander 0.0.1 Metallic Pinktoe Tarantula 0.1 Black Lab/Pit Bull mix 1

2. The Following User Says Thank You to nachash For This Useful Post:

3skulls (04-08-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,287 Times in 921 Posts

Re: My T just molted and it was good!

Neat! Did you get to watch the whole thing?? I always miss mine....cuz they usually do it at night when Im sleeping We got in an adorable pink toe at work, about 2" legspan, but my husband would KILL me if I came home with another T. Its very pretty too. Why don't you post before and after pics? Even crappy ones are accepted
    ALL THAT SLITHERS - Ball Python aficionado/keeper
    breeder of African soft fur Rats. Keeper of other small exotic mammals.
    10 sugar gliders

2 tenrecs
    5 jumping spiders
    paludarium with fish
    Brisingr the albino
    Snowy the BEL
    Piglet the albino conda hognose

FINALLY got my BEL,no longer breeding snakes. married to mechnut450..

Thanks
    Thanked 1,776 Times in 1,184 Posts

My T just molted and it was good!

I love catching them in molt. Such a cool thing to witness.

I'm guessing you already know but..
    Make sure you give her a week or more to allow the fangs to harden before feeding.

And yes even crappy pics work here!

Thanks

Re: My T just molted and it was good!

Sorry, haven't been on in awhile and forgot about this thread, given the life of a T/ owner is just so exuberant. I actually did see it pop out of the top of the prosoma, and it kinda did this pumping action to release itself, but it did the legs first and then finished with the big caboose, which by the time the opisthosoma was really small.

Oh I gave it a while before I did anything but look at it. I actually am up to a new project right now involving dubia roaches, and animals that like eatng dubia roaches, and Shelob is one of those critters. CHeers!
    Ride the snake, ride the snake/ To the lake, the ancient lake, baby/ The snake is long, seven miles/ Ride the snake...he's old, and his skin is cold... (The End, The Doors)
    _____________________________________________________________________________
    Ball python 1.1 Leopard Gecko 1 Crested Gecko 1 African Side Neck Turtle 0.1 Giant Plated Lizard 1 Ribbon Snake 0.0.1 Corn Snake 0.0.1 Tiger Salamander 0.0.1 Metallic Pinktoe Tarantula 0.1 Black Lab/Pit Bull mix 1