Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,295

0 members and 3,295 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Optimum feeding frequency?

My BP is an adult male (6 years old) that weighs 1392 grams and seems to be in excellent health. I recently acquired him from a man who had raised him from a hatchling. Very tame, docile, sweet snake. His previous owner was feeding him one medium f/t rat every two weeks. I have read a couple of Ball Python books and have reviewed many posts on this forum concerning feeding. It seems the most frequently recommended feeding schedule is one appropriate size prey item every week. I just bought a couple dozen frozen rats and randomly weighed six of them this morning. They range in weight from 122 grams to 151 grams. I am familiar with the 10%-15% rule and am guessing one of these rats is about right for a single meal. What I'm uncertain of is how often I should feed my snake. Every week? Or every 2 weeks as his previous owner was doing? Opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 1,377 Posts
    Once a week seems to be the most agreed upon schedule...
    Lucifer Sam, Siam cat...
    Always sitting by your side,
    Always by your side...
    That cat's something I can't explain...

Thanks
    Thanked 3,036 Times in 2,147 Posts
    Adult males do just fine on a 7-10 day schedule, but every 14 days with a nice sized meal wouldn't be horrible.
    Jerry Robertson

Thanks

Re: Optimum feeding frequency?

This just seems like one of those things that most people go on because of conventional wisdom, which stated above makes for one prey item per week. But I think it is a valuable question to ask because questioning conventional can be good at times (I mean questioning, not flying in the face of it I also follow the same pattern). Maybe because they gain a reputation as finicky eaters it could be possible that some snakes don't have a metabolism to justify a weekly meal. When it comes to some balls (mine cough cough) all you can do is offer the option once a week. But when they take the prey, oh what a week! Seriously, I can't think of anything more gratifying than my balls eating.... (hehehehe)
    Ride the snake, ride the snake/ To the lake, the ancient lake, baby/ The snake is long, seven miles/ Ride the snake...he's old, and his skin is cold... (The End, The Doors)
    _____________________________________________________________________________
    Ball python 1.1 Leopard Gecko 1 Crested Gecko 1 African Side Neck Turtle 0.1 Giant Plated Lizard 1 Ribbon Snake 0.0.1 Corn Snake 0.0.1 Tiger Salamander 0.0.1 Metallic Pinktoe Tarantula 0.1 Black Lab/Pit Bull mix 1

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts
    10-15% meals is more for hatchlings and growing juvis.
    Small-med rats are optimal for adults.

7-10 days is a good feeding schedule. But like Jerry said, 14 isn't bad either.