Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,338

2 members and 3,336 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
    Thanks

Tubs Vs. Tanks Feeding

First of all, let me thanks whoever learned that BP's thrive in tubs rather than glass tanks.

For the last month or so, my BP "Shy" refused every single meal that I offered. So naturally I figured it was something I was doing wrong. I'm very skeptical about the "bp's stop eating at certain times of the year" mumbo-jumbo. But what could be causing Shy to no longer want food. I handled regularly as usual, the humidity stayed around 60 in the fish tanks and the temps seemed accurate also; 90-92 on the warm side, and 78-83 on the cool side.

Well, after countless numbers of no-sleep nights, and running back and forth to check on temps in the tank, i finally decided to buy a sterillite tub. Actually 3 different tubs, whom sizes were wayyy to big for my Shy. Eventually the last one I got was a 12 qt rubbermaid tub that was a clearish-purple color. It took a while for me to just leave Shy alone, so it could get use to its new home, and I was constantly changing things, and constantly offering food. Then I saw this one youtube vid and this guy said, " only offer food once a week, until its feeding again". This was a struggle for me because I'm a creature of habit.

This last week, I weight Shy and said "Im not going to handle you for one week, and offer food after 6 days, on the seventh day(no pun intended).

This morning which is Sunday March 24, 2013, I offer a f/t small mice and Shy instantly when for it. It was like a parent watching their child on graduation day! Even though all the temps/humidity/ double hide/ uth were accurate in the fish tank, it just didnt offer the privacy that was needed.(this is my opinion at least) . Now Shy is in a book shelf thats the perfect size for her tube, which also provides the dark walls to limit visual and offer more security. The humidity is a breeze to maintain, and I can also view Shy whenever I choose.

Im happy.
    Signing off, Seany Stacks da Black Saudi www.blacksaudient.com

2. The Following User Says Thank You to SeanyStacks For This Useful Post:

carlson (03-24-2013)

Thanks

Tubs Vs. Tanks Feeding

Tubs are nice haha guess what if you build a rack you can have more snakes too lol glad you got it all figured out with shy
    Normals 1.3
    Spider .1
    Carpet Python .1
    Dog APBT .1

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts

Re: Tubs Vs. Tanks Feeding

Congrats! I bet it feels amazing.
    And gotta love the tubs for the shy babies.

They sure are sensitive to open spaces, so the tubs work great.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Thanks
    hey i have just come out of a non feeding stage too. Mine wasn't from tank to tub though. I was from 41qt tub to 28qt tub. same color tubs just different size. Crazy thing is my snakes are 1000gr each and 3 of them just would not eat in their 41qt's. Go figure, they ate in there all last year until dec 2012. finding the right encloser is a big part of the husbandry practice i'm finding out.
    Glad your snake is back on the right track. Best of luck to ya.
    0.2 pastel Jewel & Buttercup
    0.1 albino Electra
    0.1 yellow belly? Camille
    0.1 black-back granite Dulche'
    0.1 bumblebee Sugar Cookie
    1.0 orange ghost Smokey Robinson
    1.0 cinnamon Big red
    1.0 chocolate count chochula
    1.0 yellow belly Jean Pierre'
    1.0 pastel specter? Crush